What's new

Four soldiers killed in NWaziristan suicide bomb attack

Owais

Reaction score
Four soldiers killed in NWaziristan suicide bomb attack

MIRANSHAH (updated on: January 22, 2007, 14:32 PST): A suicide car bomber blew himself up close to a army convoy in a tribal zone bordering Afghanistan on Monday, killing four soldiers and wounding several others, officials said.

The convoy was travelling to Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan region, from the nearby town of Bannu when the blast hit its lead vehicle, security officials said.

Authorities signed a peace deal with militants in North Waziristan last September. Foreign forces in Afghanistan say attacks in the neighbouring country have since risen.

"It is now confirmed that it was a suicide attack," a security official in Miranshah told AFP. Officials had said earlier that it was a remote-controlled roadside bomb.

"The vehicle used in the blast was totally destroyed," he said.

One military vehicle was destroyed and four soldiers were killed and up to 20 injured in the incident near the Khajoori check post, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) east of Miranshah, officials said on condition of anonymity.

Military spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan also said it was an apparent suicide bombing, but said that three soldiers died and nine were injured, some critically.

"The incident took place at about 10:30 am (0530 GMT) on Bannu-Miranshah Road. A white colour car came and exploded near the convoy. It appears to be a suicide attack," Sultan said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast.

Sultan added that it was too early to tell if the attack was linked to a Pakistani air strike in the Zamzola area of neighbouring South Waziristan region last Tuesday that destroyed a suspected al Qaeda hideout.

Military officials initially said up to 30 "foreign terrorists" and their local facilitators were believed killed in the raid, although local authorities later said they had found only nine bodies. Ten others were wounded, they said.

Residents, denying the presence of foreigners, claimed the strike killed local tribesmen and Afghan labourers. Some militants at a protest rally vowed to avenge the air strike.

On Sunday two policemen were wounded in a similar roadside blast near a police van in the town of Tank, abutting South Waziristan district.

brecorder.com

Its a bit like NATO really.

An attack on one (South Waziristan in this instance) is an attack on all (North and South Waziristan)

No doubt there are Foreigners, Al Qaeda and Taliban in the area as the Pathan code of Pashtunwali offers hospitality to all even an enemy.

It is very difficult to justify any attack by the armed forces due to the sheer difficulty of identifying the enemy which will and has led to inevitable collateral damage.

The mentality of these people is that they are one and that any injustice percieved must be avenged called Badal under the code of Pashtunwali.

These areas are seen as lawless due to the fact that Tribal Jirgas or councils decide the fate of the accused and that only 44 Pakistani federal laws apply in the FATA and those apply only on roads.

The situation is clear but lacks a clear solution and even then it is not pleasant.

What is clear is that our Soldiers are killing our own people and in my opinion this is not the way forward.
Having said that there is still no better solution at this time.

The only way forward I can see borders insanity.

1) Fight by the American Model of search and destroy employed in Vietnam.

2) Landmines and fencing of the Durand line (Not as Bad as 1)

No doubt there are Foreigners, Al Qaeda and Taliban in the area as the Pathan code of Pashtunwali offers hospitality to all even an enemy.

These peoples words are worthless. They have shown over and over again that they will not honour there words i use to think these people lived by honour but i doubt there is any body out there that will believe there words.

It is very difficult to justify any attack by the armed forces due to the sheer difficulty of identifying the enemy which will and has led to inevitable collateral damage.

colletral demage could be controlled if Army wanted to just as Nato is doing it in Agfghanistan Any vehicle or person Approching first a warning shot second bulls eye.
if these people insist on doing thing that harms pakistans.As far as iam concerned They deserve more Missiles up there wasso.

The mentality of these people is that they are one and that any injustice percieved must be avenged called Badal under the code of Pashtunwali.
These areas are seen as lawless due to the fact that Tribal Jirgas or councils decide the fate of the accused and that only 44 Pakistani federal laws apply in the FATA and those apply only on roads.

Its about bloody time they are put under pakistans laws and regulations.if these people travel abroad whos passport they using.And if they prefer to live like there Afghan cousins please feel free to cross the border and dont come back.

What is clear is that our Soldiers are killing our own people and in my opinion this is not the way forward.
Having said that there is still no better solution at this time.

so let me get this straight when pakistan Army kills them (for harbouring anti pakistan thugs). They are pakistanies.but when they chose to attack pakistan armed forces.Then they have there own laws and regulations and they are not part of pakistan.This bull c.r.a.p. reasons all over pakistans have to be finished either you are pakistanis or you are not simple as that.dont like that deal feel free to go back which ever country you belong to.

welcome to tribalism and nationalism. Pakistani politics as they are know for lead to the humiliating and disgraced partition of pakistan into Bangla. Every Province is on the verge of separation in Pakistan. Corruption is all level high and the rich politicians all have green cards to fly away. leaving behind political animocities and harted which will dissiolve pakistan into a wastes land very soon.

Expensive bit of kit i saw on BBC news that Royal Marines have asked for more of are are hand held thermal imaging devices.

These help to show up explosives on a Person like the concealed vests containing the bombs.

The British army is now supplying new body armour for sentries as well.

Costly as they are it would be wise to get some for forces in Waziristan.

Cheetah 786

Terrorists are the enemy not Pakistanis living in FATA.

Don't make the mistake of confusing the two as every individual in FATA is not a terrorist. The only reason they even kicked up a fuss was because their families were getting caught up in the crossfire.

Does an innocent man not have the right to defend his family and home?

We should celebrate cultural differences which are unique to our homeland not blow them up with missiles.

Aping the west in a Kemal Attaturk fashion by ethnic cleansing of groups of people is wrong.

It is shameful that soldiers who sign on to fight for their country are being made to turn the gun on fellow citizens.

I wholly disagree with terrorism and anything to do with it but I cannot tolerate the killiing of those I see as fellow Pakistanis.

Having said that

If Pakistan were to beat the seven shades of hell out of the terrorists in FATA I would not see it as a bad thing.

To do this I would look at procuring smart artillary shells like Krasnopol or Copper head cannon launched projectiles coupled with forward observers and lots of 50 cal sniper rifles.

A bit more finnesse is required that a 500lb bomb can't give.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom