What's new

FLASH! Indian 155-mm Self-Propelled Howitzer Big Begins All Over Again

Hope they take the BAE Systems M777, FH-77B05 L52 and FH77 BW ARCHER for their Ultra Light,Towed and Mounted Field howitzers respectively.For the wheeled and tracked Self Propelled howitzer I would prefer if they take systems having same turret like Rheinmetall RTG-52 and RWG-52 or Denel G6-52 and T6.So it's easier for troops to train.

Last edited:
I would suggest the Bhim should not be compared with the mounted Howitzers you mentioned above.Bhim is a self-propelled tracked howitzer.The CAESAR,ATMOS,ARCHER & Denel T5 are all mounted howitzer's that is they are mounted on a truck for higher mobility and are light weight
but still require the crew to get down and load each shell manually apart from the ARCHER which has an automated system but still requires crew to load ammunition once it's exhausted it's shells.

Bhim T6,RTG-52,PzH 2000 likewise have a crew mounted turret

If they do issue new tenders hope these be the contenders

Ultra Light Howitzers
BAE Systems M777
ST Kinetics SLWH Pegasus

Towed Field Howitzers
BAE Systems FH 77B05 L52
Denel Land Systems G5-2000
Soltams ATHOS
ST Kinetics FH-2000

Mounted Howitzers
BAE Systems ARCHER
Denel Land Systems T5-52
Soltams ATMOS 2000
Nexter CAESAR
Soltams RASCAL

Self-Propelled Wheeled Howitzers
Denel Land Systems G6-52
Rheinmetall RWG-52
ShKH ZUZANA/ZUZANA 2

Self-Propelled Tracked Howitzers
Denel Land Systems T6-52/Bhim
Rheinmetall RTG-52
ShKH HIMALAYA/HIMALAYA 2(They already have a L52 turret for the ZUZANA 2 so I am hoping they would create one as well for a tracked chasis)
Krauss-Maffei Wegmann PzH 2000
Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Artillery Gun Module
Nexter GCT AUF2
AS90 Bravehart
HSW S.A. AHS Krab
Samsung Techwin K9 Thunder

First of all, welcome to PD forum!

Secondly, the howitzers mention in my post was in the IA self-propelled howitzer competition, so I guess "mounted howitzer" is your own classification right? I compared it only to Bhim to see what differeces, because Bhim is a bigger and more capable self-propelled howitzer.
However, now that we know that Denel is banned and most likely also the co-developments of Rheinmetall with Denel, we can rule out Bhim, G5/G6, RTG/RWG, which clearly leaves BAE Systems FH 77 versions in front.

Btw, you mentioned ShKH HIMALAYA/HIMALAYA 2 and the ZUZANA 2, can you provide more details on them?

First of all, welcome to PD forum!

Secondly, the howitzers mention in my post was in the IA self-propelled howitzer competition, so I guess "mounted howitzer" is your own classification right? I compared it only to Bhim to see what differeces, because Bhim is a bigger and more capable self-propelled howitzer.
However, now that we know that Denel is banned and most likely also the co-developments of Rheinmetall with Denel, we can rule out Bhim, G5/G6, RTG/RWG, which clearly leaves BAE Systems FH 77 versions in front.

Btw, you mentioned ShKH HIMALAYA/HIMALAYA 2 and the ZUZANA 2, can you provide more details on them?

Thankyou
No No the mounted howitzer's aren't my own classification.According to the field howitzer rationalisation plan the Indian Army is looking for Ultra-Light, Towed, Truck Mounted/Mounted, Wheeled Self-Propelled & Tracked Self-Propelled howitzers.I do not now the exact numbers but I think IA is going for 400 off the shelf deliveries and another 1000+ indigenously made towed howitzers they want another 814 mounted howitzer for which the RFP was made in which they made the mistake of classifying it both as self-propelled and towed howitzer.Also SOLTAMS, DENEL and BAE Systems classify the ATMOS,T5-52 and ARCHER as mounted howitzer systems not self-propelled.

The ZUZANA 2 system was showcased in 2008 I believe.Google it you'll get some information in Military Photos.net.It has a L52 155mm Howitzer instead of the older L45 howitzer.Also they have made some changes to the chassis and up-armoured it.No info on the HIMALAYA 2 though.It doesn't even exist as of now.But putting on the turret wouldn't take that much of effort
Here's a photo of the ZUZANA 2
zuzanad.jpg

Back
Top Bottom