What's new

Five arrested for hoisting Pakistani flag in India

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

The Anand police arrested five people on Monday for allegedly hoisting a Pakistani national flag at a dargah in Umreth. The police said the flag was not brought from Pakistan, but was locally sewn.

Anand Superintendent of Police A K Jadeja said flags are hoisted in the shrine called Jorasawa Na Bewa no Dargah to mark the beginning of Ramzan. “This year, they added a white strip to the flag, which caused uproar.”

He said the arrested neither have a police record nor suspected radical links, adding that the act “may have been done deliberately to cause communal disharmony in the area”. He added, “The matter is still under investigation.”

Sub Inspector A M Patel, who filed the case against five people — including the two dargah trustees, Misri Khan Pathan and Habib Khan Pathan — said two Pakistani flags were seen tied to a neem tree since the first day of Ramzan. “The locals in the area noticed the flags tied to a neem tree,” he said. He added that the two trustees run small-time business from Khadi mai ke Tekra. The other arrested include Sajid Khan Pathan, Ismail Pathan and Allahrakha Pathan, all labourers.

Patel said the other three accused helped in putting the flags on the tree.

The police said Umreth is a communally sensitive town, adding that Ode, which had witnessed one of the worst communal massacres in 2002, is a neighbouring village.

No Freedom of Speech in the "world's largest democracy".

Interesting that this comes just 2 days before the Gujarat assembly bypolls on Sep 10. Gujarat is still has a communal atmosphere despite the situation improving. I won't be surprised if some miscreants have planted the flag even if it really is a pakistani flag. It was just give some ammo to praivar groups to scare voters to BJP. Given the fact that without communal politcs, BJP has an uphill taks to regain its position.

Modi missing from election campaign for Gujarat bypolls - India - NEWS - The Times of India

AHMEDABAD: Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi, who was BJP's star campaigner in the last Lok Sabha polls, is conspicuously missing from the
election campaign in seven assembly seats where bypolls are scheduled on September 10.

Campaigning for the bypolls will be over by Tuesday evening, but so far Modi has not addressed any public meeting or visited any of the seven segments.

"CM has decided not to campaign in the bypolls as local leaders are managing the election affairs," a close aide of Modi said.

"BJP has deputed ministers, party MPs, MLAs and other leaders to campaign in the bypolls for the seven assembly segments," State BJP president Purushottam Rupala said, adding that Modi had held a meeting with the local leaders of the respective constituencies.

Interestingly, six of the seven assembly segments going to the bypolls were held by the Congress, while one seat was with the BJP.

The seven segments are Kodinar, Jasdan, Dhoraji and Chotila in Saurashtra and Dehgam, Sami and Danta in North Gujarat.

The saffron party, which has seen drubbing in the Junagadh Municipal elections and unfavourable results in the last Lok Sabha polls in the state, has so far not made any claim regarding the seats it would win.

"We will not get into number games but I can say that we will win more seats than one which was held by us," a senior BJP leader said.

Meanwhile, the Congress has contended that since situation is not favourable for the ruling party, Modi is not campaigning in the bypolls.

"Modi knows it very well that party's prospects are not bright in these bypolls therefore he is avoiding direct involvement in the campaigning," leader of opposition Shaktisinh Gohil alleged.

@Omar raising any countries' flag other than by an Embassy or the like is a criminal offence just as it is in Pakistan.

@Omar raising any countries' flag other than by an Embassy or the like is a criminal offence just as it is in Pakistan.

Criminal offense by whome? By law? I highly doubt it, please show us where it says in the constitution that raising any countries flag is a criminal offense? Or does this only apply to India?

People roam around with different flags all the time here from almost every country maybe except Israel and even if someone was carrying an Israeli flag i doubt he would be charged with criminal offense. There are tons of American and British flags that people carry all the time, even images of flags on T-shirts etc.

I can roam around with a Pakistani and Canadian flag and no one has the right to say anything to me, i really don't know where it says that carrying flag is a criminal offense

That's funny. Its not a criminal offence in Pakistan to raise other countries' flag and its not a criminal offence in any democratic country (except india) to raise other countries' flag.

Just in another thread an indian was comparing india to usa. go visit New York, see what flag Italian resturants in New York have hanging otside their windows and its not an American flag.

Like I said the Gujarat atmosphere is communally charged despuite the sitaution improving. If raising a flag is made out as threat to national integreity it will be a criminal offence. The police (who very well could be biased) will frame their charges around that if they ever do so.

I have seen many such cases before and they would just arrest people and raise this issue in the media. Then these people are quietly released for lack of evidence ofcourse. But the story is there in the media and thats the main goal.

Waving flags of frienship is a totally different thing. When Pakistan cricket team was in India couple of years back, many people waved the Pakistani flag as moral support.

Here is an example where Baluchis flying another flag (represnting independant Balochistan) were arrested. And rightly so, because they threaten Pakistan integrity. Hope that clears it up.

A challenge to integrity | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Here is an example where Baluchis flying another flag (represnting independant Balochistan) were arrested. And rightly so, because they threaten Pakistan integrity. Hope that clears it up.

A challenge to integrity | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Balochistan is NOT a country.

As I said in my previous post, raising another COUNTRY's flags is NOT a criminal offense in Pakistan or any other democratic country except india.

Is india that insecure that if Pakistan's flag is raised in a few places in india, they think their country is doomed?

^^^^^

How many time have you seen American flag Hoisted in your country apart from some diplomatic venue.....in some protests maybe ...where people just like to burn flags...:pop:

^^^

I asked you a question...How many times have you seen American or Indian Flags hoisted in your country..except for some Diplomatic reason?

Give me a simple answer...

Criminal offense by whome? By law? I highly doubt it, please show us where it says in the constitution that raising any countries flag is a criminal offense? Or does this only apply to India?

People roam around with different flags all the time here from almost every country maybe except Israel and even if someone was carrying an Israeli flag i doubt he would be charged with criminal offense. There are tons of American and British flags that people carry all the time, even images of flags on T-shirts etc.

I can roam around with a Pakistani and Canadian flag and no one has the right to say anything to me, i really don't know where it says that carrying flag is a criminal offense

What about an Indian Flag? .. I can get away with running around with an Israeli flag rather than an Indian one ..

Those people deserved to be punished to the full extent of the law. They are miscreants and they got caught .. I would expect the same from our govenment if they find such instigators.

^^^

I asked you a question...How many times have you seen American or Indian Flags hoisted in your country..except for some Diplomatic reason?

Give me a simple answer...

No one in their right mind would hoist an indian flag in Pakistan but even if they do they wont get arrested for it.

Also you will see many different countries' flags, including USA, hoisted in Pakistan especially in Islamabad.

No one in their right mind would hoist an indian flag in Pakistan but even if they do they wont get arrested for it.

They will probably kill the guy who does that...by declaring him enemy of the state...

Also you will see many different countries' flags, including USA, hoisted in Pakistan especially in Islamabad.

Those flags will be on buildings of Diplomatic importance.....

de8405dfddee4cd241221f8bf03f545c.jpg
They were 6 persons not 5

The complaint, which was filed under Section 153A of Indian Penal Code, has been clamped for promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language among others and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony.

6 held for hoisting Pak flag over dargah - Vadodara - City - NEWS - The Times of India

Balochistan is NOT a country.

As I said in my previous post, raising another COUNTRY's flags is NOT a criminal offense in Pakistan or any other democratic country except india.

Is india that insecure that if Pakistan's flag is raised in a few places in india, they think their country is doomed?

You're missing my point. I'll give it one last try.

Its Ramazan and people use green flags and colors and stars and crescnets as decoration. I'm saying that its probably not even a Pakistani flag. Most people even Hindus understand that the cultural association of Green and crescents with muslims. The report said that it was on a dargah since the start of Ramazan. No one mentioned anything or reported about it until just before the polls. Why?

Like I said, this is most likely a ploy just before the Gujarat bypolls. The place is close to the capital of Gujarat and just like you believe that muslims there have hoisted it, there will be many Hindus who will feel the same and prefer to vote BJP. Having seen so many recent terrorist attacks coming from Pakistan, this is tend to give electoral benefits.

If it was a US flag at the dargah, no one would have raised it as an issue. Like I said earlier, during the cricket tours when the Pakistani team came to India, people were waving Pakistani flags as well as Indian, there was no problem then.

^^^^^

How many time have you seen American flag Hoisted in your country apart from some diplomatic venue.....in some protests maybe ...where people just like to burn flags...:pop:

Nonsense i've seen many people carrying American Flags in Pakistan. My friend has both a British Flag and a Pakistan flag on his car and roams around Lahore all the time,? I used to have a Japanese flag which my uncle brought from Japan outside my house so i fail to see your point.

In Toronto you'll see like 10 thousand different flags outside peoples cars, restaurants, Irish pubs, clubs you name it. I think this whole criminal offense thing is just made up!! i can lay down 10 dollars that in India people are free to carry what ever flag they want. Like i said please show me where in your constitution does it say to carry another countries flag is a criminal offense or where does it say in your law books and i will gladly take whatever i said back

Back
Top Bottom