First 560MW gas turbine arrives Karachi

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
First 560MW gas turbine arrives Karachi

Updated at: 1023 PST, Sunday, July 04, 2010
First 560MW gas turbine arrives Karachi KARACHI: The Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) has announced the arrival of the first gas turbine for its 560 megawatt (MW) Combined Cycle Power Plant at the Bin Qasim site.

According to a KESC press release issued on Saturday, the 377 million dollars project, called the BQPS-2, is being financed through a combination of equity funded by shareholders and long term loans provided by the Asian Development Bank, International Finance Corporation, and a syndicate of Pakistani banks.

Two more gas turbines of the BQPS-2 project are expected to arrive in Karachi in the middle of July.

The shipments of associated auxiliaries of the power plant have already landed and the ground work is in full swing. Installation of the turbines will commence in August.

The first gas turbine of the plant will start providing electricity to the KESC power network in June 2011, second in July 2011 and third in August on the open cycle mode the same year .The combined cycle operation of the plant will start in March 2012.

According to the KESC statement, the Environmental Monitoring Plan of the 560 MW power generation project has been initiated while the Detail Design Engineering Review is in progress.

Pilling work for gas and steam turbines has been completed, foundation of GT-1 has been poured, intake and outfall channel work and fuel oil tank foundation works are in progress with rapid pace.

The three gas turbines are manufactured by GE, France, and the steam turbine has been procured from HARBIN, China which is the Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC) Contractor for this project.

Good stuff but we should be able to produce these turbines oursleves what is stopping us ? from making 100 of these turbines ? We have no sanctions against us , and mechanical designs of such turbines are no rocket science, its like 1900 technology

I was wondering about the gas supply :angry:
We are already facing gas load-shedding crisis

If we get electricity, there will be a shortage of gas

This is great news. For all the self-deprecation we are guilty of - as a nation - it's nice to see that long term objectives we often talk about are slowly but surely being achieved, one step at a time. There can be no denying that power infrastructure is definitely on the mend and capacity is being increased via numerous means and sources.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Isn't this where the Iranian gas comes in? By the time this plant is fully operational, so will the IP(C?) pipeline.

Isn't this where the Iranian gas comes in? By the time this plant is fully operational, so will the IP(C?) pipeline.

First plant will be operational by June, second in July and third in August. The IP gas will be supplied in late 2014 (or early 2015). There will be a gap of 30-36 months before IP becomes operational :confused:

First plant will be operational by June, second in July and third in August. The IP gas will be supplied in late 2014 (or early 2015). There will be a gap of 30-36 months before IP becomes operational :confused:

You are correct. I had misread the start of operations date for the Bin Qasim plant to be 2013. Well, the good news is it comes online sooner than I thought :-)

By the way, one of the big reasons why there is a significantly increased consumption of gas supply in the last couple of years has to do with the installation of gas powered private generators. A friend who owns a gas generator dealership tells me that their industry association compiled stats which show that over 1 million gas generators were installed in Pakistan in the past 4 years. I would imagine that as the state produces more electricity, the need for these private gas generators will diminish and the gas will be rerouted from smaller, less efficient distributed generators to these more efficient large plants.

Good stuff but we should be able to produce these turbines oursleves what is stopping us ? from making 100 of these turbines ? We have no sanctions against us , and mechanical designs of such turbines are no rocket science, its like 1900 technology

You realize gas turbines are basically jet engines right? Very complex tech...takes a long time to perfect the manufacturing, which is why we haven't made one ourselves yet.

Pakistan and Iran peace pipeline will be completed in 2 years time so we will have abundance of Gas supply

Also we have second major pipeline coming thru as well it will make our gas supply 10 times then what it is now

Also consumer will benefit from it and it will also be sold to CHINA :china:

You realize gas turbines are basically jet engines right? Very complex tech...takes a long time to perfect the manufacturing, which is why we haven't made one ourselves yet.

Not really our engineers are working in Europe , and America and else where building and designing the same turbines all over world , we just like to give them a contract tender

Just like we never invested time in motherboards and chip technology but malasia did and they have a healthy knowledge in that sector.

Terbines are nothing complicated , these have been around since 1900 , I mean if you watch charlie chaplins movies and back in the industrial era 1900 they had largest of all turbines

Its only matter of investment , we seem to never value the need to transfer knowledge , our mentality is " WHY BOTHER to learn it "

Just buy it when it becomes cheap after 10 years wait

Pakistan and Iran peace pipeline will be completed in 2 years time so we will have abundance of Gas supply
Naa, it will be completed by the end of 2014. The gas we require to run these plants is in 2011/12.
Also we have second major pipeline coming thru as well it will make our gas supply 10 times then what it is now
When, where, how will the gas be increased by upto 10 times and which pipeline are you talking about? TAPI? i don't have to tell you about its current status right?

Not really our engineers are working in Europe , and America and else where building and designing the same turbines all over world , we just like to give them a contract tender

Just like we never invested time in motherboards and chip technology but malasia did and they have a healthy knowledge in that sector.

Terbines are nothing complicated , these have been around since 1900 , I mean if you watch charlie chaplins movies and back in the industrial era 1900 they had largest of all turbines

Its only matter of investment , we seem to never value the need to transfer knowledge , our mentality is " WHY BOTHER to learn it "

Just buy it when it becomes cheap after 10 years wait

agreed upto certain extents :)
I am sure if our engineers were trusted, we could build similar turbines domestically

If we can make nuclear bombs, this is just a turbine

Gas Fired Reciprocating Engines

Gas Fired Reciprocating Engine
enduse_electric_turbine.jpg

National Energy Technology Laboratory, DOE
Gas fired reciprocating engines are also used for on-site electric generation. These types of engines are also commonly known as combustion engines. They convert the energy contained in fossil fuels into mechanical energy, which rotates a piston to generate electricity.

All it is burning fuel source (gas , petrol and that moves pistons)

In image the grey squre things are called pistons - its a car engine by the way
in middle of picture

pistons.jpg

I am positive if our engineers put their mind and thought to it and the could easily make an engine / turbine to burn the gas and move some pistons and generate electricty from it

Even the pyramid , pharoh's knew how to make electricty

I mean we have Steeles mills in Pakistan not one now but 2 of them

GAS-TURBINE HISTORY
The history of the gas turbine begins with a quest for jet propulsion.

The earliest example of jet propulsion can be traced as far back as 150 BC to an Egyptian named Hero. Hero invented a machine that rotated on top of a boiling pot due to the reaction effect of hot air or steam exiting several nozzles arranged radially around a wheel. He called this invention an aeolipile.

In 1232 the Chinese used rockets to frighten enemy soldiers and horses.

Around 1500 A.D. Leonardo da Vinci drew a sketch of a device that rotated due to the effect of hot gasses flowing up a chimney. The device was intended to be used to rotate meat being roasted. In 1629 another Italian named Giovanni Branca actually developed a device that used jets of steam to rotate a turbine that in turn was used to operate machinery. This was the first practical application of a steam turbine.

hero1.gif

When we can get a FREE DEAL with AID money who cares about innovation ?

Last edited:
well "Azad" also remember, we want efficent gas turbines. I believe we can build good gas turbines domestically but it does not mean we build any gas turbine and start producing electricity. Say one gas turbine will be generating electricity for like 0.5cents per kwh and second will be energy efficient and may be able to do the same job for only 0.3cents per kwh. Efficiency is also very important, Building turbine only is not enough

and i have a serious trust on our local engineers, i think they could do this job :)

Well , I think we have the engineers

The only difference is innovation .....

Japan a person named Honda created 1 engine, he sold it once , he noticed he made money , he sold it again , and again and again , and then he also sold it abroad ... so 1 person innovated a whole enterprise .....

In Pakistan we are not valuing innovation and engineering .... because we feel that "we are not capable of producing quality" - this is our mindset that we have. This is the same reason why every one takes pride in buying goods from Japan or else where.

Thing always never were like that we actually had a time when we valued our own industries and engineers , around 70s when we had a minor industrial revolution

And infact in 70's Koreans and other countries used to come to Pakistan to learn from our knowledge and now the situation is that Koreans sell cars, planes , ships to other countries ....

Engines , Turbines and power generators are not too hard you can effectively learn from designs and innovate and develop new better engines and turbines

The question remains : Who will finance such projects ?

Private Sector / Gov Sector

That is always the debate

While our gov officials , can have daily expenses of 30,00,000 / day
they don't care as long as they have cold water and driver and fancy hotel to live in :P

Gas Fired Reciprocating Engines

Gas Fired Reciprocating Engine
enduse_electric_turbine.jpg

National Energy Technology Laboratory, DOE
Gas fired reciprocating engines are also used for on-site electric generation. These types of engines are also commonly known as combustion engines. They convert the energy contained in fossil fuels into mechanical energy, which rotates a piston to generate electricity.

All it is burning fuel source (gas , petrol and that moves pistons)

In image the grey squre things are called pistons - its a car engine by the way
in middle of picture

pistons.jpg

I am positive if our engineers put their mind and thought to it and the could easily make an engine / turbine to burn the gas and move some pistons and generate electricty from it

Even the pyramid , pharoh's knew how to make electricty

I mean we have Steeles mills in Pakistan not one now but 2 of them

GAS-TURBINE HISTORY
The history of the gas turbine begins with a quest for jet propulsion.

The earliest example of jet propulsion can be traced as far back as 150 BC to an Egyptian named Hero. Hero invented a machine that rotated on top of a boiling pot due to the reaction effect of hot air or steam exiting several nozzles arranged radially around a wheel. He called this invention an aeolipile.

In 1232 the Chinese used rockets to frighten enemy soldiers and horses.

Around 1500 A.D. Leonardo da Vinci drew a sketch of a device that rotated due to the effect of hot gasses flowing up a chimney. The device was intended to be used to rotate meat being roasted. In 1629 another Italian named Giovanni Branca actually developed a device that used jets of steam to rotate a turbine that in turn was used to operate machinery. This was the first practical application of a steam turbine.

hero1.gif

When we can get a FREE DEAL with AID money who cares about innovation ?

Modern turbines and for that matter any machinery, are highly efficient and reliable. It is not the question of making a trubine, it is how efficient and reliable that turbine will be. If we make our own turbines, it will just result in loss because of overall inefficiency. Just take the example of cars. Japanese cars are preferred over even American cars, and American auto industry is on the verge of collapse. A better strategy is to focus on a few areas and become the best in the world. And import the rest. If you are not making anything that can compete in the export market, dont make it.

Back
Top Bottom