Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
False pledges to the people
By Webmaster -
December 4, 2016

Feed Back

Zaheer Bhatti

WHEN I go to borrow from a lender, I do it for two reasons; one to ward off my immediate financial predicament and the other to be able to make use of the borrowed sum in such a manner that I can pay-back the debt by working out a viable investment plan or establishing a productive business which eventually enables me not only to pay-back but also make myself financially independent and secure without having to borrow any longer. But if I choose to keep borrowing without generating resources to pay-back and make my own buck in the process, and keep spending out of the borrowed amount to meet my ends I would actually be paying back installments out of the borrowed amount whereby my debt burden would continue to increase with mark up and I would either be forced to sell some of my assets if any or hope to die, leaving the burden to be paid by my next generation.
As for the lender, he will lend for two reasons; one that he assesses your ability to pay-back and identifies areas where he can coerce you to comply. The lender makes you agree to a pay-back thru an installment plan with mark-up come what may to ensure periodical return of his money or else he would lend to you with pre-conditions and pre-meditated motive of making you submit to unsavoury demands amounting to mortgaging your assets and future of your generations.
This is a simplistic view of the principle of borrowing and lending for those like me and the common man who neither needs to know the Science of economics nor the oft presented figures of economic prosperity being unraveled upon the Pakistani citizen and being achieved by Pakistani rulers through the magic wand of international borrowings without concrete measures to raise national productivity to pay-back or delivering any relief to the people whatsoever. These very Rulers once upon a time with their ‘Qarz Utaro Mulk Sanwaro’ slogan pretending to break the begging bowl asked the Pakistanis to tighten their belts and contribute to a National Fund so that they did not have to depend on foreign borrowings. The same Rulers today marvel at succeeding in borrowing from international donors (money-lenders) and present their certification as ‘successful borrowers’, whereas actually they have drowned the Nation in a debt burden which many Pakistani generations would not be able to pay.
Successive Rulers have added to the debt burden of the Nation by both external and internal circular borrowings; civilian Governments taking the cake. In barely one quarter of the Current year Pakistan has borrowed 3420 Million US dollars; an all-time high as Pakistan’s foreign debt today stands at 72978 Million US dollars. Borrowing wizard Mr. Dar might as well outline a clear pay-back plan besides explaining how and where these borrowed amounts have been used, and why its benefits if any have not reached the common man who continues to languish without education, healthcare clean drinking water and shelter; areas supposed to receive top priority of those who govern them while entire country with broken sewers and roads and litters all over, looks like an open-air dust bin. What does one say of governance when a Chinese Firm has to be contracted ‘to remove city refuse.
One learnt from the last Chairman of the National Accountability Bureau that there was corruption and pilferage to the tune of 1200 crores of Rupees every day in Pakistan. While one needs to ask the ex-NAB Chief to substantiate his statement for the comprehension of the common man, someone at the helm of affairs also needs to give a solid road map to not only stop the alleged pilferage but to make good the looted sums from the national exchequer which is your and my money. All one has seen up till now are accusations and cross accusations while those engaged in this gory exercise continue to flourish. Abdicating State responsibility, the Government marvels at privatising energy, education, healthcare and shelter, as people are left to pay inflated bills; beg, borrow or steal. Rulers indeed have no shame in privatizing schools and hospitals which have the licence to charge phenomenal amounts, obviously depriving schooling to the majority of Pakistanis who cannot afford.
Instead of enforcing a uniform curriculum countrywide and ensuring free education up to at least matriculation for every Pakistani, all one hears is mutilation of Islamic History and exclusion of cardinal Islamic teachings from the curricula, and of a media devoid of any responsibility to serve as a beacon for future generations. The present Government which once held the banner of Pakistan’s Ideology aloft seems to have lost its way and appears content on holding out yet another set of rosy promises as it has just announced setting up 35 Hospitals across the country with barely 15 months of their tenure remaining; an announcement which ought to have been part of their manifesto and delivered to the people at least by the middle of their term. This is obviously a ploy for next elections as will be elimination of load-shedding by 2018 which was promised to be delivered by 2014. As for education and employment, several million Pakistani children still cannot go to school while as many have no jobs.
During the tenure of the last political Government an anchor of a TV Channel propounding his misplaced logic said that the politicians had been penalized for carrying out their election pledge of providing employment to the people. He cited former Prime Minister Yousaf Reza Geelani having been convicted for employing hundreds of his party men during his tenure in Government. This unfortunately has been the pattern with all political governments which continues till date without remorse or realization.
These politicians ought to realize that in order to carry out such a noble pledge, you have to first create job opportunities by generating developmental activities and expand Industrial base of the country by focusing on agro-based Industries and not by stuffing already overstaffed Government Departments with Party loyalists, and rendering those departments non-viable and dysfunctional. This is why all enterprises run by the Government are becoming sick one after the other; the examples of Pakistan Steel Mills, Pakistan International Airlines are just a few besides several other Industries. Augmenting communication infrastructure throughout the Country is indeed an important responsibility of successive Governments particularly with farm to market road network for an agrarian economy like Pakistan.
—The writer is a media professional, member of Pioneering team of PTV and a veteran ex Director Programmes.

http://pakobserver.net/false-pledges-to-the-people/

@Khafee @SherDil007 @Morse_Code @Moonlight

Reminds me a recent TV show when a Nooni representative asked by the anchor about this debt he replied with a mind blowing sentence that " O g ye qarzy bhi tou hr kisi ko nhi milty naa. Dar shab ki ye quality kisi ko nazar nhi aatik unko itna qarza dy rahi hy dunya "
And than i recite astaghfar on the intellectual level of goons.

Reminds me a recent TV show when a Nooni representative asked by the anchor about this debt he replied with a mind blowing sentence that " O g ye qarzy bhi tou hr kisi ko nhi milty naa. Dar shab ki ye quality kisi ko nazar nhi aatik unko itna qarza dy rahi hy dunya "

:lol: you meant to say Dar can sell Fridge also in North pole to Santa clause:enjoy:

Can you state some reasons why is taking loan not good for Pakistan, If that loan is invested in Pakistan in building factories and making routes for the goods of those factories to reach the market.
State some logical answers.

Can you state some reasons why is taking loan not good for Pakistan, If that loan is invested in Pakistan in building factories and making routes for the goods of those factories to reach the market.
State some logical answers.
U better read the article dude. It will clear ur doubts.

U better read the article dude. It will clear ur doubts.

It is a waste of time reading article which is biased, though i tried and read half. Answer my question if u CAN.
Tell me one country in the modern world which has not taken loans for building economy, other than oil rich countries. Please quote an example and then we can begin an argument.

Back
Top Bottom