What's new

false impressions about muslim majority,democracy and secularism

Agnostic_Indian

Reaction score
Country
India
http://hei.sdsu.edu/~akuru/docs/Kuru_IT_09.pdf
i hope this link will remove pdf members, especially many of my indian brothers false impression that where ever muslims are majority they will form a islamic state,i myelf was under this false impression and now i realise that evev thogh ratio and numbers are is less compared christion majority stats with secular constitution,there are many muslim majority states with secular constitution. below is my research on contries given in the orginal research as secular.

one more point to add is, there exists no secular country if you look for miscroscopic imperfections,which exists because of each countries unique history,culture,traditions and struggles, so rather you should consider a country to be secular if it fullfills the basic and
important requirements of secularism.

1.Albania
republic.
56.7% Islam , 10.03% Roman Catholic ,
6.75% Albanian Orthodox, 5.49%
Unaffiliated, 2.5% Atheist , 2.09%
Bektashi, 0.14% Protestant /

2.Azerbaijan
democratic republic
Around 95 percent of the population
are Muslims. 85% of the
Muslims are Shia Muslims and 15%
Sunni Muslims ,

3.Burkina Faso

Semi-presidential republic
60.5% of the population
practice Islam, and that the majority
of this group belong to the Sunni
branch,
23% Christians.

4.chad
presidential republic
Islam
53%
Christianity
34%
Animism
10%
Atheism
3%

5.Gambia
presidential public
90% Muslims majority follow sufi tradition.

6.guinea

presidential republic
85% is Muslim

7.Indonesia
Unitary presidential constitutional
republic
with 87.2% of
Indonesians being Muslim

While religious freedom is stipulated
in the Indonesian constitution,
the government officially recognizes
only six religions: Islam ,
Protestantism , Roman Catholicism ,
Hinduism , Buddhism, and
Confucianism .note Indonesia is a Anti atheist country so IMO cant be considered secular,but it still can be used to show that evev though muslim majority islam is not state religion.

8.Kazakhstan
Dominant-party unitary
presidential state
. Islam is the
religion of about 70.2% while
Christianity is practiced by 26.2% of
the population.

9.kosovo
republic
The great
majority of Kosovo Albanians
(perhaps 97%) have Muslim family
backgrounds, as do the Bosniak,
Gorani, and Turkish communities and
by some of the Roma/Ashkali/
Egyptian community. Kosovo
censuses do not ask questions on
religious affiliation; it is therefore not
clear how many maintain a Muslim
affiliation.

10.Kyrgyzstan

parliamentary republic
80% of the population is
Muslim

11.Lebanon
democratic republic
Christian population
34%, while the Muslims are 65%

12.Mali

Unitary semi-presidential republic
Islam
90%

13.Niger
93% Muslims

14.Senegal
94 percent Muslims

15.Sierra Leone
Presidential constitutional republic
Islam
71%
Christianity
27%

16.Syria(IMO cant be considered fully secular bcoz it betrays the principle in a major poit as stated below)
semi-presidential state[
The constitution
requires the president to be a Muslim
[69] but does not make Islam the
state religion.
Sunni account for 74% of the
population, while 13% are Shia
( Alawite , Twelvers, and Ismailis
combined), 10% Christian

17.Tajikistan
semi-presidential state
Tajikistan is 98% Muslim,
(approximately 95% Sunni and 3%
Shia).

18.Turkey

Unitary parliamentary republic
Islam
99.8%

19.Turkmenistan
Single-party presidential state(secular dictatorship with minor Islamic leniency)
Muslims constitute 89%de

20.Uzbekistan
presidential state(elections were allegedly not fair,not a tru democracy)
Muslims constitute
90% of the population
Uzbekistan is largely
secular except bad treatment to protestant Christians.
{source-wiki}

not all the muslim courtries are non secular nations except few that creates a image which non muslims are started to think that muslims are fundamentalists and not secular but actually majority of muslims are innocent. they may be fanatic to their belief but not a fundamentalists like they wont interfere into others belief except few nations and few seperatist groups all over the world. and our neighbour pakistani peoples also democracy lovers but they strongly believe their tradition and that's not our problem. few organizations in those muslim countries only trying to brainwash innocents.

I think you are confusing Secularism with the notion of Democracy or Republic.

Though it is true that not all Muslim Majority countries are Radicals, most of them, especially in the case of countries in South and South East Asia.

I think you are confusing Secularism with the notion of Democracy or Republic.

Though it is true that not all Muslim Majority countries are Radicals, most of them, especially in the case of countries in South and South East Asia.

download the pdf and read, the countries I have numbered and given is all secular countries as mentioned in the study , not only democracy, or republic(where even I have found some disagreements/major anomaly , I have given my opinion in bold, otherwise every country given is by default secular ). I mentioned type of government just to show that most of these countries are secular by the wish of people rather than compelled by dictatorship.

download the pdf and read, the countries I have numbered and given is all secular countries as mentioned in the study , not only democracy, or republic(where even I have found some disagreements/major anomaly , I have given my opinion in bold, otherwise every country given is by default secular ). I mentioned type of government just to show that most of these countries are secular by the wish of people rather than compelled by dictatorship.

Good to know that. Something for Muslims worldwide to be happy about. For Radical Islamic countries, it is something to learn.

Islam had never been a Radical religion in its initial days. Unlike Christian crusaders who killed everyone in a conquered city, Islamic conquerers would pardon the women and children. Changing their faith is a different matter :P .

Many of the Islamic kingdoms were tolerant. A good case of this is the city of Babylon during the Islamic rule. But recently it has become more and more intolerant of the other faiths and it is this that has given it the bad name.

Luckily, there still are other nations that are helping improve the image :)

HMM like hindu organizations generating their own history books to create a Greater India?

i accept few accept hindu organization doing this but not all. and me too a fanatic but i will respect others belief too.

Good to know that. Something for Muslims worldwide to be happy about. For Radical Islamic countries, it is something to learn.

Islam had never been a Radical religion in its initial days. Unlike Christian crusaders who killed everyone in a conquered city, Islamic conquerers would pardon the women and children. Changing their faith is a different matter :P .

Many of the Islamic kingdoms were tolerant. A good case of this is the city of Babylon during the Islamic rule. But recently it has become more and more intolerant of the other faiths and it is this that has given it the bad name.

Luckily, there still are other nations that are helping improve the image :)

Refreshing post by an Indian poster. :enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom