What's new

Exposing Racism Against Chinese by Western Expats

Actually, a fair number of Chinese-Americans have made the leap to Mexico during the past century; however, because these inmigrants were predominantly males, their descendants are invariably of mixed heritage who do not identify with Chinese culture. As a consequence, the Chinese inmigrants left NO cultural footprint worth mentioning.
Whereas certain parts of Los Angeles is starting to resemble modern China.

Actually, a fair number of Chinese-Americans have made the leap to Mexico during the past century; however, because these inmigrants were predominantly males, their descendants are invariably of mixed heritage who do not identify with Chinese culture. As a consequence, the Chinese inmigrants left NO cultural footprint worth mentioning.
Whereas certain parts of Los Angeles is starting to resemble modern China.

can't say I agree with you on that one. what areas did you have in mind?

can't say I agree with you on that one. what areas did you have in mind?
San Gabriel Valley. Taiwanese enclave.
mall001-2.jpg

I can't understand why some American bigots (both left & right) get so worked up with Chinese in their communities, when these tend to lower the crime stadistics & improve academic competitiveness; whereas at least the left is FAR more accepting of Hispanics.

why does china still have western-style buildings built during the concession times? in shanghai bund, tianjin, beijing, etc.

why havent they been demolished. does china just love to show off to everyone how they were colonized?

ive talked to brits that are so proud of those buildings that it gives them some sort of superiority over chinese people.

why does china still have western-style buildings built during the concession times? in shanghai bund, tianjin, beijing, etc.

why havent they been demolished. does china just love to show off to everyone how they were colonized?

ive talked to brits that are so proud of those buildings that it gives them some sort of superiority over chinese people.

True, even i have the Shanghainese heritage, but i hate the Shanghai of 1930s despite many people brag how Shanghai was prosperous during that period. It was a shameful history of the Western colonization with all those settlements by Britain and France.

Our government is too soft in its diplomacy, and we need the hawkish government, not the spineless doves.

San Gabriel Valley. Taiwanese enclave.
mall001-2.jpg

I can't understand why some American bigots (both left & right) get so worked up with Chinese in their communities, when these tend to lower the crime stadistics & improve academic competitiveness; whereas at least the left is FAR more accepting of Hispanics.

an enclave yes, but i dont see how that equates to modern china. there are all kinds of ethnic enclaves in SoCal, thats the beauty of california.

do u think xi jinping is a hawkish/nationalistic leader?

china desperately needs a leader that will be tough with foreigners.

honestly, i would demolish every western-style building in china that was build in the colonial period.
im not sure which cities have western style buildings, i know shanghai bund, tianjin, beijing. but not sure of the others.
its not something chinese people should be proud about, having these old relics as a reminder of the humiliation period for china.

He will be more hawkish than Hu Jintao for sure.

Naturally, with larger economy and growing military during his terms, it will embolden China to act tougher against the foreign aggression.

They have every right to be angry and take their frustration out on the internet because they cant do anything more than that..the other being getting fat on government benefits ..I see most of the American contractors in KSA now have to work under the Chinese as sub contractor..for one reason or the other..i feel happy for China and wish them all the best..have made a lot of "Chini" friend since Chinese contracting companies started to expand in KSA.

yea hopefully he is tough on foreigners. china just cannot get pushed around like in the past with very timid leaders. u give the foreigners an inch and they take it a mile.

one thing china really needs to develop along with economic and military power is cultural power and information power. cultural power like movies, music, arts, language. information power is media power like a global news agency(xinhua news agency), global news channels like cctv news, cnc global, cnc business, etc.

since the western world dominates information power, they can manipulate events the way they want. most chinese news heard by the world is reported through cnn, bbc, skynews, cnbc, bloomberg, wsj, reuters, associated press, AFP.

yea hopefully he is tough on foreigners. china just cannot get pushed around like in the past with very timid leaders. u give the foreigners an inch and they take it a mile.

one thing china really needs to develop along with economic and military power is cultural power and information power. cultural power like movies, music, arts, language. information power is media power like a global news agency(xinhua news agency), global news channels like cctv news, cnc global, cnc business, etc.

since the western world dominates information power, they can manipulate events the way they want. most chinese news heard by the world is reported through cnn, bbc, skynews, cnbc, bloomberg, wsj, reuters, associated press, AFP.
If you want people to pay attention to your media, you'll have to assert your dominance first so people would think you're worthy of setting the trends & agendas.

honestly, i would demolish every western-style building in china that was build in the colonial period.
im not sure which cities have western style buildings, i know shanghai bund, tianjin, beijing. but not sure of the others.
its not something chinese people should be proud about, having these old relics as a reminder of the humiliation period for china.

And you say all that sitting in New Zealand! So much hate.

In Wuhan, I can proudly say that to my knowledge there is not 1 colonial era building still standing today. It has been replaced by things that represent real China: skyscrapers, stores, universities, bridges and factories. Real Chinese culture like 黄鹤楼 are still there. I think every building from 1840-1949 that has outlived its usefulness should be demolished.

I also hate how Beijing names every single one of its buildings "Oriental". This is a sick fascination with British colonialism that no other country in the world has.

But I think the buildings on the Bund can stay. After all, what do you call foreign built buildings now flying the 5 star red flag? Victory.

i disagree. getting rid of those buildings does not equal to getting rid of the humiliation. what happened back then is reality. those old relics serve as a reminder of the reality back then. the important idea here is to remember the humiliation in the past so the same mistakes will not be repeated in the future.

I agree.

During the Qing when China got "tough" on foreigners; lumping them all together as a single entity, which made them all gang up on China and we all know how that turned out.

China must not make the same mistake again. Although, China today is in no way similar to the dying Qing China it is still not wise to group these "foreigners" together which will prove more difficult to deal with if they decided to put aside any difference they have and form an alliance against China which will prove more difficult to deal with.

I think it's still too early for that kind of radical change. I do hope it will happen in my lifetime but now I believe is not the time.

Back
Top Bottom