What's new

Emotionally Intelligent Social Robot Built By An IIT Alumni

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
There are many movies which have shown robots that can walk, talk and behave like a human being. Well, meet Charlie, a robot designed by Rajiv Khosla, an Indian Institute of Technology alumni and a professor from La Trobe University, Australia. Charlie can walk, talk, sing and can even detect how a person feels. The robot has been designed to assist people with problems like dementia, autism, brain injury and other illness.

Engineers and researchers have so far tried to make robots behave like animals or insects or have taken a lot of inspiration from them to design robots, like bats, lizards, cockroaches, etc. Robots have also been designed to be similar to humans, but Charlie here is considered to be one of the most advanced robots built. The 20cm tall robot can actually perceive a person's needs through their moods and facial expressions. The robot has been programmed to speak 11 languages so far including Hindi, Tamil and Chinese. Mr. Khosla says that these robots can be personalized based on language, culture and lifestyle and hopes that this can be a solution to achieve cross culture understanding.

emotional_robot-png.9475

Mr. Khosla in a video gave an example of using this technology with old age people. With robots like these, Mr. Khosla believes he can make senior citizens more independent. The robots will help the senor citizens to connect to the society by connecting them to their relatives which will be done via the Internet. It can send emails to their friends and family and also monitor their health.

The researches are looking for business partners who will be interested in exploring the application of these robots in India. The market price is estimated at Rs. 90,000.

@Skull and Bones, @jarves @Indischer @Dem!god @DRAY @scorpionx

Can walk, talk, sing and can even detect how a person feels and What Not!!.

Sigh!! I am getting old, will not be able to enjoy "What Not". May be my great Grand Children will enjoy and live in Peace!!

Human emotions can be the next big thing in robotics after Artificial Intelligence.

My favorite robot, Nao. Will buy it shortly, my partner in loneliness.

There are many movies which have shown robots that can walk, talk and behave like a human being. Well, meet Charlie, a robot designed by Rajiv Khosla, an Indian Institute of Technology alumni and a professor from La Trobe University, Australia. Charlie can walk, talk, sing and can even detect how a person feels. The robot has been designed to assist people with problems like dementia, autism, brain injury and other illness.

Engineers and researchers have so far tried to make robots behave like animals or insects or have taken a lot of inspiration from them to design robots, like bats, lizards, cockroaches, etc. Robots have also been designed to be similar to humans, but Charlie here is considered to be one of the most advanced robots built. The 20cm tall robot can actually perceive a person's needs through their moods and facial expressions. The robot has been programmed to speak 11 languages so far including Hindi, Tamil and Chinese. Mr. Khosla says that these robots can be personalized based on language, culture and lifestyle and hopes that this can be a solution to achieve cross culture understanding.

emotional_robot-png.9475

Mr. Khosla in a video gave an example of using this technology with old age people. With robots like these, Mr. Khosla believes he can make senior citizens more independent. The robots will help the senor citizens to connect to the society by connecting them to their relatives which will be done via the Internet. It can send emails to their friends and family and also monitor their health.

The researches are looking for business partners who will be interested in exploring the application of these robots in India. The market price is estimated at Rs. 90,000.

@Skull and Bones, @jarves @Indischer @Dem!god @DRAY @scorpionx

Can walk, talk, sing and can even detect how a person feels and What Not!!.

Sigh!! I am getting old, will not be able to enjoy "What Not". May be my great Grand Children will enjoy and live in Peace!!
read this news ....
this robot was developed in japan to look and entertain their elderly population.....
and it do many work as stated here.....

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...=TrnPEhySBF-uKDytSj7zug&bvm=bv.62577051,d.aGc

and here is the video.....

IMHO, intelligence is nothing but the ability to receive, analyse and store data,,,,the more the collection of data the more intelligent we are i.e intelligence is a huge collection of past experiences and the ability to add to that experience.....

If we can make a robot do just that i.e receive data through sensors, analyse and compare it with previously stored data(through programming) and store it in memory for future reference.....won't it become intelligent......
We can pre-record(into its memory) some basic data needed for its survival, like the data of fire, when it will 'see'/'feel' fire/heat through it's sensors and compare and analyse it with its stored data, it will perceive it at danger and keep a safe distance.....

The idea of pre-loading all the data required to become intelligent is not practical because people keep learning throughout their lives i.e it is unlimited, instead we should make the robot learn....

What say you guys, my robot will be a good learner but will it become intelligent.....to a certain extent??

Last edited:
IMHO, intelligence is nothing but the ability to receive, analyse and store data,,,,the more the collection of data the more intelligent we are i.e intelligence is a huge collection of past experiences and the ability to add to that experience.....

If we can make a robot do just that i.e receive data through sensors, analyse and compare it with previously stored data(through programming) and store it in memory for future reference.....won't it become intelligent......
We can pre-record(into its memory) some basic data needed for its survival, like the data of fire, when it will 'see'/'feel' fire/heat through it's sensors and compare and analyse it with its stored data, it will perceive it at danger and keep a safe distance.....

The idea of pre-loading all the data required to become intelligent is not practical because people keep learning throughout their lives i.e it is unlimited, instead we should make the robot learn....

What say you guys, my robot will be a good learner but will it become intelligent.....to a certain extent??
You missed an important part-Response,it should respond too.

You missed an important part-Response,it should respond too.
Thanks for pointing it out, Yeah, I missed it in the definition but later in my post I did say something about response when I gave the example of fire......I said the robot would keep a safe distance after analyzing it(which is the response).....
IMHO receiving, storing data and response won't be the hardest part of making an intelligent robot but the analysis part would be.........'cause based on its outcome it will respond and we can make it respond the way we want......

Let's hear some unique, simple and intelligent ideas about how to develop Artificial Intelligence...

Last edited:
But it has fucking emotions.

I hope Morals are included in it's programming !!!

Yap! And emotions are complex things, and feelings of jealousy, anger, revenge, hatred, freedom, be my own boss, power, etc. are also different types of emotions. :(

Back
Top Bottom