What's new

Earth's gravity dips from Antartic ice loss

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Earth's Gravity dips from Antartic ice loss

European satellite data shows that gravity has dipped in Antarctica because of melting ice. The brownish areas in the graphic are places where the variation has been greatest.
ESA

image.jpg

c83bf0e51e333b90e575c08de1475fe0.jpg

31c6ff2060b6b127a450066ecc89c35f.jpg

321566e2ffd98a19253134d8ebc78b04.jpg

966ec6e4a615baeb708ec501948982a9.jpg

716707fd7b5c9c1bb138a40953d6325d.jpg

33a480534f955f65a8625eb0168f0126.jpg

e3ee990c24b54dcb3a9d18c7b1fddb41.jpg

Of all the effects on the Earth from human-driven climate change, this one might be the weirdest.

The rapid loss of ice from the West Antarctica’s ice sheet between 2009 and 2012 was big enough to cause a slight dip in the Earth’s gravitational field over the region, according to the European Space Agency. Scientists based the finding upon measurements made by the agency’s GOCE satellite, which from 2009 to 2013 used new technology to map the Earth’s gravitational field in unprecedented detail.

NEWS: Massive Antarctic Iceberg Sets Sail

While we might think of gravity as being the same all over the Earth, it’s actually not quite uniform, because of variations in the Earth’s surface such as mountains, valleys, ocean trenches and, in the case of the polar regions, the ice sheets, according to NASA Earth Observatory. But since a mountain or a valley generally is in the same place from year to year, shifts in gravity in a particular spot usually only take place gradually over very long periods of geologic time.

But in the case of the west Antarctic ice sheet, change is occurring rapidly. Data from another ESA satellite, CryoSat, shows that since 2009, the West Antarctic ice sheet’s rate of shrinkage has increased each year by a factor of three.

While the change in Antarctic gravity is so slight that it wouldn’t be noticeable from the ground, it’s a warning signal.

NEWS: Antarctic Sea Ice Growth Could Reverse

The breakup of the West Antarctic ice sheet could have much more serious effects, according to NASA. It the ice disappeared completely, it would raise sea levels by as much as 16 feet. The most vulnerable portion of the sheet is the Amundsen Sea region, where the glaciers don’t have big enough ice shelves to stem ice flow, and mostly aren’t pinned down by obstructions such as islands.

Additionally, a warm current rising up from the sea bottom accentuates the instability of the ice. The breakup of the Amunden Sea ice alone could cause the planet’s oceans to rise by 4 feet.

Last edited:
:o: It's too late now...We have crossed the line...Now it's too late ...

:o: It's too late now...We have crossed the line...Now it's too late ...
Its never too late!!

But Earth has a very complex heating mechanism, on one hand the green house gases have raised the temperature and on the other hand dust in the atmosphere is said to have reduced the temperature.
I am not sure if the earths Gravity has reduced drastically in last 100 years because of just ice, I've heard the expected polar shift that is supposed to happen soon in the near future could also be the cause why earth is loosing its gravity.

The climate change conference next year in Norway(if I am not wrong) will be attended by one and all. And chances of taking some serious steps to reduce environment pollution are high.

Earth's Gravity dips from Antartic ice loss

European satellite data shows that gravity has dipped in Antarctica because of melting ice. The brownish areas in the graphic are places where the variation has been greatest.
ESA

View attachment 104572

View attachment 104577

View attachment 104578

View attachment 104579

View attachment 104580
View attachment 104581

View attachment 104582

View attachment 104583

Of all the effects on the Earth from human-driven climate change, this one might be the weirdest.

The rapid loss of ice from the West Antarctica’s ice sheet between 2009 and 2012 was big enough to cause a slight dip in the Earth’s gravitational field over the region, according to the European Space Agency. Scientists based the finding upon measurements made by the agency’s GOCE satellite, which from 2009 to 2013 used new technology to map the Earth’s gravitational field in unprecedented detail.

NEWS: Massive Antarctic Iceberg Sets Sail

While we might think of gravity as being the same all over the Earth, it’s actually not quite uniform, because of variations in the Earth’s surface such as mountains, valleys, ocean trenches and, in the case of the polar regions, the ice sheets, according to NASA Earth Observatory. But since a mountain or a valley generally is in the same place from year to year, shifts in gravity in a particular spot usually only take place gradually over very long periods of geologic time.

But in the case of the west Antarctic ice sheet, change is occurring rapidly. Data from another ESA satellite, CryoSat, shows that since 2009, the West Antarctic ice sheet’s rate of shrinkage has increased each year by a factor of three.

While the change in Antarctic gravity is so slight that it wouldn’t be noticeable from the ground, it’s a warning signal.

NEWS: Antarctic Sea Ice Growth Could Reverse

The breakup of the West Antarctic ice sheet could have much more serious effects, according to NASA. It the ice disappeared completely, it would raise sea levels by as much as 16 feet. The most vulnerable portion of the sheet is the Amundsen Sea region, where the glaciers don’t have big enough ice shelves to stem ice flow, and mostly aren’t pinned down by obstructions such as islands.

Additionally, a warm current rising up from the sea bottom accentuates the instability of the ice. The breakup of the Amunden Sea ice alone could cause the planet’s oceans to rise by 4 feet.

so it means gravity increased more in poles?? but if true..it certainly affect electromagnetic field of earth..thus making earth more vulnerable.

Its never too late!!

But Earth has a very complex heating mechanism, on one hand the green house gases have raised the temperature and on the other hand dust in the atmosphere is said to have reduced the temperature.
I am not sure if the earths Gravity has reduced drastically in last 100 years because of just ice, I've heard the expected polar shift that is supposed to happen soon in the near future could also be the cause why earth is loosing its gravity.

The climate change conference next year in Norway(if I am not wrong) will be attended by one and all. And chances of taking some serious steps to reduce environment pollution are high.

I don't know about science sir, but i have a question, how dust in the atmosphere reduces the temperature? is it like the dust particles block the sunlight from reaching the surface of the earth(i have read EVS in school so i know about green house gases but after that just arts so just asking)..:-)

I don't know about science sir, but i have a question, how dust in the atmosphere reduces the temperature? is it like the dust particles block the sunlight from reaching the surface of the earth(i have read EVS in school so i know about green house gases but after that just arts so just asking)..:-)
by stopping the sunlight i guess....but green house emission will increase the earth temp by affecting ozone layer.

Its never too late!!

nice read..

Will the magnetic field of the Earth reverse its direction in the future? Will this cause problems?
I read somewhere recently that the magnetic poles of the earth were going to switch at some point in the future..is this correct, and if so what effects will this have..will gravity be affected?

The magnetic field of the Earth has actually switched its direction many many times during Earth's history. Although this is not completely understood, the leading theory of how it works is that Earth's magnetic field is caused by the motion of the liquid outer core. The churning of the liquid in the outer core acts as a giant electromagnet, moving electrical charges around, in what is known as the "geomagnetic dynamo." The rotation of the solid inner core also contributes to the magnetic field. When a certain combination of inner and outer core motion occurs, the Earth's magnetic field will quickly reverse. For example, lava that solidified 30,000 years ago shows that the magnetic field was in the opposite direction at that time. Evidence from the geologic record shows that this reversal could take less than 1000 or even less than 100 years. The way these reversals throughout geologic history were discovered was by looking at the seafloor. New ocean floor is created along the mid-ocean ridges. When lava along these ridges cools, its minerals harden in line with the Earth's magnetic field. This causes the seafloor to have magnetic "stripes," which can be measured and mapped. This is very useful for oceanographers and geologists. For a good explanation of this, check out this site.

Gravity is not affected at all by Earth's magnetic field, because gravity is the attractive force of the mass of two objects, which is unrelated to magnetism.

One effect that may occur during a magnetic reversal is that the Earth may not be protected from charged particles streaming from the sun. These particles are called the solar wind, and could be dangerous to life if they reached the Earth's surface. However, the interaction between the magnetic field and these particles deflects them around the Earth. The area around a planet (including Earth) within which the motion of charged particles is affected by the magnetic field is called the magnetosphere. Sometimes the magnetosphere becomes overloaded with particles. When this happens, some particles escape through the magnetosphere and interact with atoms in the upper atmosphere, making them emit light. This is what creates the northern lights (aurora borealis) and the southern lights (aurora australis). If the Earth's magnetic field is weakened during a reversal, more of these particles will get through to the upper atmosphere. This could be a problem, but most likely the atmosphere is thick enough to protect the Earth's surface.

Although the recent movie The Core tells the story of the Earth's magnetic field dissipating, causing the entire atmosphere to disintegrate, you don't need to worry about that happening! The magnetic field will exist as long as the outer core is liquid - and that will be for a long long time!

Curious About Astronomy: Will the magnetic field of the Earth reverse its direction in the future? Will this cause problems?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom