Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Dynastic politics
Dr Farrukh Saleem
Sunday, October 19, 2014

10-19-2014_279237_l_akb.jpg

Capital suggestion

Democracy is about three things: elections, accountability and a responsive government. We have had ten elections over the past 44 years but our democracy lacks accountability and has failed to produce a responsive government. In essence, all we have had is one-third of democracy; the other two-third has been missing. To be certain, the cure to our severe democratic shortfall is more democracy, not less.

One-person-one-vote is meant to do three things: One, make the government responsive to the needs of the voters. Two, equality in government decision-making. Three, equality before the law. Equality in government decision-making, in turn, results in two budgetary outcomes: high budgetary allocations for health and for education.

High budgetary allocations for health and for education, in turn, result in two things: One, higher levels of human development. Two, higher levels of economic growth.

One-person-one-vote also means equality before the law. And equality before the law results in mitigation of corruption. Why isn’t the one-person-one-vote formula bearing fruit in Pakistan? Answer: Dynastic politics could be a major impediment.

Dynastic politics is a system of governance whereby “several members of a family are involved in politics, particularly electoral politics. Members may be related by blood or marriage; often several generations or multiple siblings may be involved.”

There are dynasties in democracies – Bangladesh, Indonesia, Philippines, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Democracies and dynasties co-exist: Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s family (Bangladesh), Soekarnos (Indonesia), Aquino family (Philippines), Nehru-Gandhi family (India), Bandaranaike’s family (Sri Lanka) and Sharif-Bhutto families (Pakistan).

Empirical models have determined the share of dynastic politics in various countries: US 6 percent; Argentina 10 percent; India 28 percent; Mexico 40 percent and the Philippines 70 percent. According to the Institute of Development and Economic Alternatives, “On average, approximately two-thirds of the elected [Pakistani] legislators …belonging to approximately 400 families” represent the spectrum of dynastic politicians (the share of dynastic politics stands at around 67 percet in Pakistan).

Dynastic politics has meant two things the world over. One, reduced electoral competition among candidates whereby party tickets are awarded on the basis of dynasties, not merit. Two, high barriers of entry into electoral politics whereby one needs millions of rupees plus dynastic connections in order to enter into politics.

Dynastic politics, the world over, has six notable outcomes. One, if the share of dynastic politics is high so is the level of poverty. Two, if the share of dynastic politics is high there is massive under-investment in education. Three, if the share of dynastic politics is high there is massive under-investment in health.

Four, if the share of dynastic politics is high the probability that the state will fail to provide basic services – water, electricity and justice – is also high. Five, if the share of dynastic politics is high political parties will lack internal democracy. Six, if the share of dynastic politics is high so will be the financial net-worth of dynastic politicians.

The bicameral Congress of the Philippines is now debating House Bill 3587 or the Act Prohibiting the Establishment of Political Dynasties. House Bill 3587 “proposes to limit clans from building political dynasties by prohibiting relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity to hold or run for both national and local posts in successive, simultaneous, and overlapping terms.”

In the Philippines, the anti-dynasty debate has been stuck at the committee level for the past 27 long years. The bill now faces formidable challenges in a House still dominated by dynastic politicians.

The writer is a columnist based in Islamabad. Email: farrukh15@hotmail.com. Twitter: @saleemfarrukh

Good article with some errors:
In essence, all we have had is one-third of democracy
No we never had any free and fair undisputed election since 1970 that led to civil war and end of East Pakistan because Bhutto, the loser, refused its outcome.

the cure to our severe democratic shortfall is more democracy
More elections? No thanks!

When Aitzaz Ahsan says, apny mafi mangi, lakin chairman sahib(Bilawal) maafi tou hamain mangni chahye ap say (for losing election and weakened party in punjab)

then I say there is something terribly wrong, if educated people like him are slaves of Bilawal. then lanat asay educated honay par.. !

The cure to our severe democratic shortfall is more democracy...

True enough but more democracy with electoral reforms where everybody can contest and not just the filthy rich well-connected ruling elite.

When Aitzaz Ahsan says, apny mafi mangi, lakin chairman sahib(Bilawal) maafi tou hamain mangni chahye ap say (for losing election and weakened party in punjab)

then I say there is something terribly wrong, if educated people like him are slaves of Bilawal. then lanat asay educated honay par.. !
Nothing is wrong it is just slave mentality and more than that pure selfishness. Lust of power, prestige, and wealth can make even learned people bagger.

He is a politician and supporter of PPP from long time, politicians tend to go where money flows. Zardari bought his loyalty by giving him Senate seat.

If educated journalist can be bought and are ready to sell the country like Iftakhar Ahmed, Hamid Mir, Saleem Safi of Geo and other channels that were once the front faces of people's rights on Tv, then the power hungry politicians are little to blame.

The cure to our severe democratic shortfall is more democracy...

True enough but more democracy with electoral reforms where everybody can contest and not just the filthy rich well-connected ruling elite.

Not without accountability... if these crooks get to elections again, then there is no point.

Nothing is wrong it is just slave mentality and more than that pure selfishness. Lust of power, prestige, and wealth can make even learned people bagger.

I would rather die then to give up my self-respect for this prestige, status, power or wealth.

He is a politician and supporter of PPP from long time, politicians tend to go where money flows. Zardari bought his loyalty by giving him Senate seat.

If educated journalist can be bought and are ready to sell the country like Iftakhar Ahmed, Hamid Mir, Saleem Safi of Geo and other channels that were once the front faces of people's rights on Tv, then the power hungry politicians are little to blame.

Cannot really know why these people dont think of Pakistan first. :(

Not only Aitezaz, I was listening to Senator Taj Haider this morning. He is a friend of my Mamoon (and father-in-law) and his father Professor Karrar Hussain has taught my father in 50s. Professor Karrar's family is a truly remarkable family, highly educated, and very well respected in the society. Yet, I was extremely disappointed to hear how Taj Haider saheb was supporting Bilawal and PPP. I mean I just cant believe that a person of Taj Haider saheb's age and persona would be sitting respectfully in front of Bilawal and nodding head in agreement. Come on, what the hell is this?

Not only Aitezaz, I was listening to Senator Taj Haider this morning. He is a friend of my Mamoon (and father-in-law) and his father Professor Karrar Hussain has taught my father in 50s. Professor Karrar's family is a truly remarkable family, highly educated, and very well respected in the society. Yet, I was extremely disappointed to hear how Taj Haider saheb was supporting Bilawal and PPP. I mean I just cant believe that a person of Taj Haider saheb's age and persona would be sitting respectfully in front of Bilawal and nodding head in agreement. Come on, what the hell is this?
What these corrupt politicians, zardaris, sharifs, bhuttos, shahs have is influence upon the mafias, criminal gangs, corrupt business elite, jagirdars-waderas-sardars and the corrupt legal entities of the country. To get their dirty illegal jobs done people like these know where to align themselves with, keeping the countrys interest aside, they look for their own personal benefits.

fatman17 said:
The bicameral Congress of the Philippines is now debating House Bill 3587 or the Act Prohibiting the Establishment of Political Dynasties. House Bill 3587 “proposes to limit clans from building political dynasties by prohibiting relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity to hold or run for both national and local posts in successive, simultaneous, and overlapping terms.”
May such bills be introduced in our parliament too.

what does it translate to? I can read very lil urdu/arabic.I could spot few words like Gharib ka....maqbara...etc.

tomb of poor people's (dead)leader
house of living poor people

Garib kay leader ka maqbara...
Zinda garib ka gher.

the tomb is of Bhutto

Back
Top Bottom