What's new

drdo pushing for awacs progran to be completed by june

parkland

BANNED
Reaction score
Bangalore: India’s dream of owning a prying plane with indigenous mission systems entered the next lap on April 4, with the successful first flight of the second aircraft at the San Jose dos Campos in Brazil. The Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) being built on a modified Embraer EMB 145I aircraft flew for 45 minutes signaling that project is now right on track, after the initial 10-month delay.
Defence Research and Development Organisation’s (DRDO) Bangalore-based Centre for Air Borne Systems (CABS) is being entrusted with the job of integrating the missions systems soon after the first EMB-145 touches down in June. “The first aircraft will arrive in Bangalore this June and we would begin the integration work immediately. Today’s aircraft which flew would be the first to arrive in India and hence the flight was very significant,” DRDO Chief Controller (Avionics) G Elangovan tells Express from San Jose dos Campos.
During Wednesday’s maiden flight, the aircraft was fitted with dummy units including an Active Antenna Array Unit (AAAU), mission systems and components. “During the first EMB-145I aircraft’s maiden flight on December 6, 2011 there were lots of instrumentation systems onboard. In today’s flight, the new aircraft flew in the full final configuration. The chase aircraft was co-piloted by an Indian Air Force pilot,” Elangovan said.
DRDO hopes to have the fully-loaded plane to begin its test-flying in October this year. “We are in talks to advance this flight test schedules in India. The second aircraft needs to undergo another 20-30 flights before it arrives in Bangalore. The detail data analysis of its first flight is currently underway. The initial reports are encouraging and the performance of the aircraft matching all mission modes,” said CABS Director S Chrishtopher.
As reported in these columns earlier, the IAF will receive three EMB-145Is in the next three years and once operational, India will join an exclusive club of nations owning home-grown eye-in-the-sky systems.

Copyright@The New Indian Express

congrats guys we will be in a big league by this year. another feat accomplished by great drdo.
is it just me or everyone is noticing that drdo is finishing all programs on time now

Its a truely a happy news. But,i am sorry to say this,i'll believe it when i see it.

Its a truely a happy news. But,i am sorry to say this,i'll believe it when i see it.
Ya DRDO talks alot. It would have been great news if they did it first and then talk. Sad. Infact it would be the best thing for DRDO to keep mum and show the result. No need to give dead lines if they are going to die

Almost every English daily print it. That's the advantage of democracy feel free to talk print what you think. Or plan whatever story you want and say sorry or not next day May be next time soup instead of coup :P

1/ Cheaper
2/ Little less powerful in matters of radar range.
3/ Because of above reasons...can be deployed in numbers.

+ inferior platform, because the A50 has more space for more crew and equipment.

The DRDO AWACS will be an addition, but the A50 Phalcons will be the high and in all regards.

Especially, since they don't really do anything at the current stage of testing, the integration and testing of external changesof the aircraft is Embraers part. Since this platform is not new and operational as AWACS, not to mention that Embraer is very experienced with this class of aircrafts, we shouldn't expect much problems here. The key integration parts of DRDO are just about to come, when the first aircraft will be delivered to India. Then we will see how capapable it really will be and if DRDO can hold their timelines, they better should, because we already are lagging behind in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom