What's new

Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam to fly in IAF's Su-30

Nasir

Reaction score
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam to fly in IAF's Su-30

Press Information Bureau
Sat, 27 May 2006, 00:10

The Number 20 Squadron of Indian Air Force, based at Pune would be celebrating 50 years of its existence from 27 Jun onwards. The Squadron which is also known as the ‘LIGHTNINGS’ operate the oldest and the newest fighters ie, MiG 21 and SU 30 MKI.

The 20 Squadron of IAF was formed on 01 Jun 1956 at Halwara with Vampire aircraft. This, one of the oldest, squadron has taken part in all the operations in which IAF was deployed. 20 Squadron is also the most decorated Squadron in IAF with two Mahavir Chakra, five Vir Chakra, three Mention-in-dispatches and one Vayu Sena Medal.

The ‘LIGHTNINGS’ have also been awarded the Presidential Colours, the highest award an IAF formation can get. The ‘War trophies’ of the Squadron included two air-to-air kills Sabre Jets, thirteen aircraft on ground including two C-130 Hercules, ten battle tanks, and scores of railway wagon, locomotive, field artillery and trucks.

During the Golden Jubilee celebrations Admiral Arun Prakash, the Chief of Naval Staff would be the Chief Guest. Admiral Arun Prakash was posted in this squadron as a Lieutenant during the 1971 operations and was awarded the Vir Chakra for his heroic contributions.

Hon’ble President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam would be flying with 20 Squadron, AF in its SU 30 MKI aircraft on the morning of 08 Jun 06. Dr. Kalam would be flying to familiarize himself with the systems and capability of the SU 30 aircraft. This will be the first time that the Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Forces would fly a fighter aircraft. The No. 20 Squadron has earlier operated the first IAF formation Aerobatic Team ‘The Thunderbolts’ which was eventually phased out. This squadron was equipped with the latest SU 30 MKIs in May 2002.

The ‘LIGHTNINGS’ squadron today stands ready to answer any call in the defence of the nation.

India to trade-in older Sukhois for latest MK1s
Press Trust of India
Sat, 27 May 2006, 00:07

India will sign a defence deal with Russia within a fortnight under which 18 Sukhoi-30K fighter jets it had purchased earlier from Moscow will be exchanged for the latest Su-30 MKI multi-role war planes.

A spokesperson of Irkut Corporation, the manufacturer of Sukhoi jets, said the trade-in contract would be signed within a fortnight. However, she declined to reveal the value of the deal.

As per the deal 18 Su-30K jets with limited capabilities, supplied in late 1990s to the Indian Air Force (IAF) would be bought back by Russia and the similar number of latest fighters would be shipped into India.
Russian defence expert Konstantin Makiyenko said Irkut will supply 18 Su-30MKI jets specially tailored for the IAF, while older jets received from it will be upgraded for deployment in Belarus along the border with NATO, In 2004 Russia had completed the supply of 40 Su-30 fighters and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has already launched the assembling of its latest version under licence for the production of 140 jets.

The Sukhoi license deal provides the full transfer of technology to HAL, including indigenous production of thrust-vectoring engines, a privilege denied to China under a similar deal.

That old bugger still wanna taste some glimpses of youth:lol: . Lucky dude, i wont mind flying Super Flanker by myself either. Its just a matter of getting a chance. I read some where that he's gonna get married again, Crazy B:stupid: .

If that pilot gives him a cardiac, he will never hear the end of it!!!!! No belly rolls please! I heard the Air Marshall took up skydiving.Why jump out of a perfectly good planE?

melb4aust said:
That old bugger still wanna taste some glimpses of youth:lol: . Lucky dude, i wont mind flying Super Flanker by myself either. Its just a matter of getting a chance. I read some where that he's gonna get married again, Crazy B:stupid: .
he wont fly it.. he will just sit there.

No thrust vectoring please... I'll toss my morning idlies!!

ajaybhutani said:
he wont fly it.. he will just sit there.

Same thing man. i was meant to say, he's too old for these kind of things, unless he has developed some thing or kind of formula to keep himself energetic:woot: .

# On Tuesday, 14 February, 2006, he created history by becoming the country's first President to undertake an undersea journey. Abdul Kalam boarded the INS Sindhurakshak, a Russian-origin kilo class submarine, from the Visakhapatnam Naval dockyard. The duration of the journey was around three-and-half hours during which Kalam had lunch with the crewmembers.
# Initially he wanted to become a pilot, but opted for aeronautical engineering later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Kalam

I read some where that he's gonna get married again, Crazy B..

Firstly he never married before and is a confirmed bachelor.btw where did u hear the news..?:P

Firstly he never married before and is a confirmed bachelor.btw where did u hear the news..?:P[/quote]

I know he's never married, but i cant remember where i read that he's getting married, but its one of these indian websites; either santabanta.com or smashits.com. But im pretty curiouse about his marriage, tell me he's not gay?:eek:

melb4aust said:
Firstly he never married before and is a confirmed bachelor.btw where did u hear the news..?:P

I know he's never married, but i cant remember where i read that he's getting married, but its one of these indian websites; either santabanta.com or smashits.com. But im pretty curiouse about his marriage, tell me he's not gay?:eek:[/quote]

I can only say one thing to you buddy!!!, Please grow up.

Jag said:
I know he's never married, but i cant remember where i read that he's getting married, but its one of these indian websites; either santabanta.com or smashits.com. But im pretty curiouse about his marriage, tell me he's not gay?:eek:

I can only say one thing to you buddy!!!, Please grow up.[/quote]

Now why did u say that, cause of the respect or u cant bear this. I was extracting some humour outta this:read: , apparently one of you guyz have started this post.

melb4aust said:
I read some where that he's gonna get married again, Crazy B:stupid: .

Married again...when was he married before???
and where did u read it??

Bull said:
f u c k o f f....

U watch ur language man:mad: . (webby should take notice of that and should take appropriate action). Im very very reasonable to you guys, that does'nt mean u guys try to take advantage of that:bat: . Delete my post after reading @@WEBMASTER.

Webz: Noticed.

melb4aust said:
U watch ur language man:mad: . (webby should take notice of that and should take appropriate action). Im very very reasonable to you guys, that does'nt mean u guys try to take advantage of that:bat: . Delete my post after reading @@WEBMASTER.

No need to delete or modify your post, humor is part of our life and allowed here at PFF.
Abdul Kalam is not a religious icon but just another president of a country. If we can make jokes about Bush, Blair, Mushy then why not Kalam?

Now get back to the topic!

Btw, is he healthy enough to fly mach 2? Its quite a rush for and ole guy, isn't it? :p

melb4aust said:

Are you married?

Back
Top Bottom