What's new

Does China have locally-made ASCM as fast as Brahmos?

Dragon Emperor

Reaction score
As we all know, China has the Sunburn and Yakhont Anti-Ship Cruise Missile onboard PLAN destroyers and subs. However, those missiles are imported from Russia and not locally produced. Does China have any locally-made ASCMs with a speed of Mach 2.5 like the Sunburn or 2.8 like Brahmos? I know China has locally-made anti-ship missiles, but they're not reaching Mach 2.8 or above, right?

Why high speed is good, because it gives the defender less time to react, especially more so if the missile not only has speed but a stealth front profile. I also hope that China develops an ASCM with a speed of Mach 5 and range of 400km to compete with Brahmos-2, which will have a speed over Mach 5!!:eek: Info below:

BrahMos-2 hypersonic missile to be 'uninerceptable'?, page 1
BrahMos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
domain-b.com : Development of hypersonic, BrahMos-2 version to begin this year

India is the only country in the world to have deployed a supersonic cruise missile.

Yes, a cruise missile with a speed of Mach 5.0 is very surprising.

The current variant with a speed of Mach 2.0 is the best in its class today.

India is the only country in the world to have deployed a supersonic cruise missile.

China's supersonic cruise missiles: C-101, C-301, C-803, C-805, KD-88, and YJ-91 which travels at 4.5 mach

perhaps you mean hypersonic cruise missile

I still do not understand why Russia developed the missile and is not using it herself.

I still do not understand why Russia developed the missile and is not using it herself.

Its progressive development.The Russians had also developed the T-34 tank,the tank that ultimately won Kursk for the Russians.But,they dont use it anymore.Now they use something better.

they are supposed to use it on new Gorshkov class of frigates and project 21956 Destroyers..
currently brahmos cant be used because of size and hull specifications of the Brahmos..

China has the DF-21d. They also added a couple more barrels to the CIWS. Problem solved.

You never hear that the American navy is worried because the Russians have Brahmos, do you??

China has the DF-21d. They also added a couple more barrels to the CIWS. Problem solved.

You never hear that the American navy is worried because the Russians have Brahmos, do you??

ohh yes.. the Dong Feng 21D.It is the World's first anti-ship ballistic missile aimed at denying the enemy the supremacy over the waters.Nick-named as the Carrier-killer,the DF-21D,can attack a moving aircraft carrier from a range as long as 3000km.
It is further assisted by satellites that provide it with targeting information from Synthetic Aperture Radar and visual imaging respectively.

a very mean weapon I must say.

As we all know, China has the Sunburn and Yakhont Anti-Ship Cruise Missile onboard PLAN destroyers and subs. However, those missiles are imported from Russia and not locally produced. Does China have any locally-made ASCMs with a speed of Mach 2.5 like the Sunburn or 2.8 like Brahmos? I know China has locally-made anti-ship missiles, but they're not reaching Mach 2.8 or above, right?

Why high speed is good, because it gives the defender less time to react, especially more so if the missile not only has speed but a stealth front profile. I also hope that China develops an ASCM with a speed of Mach 5 and range of 400km to compete with Brahmos-2, which will have a speed over Mach 5!!:eek: Info below:

BrahMos-2 hypersonic missile to be 'uninerceptable'?, page 1
BrahMos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
domain-b.com : Development of hypersonic, BrahMos-2 version to begin this year

There are two types of anti-ship missiles. the first type flies at high altitude, high mach number, and high range. the second type flies at low altitude and low speed. Many today's missiles have the both flight models. the first type is Russian's favorite but Americans don't think high of the former since they are easier to detect and hence subjected to high risk of interception. Some of china's earliest anti-ship missile, e.g. C101,were supersonic. But PLAN phased them out and later turn to YJ-81/YJ-82(C801/C802) which are sub-sonic but more effective. YJ-83 (C803) are basically the second model but maneuver at high speed and low altitude at end-course. in real battle practice, the Russians would also use the second flight model for their missiles in most time.

There are two types of anti-ship missiles. the first type flies at high altitude, high mach number, and high range. the second type flies at low altitude and low speed. Many today's missiles have the both flight models. the first type is Russian's favorite but Americans don't think high of the former since they are easier to detect and hence subjected to high risk of interception. Some of china's earliest anti-ship missile, e.g. C101,were supersonic. But PLAN phased them out and later turn to YJ-81/YJ-82(C801/C802) which are sub-sonic but more effective. YJ-83 (C803) are basically the second model but maneuver at high speed and low altitude at end-course. in real battle practice, the Russians would also use the second flight model for their missiles in most time.

this is the reason why i dont think much of the indian/russian Brahmos, early on china had supersonic missiles but now that china has way more cash, industrial capacity, design capacity and technology the focus is much more on subsonic, low profile supersonic terminal phase missiles, clearly they thought that fast but hot and high is not as effective as slow but lows and cool. secondly the US too focuses more on subsonic missiles as does the Europeans and don't tell me they arnt capable of making supersonic missiles.

ohh yes.. the Dong Feng 21D.It is the World's first anti-ship ballistic missile aimed at denying the enemy the supremacy over the waters.Nick-named as the Carrier-killer,the DF-21D,can attack a moving aircraft carrier from a range as long as 3000km.
It is further assisted by satellites that provide it with targeting information from Synthetic Aperture Radar and visual imaging respectively.

a very mean weapon I must say.
We have gone through this many times. What is funny is that the aircraft carrier is found to have all sorts of vulnerabilities but when the DF-21's vulnerabilities are exposed and examined...:rolleyes:...Everyone scatters.

We have gone through this many times. What is funny is that the aircraft carrier is found to have all sorts of vulnerabilities but when the DF-21's vulnerabilities are exposed and examined...:rolleyes:...Everyone scatters.

How do you feel about the recent influx of Vietnamese onto PDF? Should your vulnerabilities be exposed and exaimned?

BrahMos Would Operate from Russian ' Gorshkov ' class Of Frigates,Russian project 21956 Destroyers Will Be Equipped with BrahMos II.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom