What's new

Dilemma of an Indian Muslim

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

Maqbul Jamil

I write in response to the sad truth about Muslim rage and Islamism in India.

What can we do? It is not easy being a Muslim in India. He has to contend with dilemmas at all levels -- fight battles at home and wage war with the outside world. Today, Muslims in India live at the intersection of two worlds, one modern and secular and the other traditional and religious. They belong to a generation that escaped the bloody partition but faced riots and subtle discrimination.

If they are a bit wary today, it is sometimes understandable.

Majority of 150 million Indian Muslims not only have to worry about worsening communal relations and police brutality, but also face high unemployment and widespread poverty.
They live in urban ghettos or squalid villages and suffer from ignorance, ridicule, humiliation and resentment.

They are easy prey to the unscrupulous mullahs and self-serving politicians who consider them to be dependable vote-banks.

The profound sense of pain caused by calculated and senseless ridicule of their religious practices only serves to alienate them from the national mainstream.

Some sections of the media and a few politico-religious entities keep attacking the religious sensibilities of Muslims with little regard to the hurt it causes.

To say that Indian Muslims have always demonstrated a total lack of dignity and tolerance amounts to a lack of historical awareness. It appears so because Muslims in India have not gone through any social revolution that would have catapulted them into a modern secular society.

Often a secular-traditional path is not their way and we cannot change that overnight.

But all these facts of life of Indian Muslims do not justify killing innocents in temples in Gujarat or Varanasi. There can also be no justification for killing a professor in Bangalore or shoppers in New Delhi or commuters in Mumbai.

Such barbaric and wanton acts of violence should be condemned by one and all. The mainstream Muslims (most Muslims in India) need to do more. They should understand that preachers of hatred play on their feelings of despair to build the forces with which they can impose their writ on a world where liberty is crushed and inequality reigns.

Muslims need to challenge the imams in every mosque to preach universal values and not hate-mongering. The message should be loud and clear: nothing, not even despair, justifies choosing darkness, totalitarianism and hatred.

Mainstream Muslims need to engage with the law enforcement agencies to help stem senseless killings. They need to stop the Islamists/jihadists from hijacking their religion and their destiny.

After having overcome colonialism and obscurantism, India now faces a new totalitarian threat: Islamism. Indians everywhere should struggle against religious totalitarianism and work for the promotion of freedom, equal opportunity and secular values for all.

The savage killings in Mumbai have once again underlined the necessity for waging a struggle for these universal values. This struggle will not be won by enforcement of law and POTA, but in the ideological field.

What we are witnessing in India are neither a clash of civilizations nor antagonism between Hindutva and Islamism but a global struggle that confronts democrats and theocrats.
Like all totalitarian ideologies (Fascism, Nazism, Stalinism, Zionism), Islamism is nurtured by fear and frustration. The government and the society should address the perceived and real grievances that enflame the emotions of millions of Indians.

The government should refuse to countenance blackmail and threat of violence from terrorist outfits and religious organisations. Article 370 that gives special status to Jammu and Kashmir should be scrapped immediately. It has no relevance today. Kashmiris should be convinced that they are an integral part of India and will remain so.

The Kashmiris must also understand that the plebiscite promised 50 years ago cannot take place now, as Pakistan forcefully occupies one third of the territory in the western sector and China occupies some land in the west.

The Muslim Personal law is a farce. Why should the civil law be based on Sharia and not the criminal law? Why should the Indian Muslim male have the prerogative of talaq? And, why should not he be stoned to death for adultery?

It is imperative to have a uniform civil code in India. Why not secularise the madrassa which provide education and refuge to millions of poor Muslims in South Asia, including India?
In the name of affirmative action, the government must not merely push for reservations but actively work for the economic upliftment of the poor people, including Muslims.

We also need to the address the issue of proportionate representation of Muslims in all walks of life in India.

The media, intelligentsia and common people of India must rise above the stereotypes and stop viewing all Muslims as drug pushers, smugglers, pickpockets or hooligans. We all must understand that it is due to deprivation and destitution and not due to any religious teachings that people are forced to indulge in such nefarious activities.

If a section of the Muslim community cheers the Pakistani cricket or hockey team, why should the entire community be blamed for that and branded unpatriotic?

But, we should refuse to renounce our "critical spirit" for fear of being accused of "Islamophobia", a concept that confuses criticism of Islam as a religion with stigmatisation of those who believe in it.

The protracted battle for the temple in Ayodhya is a grim reminder of the serious communal situation. The Muslims should be persuaded to give the disputed land as a gesture of goodwill and the Hindus provide alternative land and money for building a mosque.

We need to also forget about Mathura and other disputed places of worship (and likewise Hindus should also forego claims that Taj Mahal was an old Shiva temple).

I appeal to democrats and free spirits in every corner of the country that our century may be one of light and not darkness.

Maqbul Jamil works for Novartis Pharmaceuticals in USA and can be contacted at drj8666@hotmail.com.

Disclaimer:
All views and opinions presented in this article are solely those of the surfer and do not necessarily represent those of HindustanTimes.com.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1743892,0093.htm

Maqbul Jamil

I write in response to the sad truth about Muslim rage and Islamism in India.

Maqbul Jamil works for Novartis Pharmaceuticals in USA and can be contacted at drj8666@hotmail.com.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1743892,0093.htm

Sitting at thousands of Kilometers away and 'Commenting' on the SAD parts is the work that bears no value. Had the writer ever tried to read and understand the true pscyche of Indian Muslims, he would have known the opposite truths about them. Indian muslims are better muslims, and have no known affiliation to any known so called 'Terrorist Organization'. Propaganda views like this shows the myopic view of the writer.
Kashif

Sitting at thousands of Kilometers away and 'Commenting' on the SAD parts is the work that bears no value. Had the writer ever tried to read and understand the true pscyche of Indian Muslims, he would have known the opposite truths about them. Indian muslims are better muslims, and have no known affiliation to any known so called 'Terrorist Organization'. Propaganda views like this shows the myopic view of the writer.
Kashif

Neo, you have your answer .

Indian muslims are better muslims, and have no known affiliation to any known so called 'Terrorist Organization'. Propaganda views like this shows the myopic view of the writer.
Kashif

So now we're judging who is a 'better' Muslim based on some criteria that you use? How is this not propaganda than what you criticize as propaganda?

You do not have any right given to you by a divine authority or a political one for that matter to decide who is 'better' since it is NOT up to you to judge the 'higher morality' of an individual or a group as you, yourself will be judged.

So now we're judging who is a 'better' Muslim based on some criteria that you use? How is this not propaganda than what you criticize as propaganda?

You do not have any right given to you by a divine authority or a political one for that matter to decide who is 'better' since it is NOT up to you to judge the 'higher morality' of an individual or a group as you, yourself will be judged.

Prove your point dear!
It is the accuser who need to furnish the details, not the accused! I need not to clarify my point but it the writer and his supporters that need to explain thier accusitions with plain facts and figures.
Not It is?
kashif

Prove your point dear!
It is the accuser who need to furnish the details, not the accused! I need not to clarify my point but it the writer and his supporters that need to explain thier accusitions with plain facts and figures.
Not It is?
kashif

totally agree with you kashif i have been to india a number of times i have many relatives there and they are also very happy there the indian muslims are one of the best people i have met in my life and i love them each and every one of them coz atleast in my heart i know (ALLAH(SWT) knows best) that the majority of the indian muslims are atleast better then me and no matter what my political vews hold i will allways love them:toast:

totally agree with you kashif i have been to india a number of times i have many relatives there and they are also very happy there the indian muslims are one of the best people i have met in my life and i love them each and every one of them coz atleast in my heart i know (ALLAH(SWT) knows best) that the majority of the indian muslims are atleast better then me and no matter what my political vews hold i will allways love them:toast:

Thanks dear! Appreciate your truth and frankness. Keep it up.:toast:
Kashif

The article makes an interesting point about the Uniform civil code.The BJP which both pakistani and indian media like to bash up as being communal had asked for a uniform civil code a long time back.But it was the mullahs and imams in india who opposed it on the grounds that it wud be "interference in religious matters of muslims" which the indian constitution does not permit.The congress and its allies backed them and now the whole thing is as dead as a dodo.
IMHO the indian muslims should stop supporting those religious leaders who dont care a sh*t about introducing reform and gender equity among the general muslim populace.Ditto for the political leaders who treat them as vote banks. The article is right to some extent but the Indian muslims have the power to change things if they want to.

I dont know but i feel Indian muslims "ofcourse if they are educated and are from a good family" lives a much better life then muslims in UK and stuffs.

We dont have Veil problem, we dont mock at them again veil is not allowed in courts and hospitals.
so its all good, where its needed its done rest let one practice what they want.

unfortunately a survey conducted 0.7% of the 20% muslims in India are undeducated and lives under poverty.
literacy is around65% overall so out of rest 45% 20% are muslims.

They "as in remote areas", seriously needs to come in the light of education from madrasas or as new govt is doing madrasa courses needs to be changed.

its fact, religious teachings alone wont make someone a statesman, one cannot be a poet until he has rice in his stomach.

new courses includes computer education, complimentary science studies for 5 hours.
Its also fact on a study based by pathkar commission, in rural areas muslims despite having the will to study specially girls most of the times areforced to leave out from schools.
so a new law will be introduced on bound to stay in hostel for girls and boys.
Hopefully this will increase the standard a bit.

The gap between URBAN and Rural muslims are MASSIVE.
while my friend Tarif holds 2 shops in my city and does everything "even if somethings are against Islam(not to offend anyone here), his view of life is live as you want"

Neo, you have your answer .

Bull and Kashifbhai,

I donot fully support the views of the author but there's some truth in the story.
I too have travelled accross India and seen alot myself.

IMHO the indian muslims should stop supporting those religious leaders who dont care a sh*t about introducing reform and gender equity among the general muslim populace.Ditto for the political leaders who treat them as vote banks. The article is right to some extent but the Indian muslims have the power to change things if they want to.

The Muslim board chairman himself told CNN IBN in "faith in progress", Muslims in India need to change and they need to know when shariat is unacceptable and when not there needs a slight reform, but we are not too sure who'll will do that in the ruralest parts of the country".
And the Female Muslim leader of India supported him.

unfortunately Muslim women remains one of most backward community in India due to lack of common sense and hell bend on religion.

There's no such thing as 'better' muslims since its only for Allah to see thru their souls and judge. Islam doesn't teach competition but encorages one to selfimprovement.

But I'll agree that Indian muslims are quite secular and peacefull.

There's no such thing as 'better' muslims since its only for Allah to see thru their souls and judge. Islam doesn't teach competition but encorages one to selfimprovement.

But I'll agree that Indian muslims are quite secular and peacefull.

Neo,
he didnt mean any harm.What he meant was that,the sort of extremism seen among some muslims havnt yet got into india.

Neo,
he didnt mean any harm.What he meant was that,the sort of extremism seen among some muslims havnt yet got into india.

Thanks Bull,
I got that in the first place but needed to say what I said. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom