What's new

Digital meters to curb electricity theft

ameer219

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

electric-meter-AP-640x480.jpg

LAHORE: The Lahore Electricity Supply Company (Lesco) will attempt to curb electricity pilferage through new digital meters and a satellite system that has been successfully tested locally, the Lesco authorities said on Tuesday.

The company has decided to extend the project across Pakistan after it got the results of a pilot project in Delhi Gate, Lahore. Lesco, in collaboration with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), replaced the old electricity meters in the industrial and residential areas of Delhi Gate with the new Turkish manufactured digital meters.

Lesco Chief Executive Javaid Pervaiz is to submit a report to the managing director of the Pakistan Electric Power Company (Pepco), Rasool Khan Mehmood, on Wednesday (today). Lesco officials said the report would highly recommend the new meters.

In the first phase of the project, the meters will be installed in areas where electricity theft is relatively high. These meters will not only help check theft, but also help to ease power consumption.

Lesco officials say that that the readings on these new digital meters cannot be tampered with, making it hard to conceal electricity theft. They send data about electricity consumption direct to the company’s database via satellite, they added.

“The satellite sends the data to the main server in America. After that it is reported to the Lesco administration,” a Lesco official said. He added that once the digital meters are installed nationwide, Lesco will purchase its own server from America.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 27th, 2010.

Digital meters to curb electricity theft – The Express Tribune

Great news guys!!

great news........... start from Karachi as that is the mother of Electricity theft

This is the need of the hour. Power company revenues will increase and will lead to decrease in bills. This should have been done like yesterday. Good news.

Pakistan should also work on importing such transformers I saw on TV some Pakistan guy was talking about it I think Najam Sethi such transformers that when kunda choors try to theft electricity illegally it'll burn their electronics and anything, thus it'll discourage electricity theft.

I heard this kind of meters (first post) are also in installed in Delhi and one of the guy found a way to temper it by using some magnet and slowing down the meter reading...

So we must ensure the safe precautions so that it cannot be altered anyway possible. I guess they will be locked/sealed in a special-box so that they cannot be opened....and if the seal is broken anyhow..........screw the culprits

Get prepaid meter with magnetic card. If you need we can export some from Bangladesh. Very cheap as we made them locally. ;-)

I heard this kind of meters (first post) are also in installed in Delhi and one of the guy found a way to temper it by using some magnet and slowing down the meter reading...

So we must ensure the safe precautions so that it cannot be altered anyway possible. I guess they will be locked/sealed in a special-box so that they cannot be opened....and if the seal is broken anyhow..........screw the culprits

We have same type of digital meter in our factory in Mumbai ,it is from Reliance energy.
They are very good meters and very difficult to temper. Before digital meters there was entire small scale industry was running , which provide various methods and men power to temper analog meters(they were charging 15% to 20% of units they reduce). but now it is very very difficult and chances are more that you will get caught if meter is tempered provided that meter reading officer is honest.

I have one digital meter in my street and its working for two months now....will post the picture tomorrow.

easy to temper, key to curb elec. theft is install these meters outside on wall etc near main gate of property. That way meter reading officer can work without fear.

The main problem is not with the electric meter.... the real problem is kunda system lol .... ppls dont have meters they directly use electricity from power supply lines.

great news........... start from Karachi as that is the mother of Electricity theft

You are absolutely right my friend :rofl: :rofl:

easy to temper, key to curb elec. theft is install these meters outside on wall etc near main gate of property. That way meter reading officer can work without fear.

yes now days all meters are outside the property not inside like old days

The main problem is not with the electric meter.... the real problem is kunda system lol .... ppls dont have meters they directly use electricity from power supply lines.

Pathaan colony...up the hills of Manghoo piir..Karachi.were doing this kunda en mass.The whole colony was full of kunda...The law enforcement felt outgunned and outnumbered if they tried to get rid of the menace..

electric-meter-AP-640x480.jpg

LAHORE: The Lahore Electricity Supply Company (Lesco) will attempt to curb electricity pilferage through new digital meters and a satellite system that has been successfully tested locally, the Lesco authorities said on Tuesday.

The company has decided to extend the project across Pakistan after it got the results of a pilot project in Delhi Gate, Lahore. Lesco, in collaboration with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), replaced the old electricity meters in the industrial and residential areas of Delhi Gate with the new Turkish manufactured digital meters.

Lesco Chief Executive Javaid Pervaiz is to submit a report to the managing director of the Pakistan Electric Power Company (Pepco), Rasool Khan Mehmood, on Wednesday (today). Lesco officials said the report would highly recommend the new meters.

In the first phase of the project, the meters will be installed in areas where electricity theft is relatively high. These meters will not only help check theft, but also help to ease power consumption.

Lesco officials say that that the readings on these new digital meters cannot be tampered with, making it hard to conceal electricity theft. They send data about electricity consumption direct to the company’s database via satellite, they added.

“The satellite sends the data to the main server in America. After that it is reported to the Lesco administration,” a Lesco official said. He added that once the digital meters are installed nationwide, Lesco will purchase its own server from America.

Digital meters to curb electricity theft – The Express Tribune

Great news guys!!

NADRA database...already saved in America..Now this...

Then we say we are a sovereign country.

As far as i know i may be wrong they can be tampered by creating magnetic field around them. i am not sure but someone i know tried that and was quite successful.

I think they copied this image from a news I was listening couple of days ago on Solar panels installed in a company somewhere in the United States

They had a very similar meter installed and if I am not wrong, it looks 100% like that
As far as i know i may be wrong they can be tampered by creating magnetic field around them. i am not sure but someone i know tried that and was quite successful.
Oh yeah you told me about that before :lol:
But if they are sealed securely in a box i don't think anybody would dare to temper them.....as if that happens (or the seal is broken), the WAPDA authorities would screw 'em up

Back
Top Bottom