What's new

Defeat of Sikhs by Dilasa Khan Bannuchi

Samandri

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Bannuchis (who from 1823 to 1845 were every second or third year invaded by Sikhs} invaded a large Sikh army, which never entered their valley without fear and trembling ; and although it generally succeeded in squeezing out of them a considerable revenue, never quitted it without having suffered severe loss at the hands of some stout rebel. Thus on one occasion Malik Dilasa Khan head of the Daud shah Tappah, stood a siege of several days in his mud fort, and repulsed the Sikhs after inflicting upon them a loss of over two hundred men.' Now the Bannuchis as a tribe were a nation of cowards compared with the Marwats ; but they' had nearly four hundred compact villages, each a fort in itself, surrounded by a thick mud wall, strengthened with numerous towers, behind which they fought well. Added to this they were adepts at night assassination, and on the entrance of the Sikhs into their little Pandemonium, they by common consent suspended their own feuds for the time, called their Waziri foes "brothers," and attacked with one accord the Kafir (infidel) enemy whenever they could with safety to themselves. From first to last no attempt was made to occupy the valley permanently, and in open Marwat even it was not until 1844 that a fort was erected, a Sikh garrison located in it, and the country consigned to the tender mercies of a Kardar or revenue collector, the celebrated Fateh Khan Tiwana.

Dilasa Khan Bannuchi, some years before Edwardes first came to Bannu, repulsed with considerable loss a large Sikh force, which was besieging his village fort, and thus gained for himself undying fame. I give here some lines from the ballad celebrating his victory, which is still popular amongst Bannuchis and Marwats, to show the deep-rooted fanaticism of the people.

In the opening verses, the Sikhs are represented as boasting of their conquest of the valley; and first threatening Dilasa Khan with quick destruction should he not submit,and then, finding him obstinate, making tempting promises to him.

The 'Ghazi Dilasa' Taunts them as 'Kafirs' and replies:

"Countries are of no use to me:
If I am martyred, God will give me paradise.
All the world is fleeting, as we are born from earth."
The Sikh force came and pitched against Dilasa.
Day and night, oh friends! they fought without ceasing.
'Twas a great earthquake. Boys and girls were kept awake.
Thanks be to God that Dilasa came out with honour.
He fought with the infidels, he became a Ghazi.
All the people praise him; from sins he has been cleansed.
The Houris of paradise have made him their own - 'tis a truth from the book.
He put the Sikhs to flight. Where will they flee religionless?

Source: Bannú: Or Our Afghan Frontier by Septimus Smet Thorburn

When the news of Raja Sher Singh's rebellion at Multan reached Bannu, about the 25th September, the Sikhs rose in mutiny. They murdered Colonel Holmes, seized four light guns which had been withdrawn from the bastions for the purpose of being sent to Multan, and besieged Fatah Khan in the inner fort of Dalipghar. He called the Mubammadan tribes to arms, and many answered to the call, but the Malik had even in Bannu as many enemies as friends. First came to his aid Muhammad Khan Isakhel whom the Malik had once reinstated in his chiefship : then Dilasah Khan, whose name was a terror to the Sikhs, and who had beaten from his mud fort Tara Chand and the bravest of the Sikh Sirdars. With these came Jaffir Khan of Tappi, Bazid Khan Shorani, Sher Khan and Muhammad Azaz Khan Isakhel.
(The Panjab chiefs, historical and biographical notices By Lepel Henry Griffin (sir.)page 531)

(It seems this Malik Dilasa khan supported besieged Malik fateh khan tiwana by Sikhs in bannu. In bannu gazetteer it is mentioned, without details, that dilasa khan had led a lashkar of dawar tribesmen against sikhs and english in Bannu .Sir Sir Herbert Edward , on his second visit to bannu in 1947, writes that all maliks of bannu attended his jirga except Dilasa khan, so it seems he was also hostile to English. By local accounts, he was exiled from bannu by British after the occupation of district and died a natural death , thats why he is called ghazi dilasa)

Malik Dilasa Khan of Bannu | History of Pashtuns

@ghoul, @Jaggu

Last edited:
Sikhs history is over glorified especially in India. Bollwood is partly to be blamed too.

Everyone how easily those Khalistanis were crushed.
oye fuddu Bollywood rarely portrays Sikhs in good light. Sikhs history is only couple of pages in text books. how is it over glorified. khalistanis real ones were few in numbers who fought for the cause and even people started supporting the cause but within few years lots of looteras started caling them khalistanis and looting people. they would harass men who don't grow beard or women who have no dupatta like todays talibaboons.. n many of these ex militants are now supers rich living comfortable lives with blood at their hands. sacks full of indian currency was recoverd from the dead ones..later people got fed of them and Punjab police took them out after a lot of bloodshed.

The Bannuchis (who from 1823 to 1845 were every second or third year invaded by Sikhs} invaded a large Sikh army, which never entered their valley without fear and trembling ; and although it generally succeeded in squeezing out of them a considerable revenue, never quitted it without having suffered severe loss at the hands of some stout rebel. Thus on one occasion Malik Dilasa Khan head of the Daud shah Tappah, stood a siege of several days in his mud fort, and repulsed the Sikhs after inflicting upon them a loss of over two hundred men.' Now the Bannuchis as a tribe were a nation of cowards compared with the Marwats ; but they' had nearly four hundred compact villages, each a fort in itself, surrounded by a thick mud wall, strengthened with numerous towers, behind which they fought well. Added to this they were adepts at night assassination, and on the entrance of the Sikhs into their little Pandemonium, they by common consent suspended their own feuds for the time, called their Waziri foes "brothers," and attacked with one accord the Kafir (infidel) enemy whenever they could with safety to themselves. From first to last no attempt was made to occupy the valley permanently, and in open Marwat even it was not until 1844 that a fort was erected, a Sikh garrison located in it, and the country consigned to the tender mercies of a Kardar or revenue collector, the celebrated Fateh Khan Tiwana.

Dilasa Khan Bannuchi, some years before Edwardes first came to Bannu, repulsed with considerable loss a large Sikh force, which was besieging his village fort, and thus gained for himself undying fame. I give here some lines from the ballad celebrating his victory, which is still popular amongst Bannuchis and Marwats, to show the deep-rooted fanaticism of the people.

In the opening verses, the Sikhs are represented as boasting of their conquest of the valley; and first threatening Dilasa Khan with quick destruction should he not submit,and then, finding him obstinate, making tempting promises to him.

When the news of Raja Sher Singh's rebellion at Multan reached Bannu, about the 25th September, the Sikhs rose in mutiny. They murdered Colonel Holmes, seized four light guns which had been withdrawn from the bastions for the purpose of being sent to Multan, and besieged Fatah Khan in the inner fort of Dalipghar. He called the Mubammadan tribes to arms, and many answered to the call, but the Malik had even in Bannu as many enemies as friends. First came to his aid Muhammad Khan Isakhel whom the Malik had once reinstated in his chiefship : then Dilasah Khan, whose name was a terror to the Sikhs, and who had beaten from his mud fort Tara Chand and the bravest of the Sikh Sirdars. With these came Jaffir Khan of Tappi, Bazid Khan Shorani, Sher Khan and Muhammad Azaz Khan Isakhel.
(The Panjab chiefs, historical and biographical notices By Lepel Henry Griffin (sir.)page 531)

(It seems this Malik Dilasa khan supported besieged Malik fateh khan tiwana by Sikhs in bannu. In bannu gazetteer it is mentioned, without details, that dilasa khan had led a lashkar of dawar tribesmen against sikhs and english in Bannu .Sir Sir Herbert Edward , on his second visit to bannu in 1947, writes that all maliks of bannu attended his jirga except Dilasa khan, so it seems he was also hostile to English. By local accounts, he was exiled from bannu by British after the occupation of district and died a natural death , thats why he is called ghazi dilasa)

@ghoul, @Jaggu

pathans were worthy enemy of Sikhs is all i can say but this account Sikhs armies were trembling and fearfull while entering valley is self boasting.. khalsa warriors fear none.

@ghoul, @Jaggu

This writeup is kind of confusing.

It says Dilasa Khan of Bannu.

but then he is described to have villages
------------ (So Dilasa Khan must not be from Bannu city of today. Correct?)

then he has foes like Waziris.
------------ (So Dilasa Khan must not be the areas now called North or South Wazirastan. Correct?)

Let's make sure we can pin point his base (or bases) outside bunnu in today's maps.

Without these specific details, this thread will turn into an empty chest beating from all sides.

Thank you.

you have stated in other thread you once lost mental balance and wanted to kill yourself.. I feel pity on you wont argue with such a suicidal soul. rather no one should take you seriousy

Kill myself?

:rofl:

That's bs.

I might die from shame If my people were massacred by paan spitting bhaiyas tho.

Poor doabis got picked off by paan spitters and make up stories about 15 sikhs vs 30k pathans. gtfo and take your paag with you.

pathans were worthy enemy of Sikhs is all i can say but this account Sikhs armies were trembling and fearfull while entering valley is self boasting.. khalsa warriors fear none.

Sikhs are and were overrated, one-off does not count. Few years here and there does not count. Pashtuns have proved themselves time and time again. Yes Sikhs were worthy enemy of Pashtuns for a short period of time, however compare them to other enemies of Pashtuns over the centuries sikhs does not even come close. Everyone tried and miserably failed, history is the witness.

Kill myself?

:rofl:

That's bs.

I might die from shame If my people were massacred by paan spitting bhaiyas tho.

Poor doabis got picked off by paan spitters.
you stated yourself in another thread you tried to kill yourself by drinking to death but you kept throwing out and you aint gutsy enough to jump of a bridge and then later on some angel came in your dream and you stoped drinking.. didn't you

you have stated in other thread you once lost mental balance and wanted to kill yourself.. I feel pity on you wont argue with such a suicidal soul. rather no one should take you seriousy

Sardar Ji,

Jaanay do bhai sahib. Almost 100% posters on PDF are mental patients of some sorts. hahahah

Otherwise why would they waste time here.

hain Ji. hain ji.

Keeh Khiyal hai Tohada.

Sat sri Akaal.

Sikhs are and were overrated, one-off does not count. Few years here and there does not count. Pashtuns have proved themselves time and time again. Yes Sikhs were worthy enemy of Pashtuns for a short period of time, however compare them to other enemies of Pashtuns over the centuries sikhs does not even come close. Everyone tried and miserably failed, history is the witness.

Well said.

Sikh power mainly showed up from 1800-1860s until British toppled their gov.

However we must realize that Pashtuns have been the biggest enemies of Pashtuns for centuries after centuries after centuries.

peace to you

all we know about pashtoons is they boast about being in someone else mercenaries. they were budhist got converted to muslims by sword, got the brunt of invasions many times and present day Afghanistan was the creation of ahmed shah abdali..other than some empires in Bihar and Bengal whose rulers were pashtoon decent but they had no alligeance to Afghanistan proper I dunno where from this pride comes from.

Back
Top Bottom