What's new

Deeply concerned about rise of fanaticism in Arab world: India

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Deeply concerned about rise of fanaticism in Arab world: India

NEW DELHI: Amid escalation in violence in a number of Gulf countries, India on Thursday expressed deep concern over the rise of fanaticism, extremism and terrorism in parts of the Arab region, saying they are tearing apart the fabric of societies as well as affecting regional stability.

In an address at an event here, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj touched on a range of issues relating to Gulf nations and said India was looking at investments from the sizeable sovereign wealth funds in the oil-rich countries which can prove to be a "game changer" in India's quest for world-class infrastructure.

"Looking ahead, one can identify India's infrastructure sector as a major growth area for Arab investments. Our government has made infrastructure upgrade and the creation of smart cities major national priorities," she said launching the first India-League of Arab States Media symposium here.

Referring to violence in a number Gulf countries, Swaraj said "being a longstanding partner of the Arab world, we in India are also deeply concerned with the rise of fanaticism, extremism and terrorism in parts of the region." "We are concerned for the stability of these countries where terrorism and fanaticism are tearing apart the fabric of societies and also concerned over the spill-over effects on regional stability.

40598896.cms

Foreign minister Sushma Swaraj poses with the delegates for group photographs at the First India-League of Arab States Media symposium in New Delhi, on August 21, 2014.

"This concern is but natural as the fates of our two regions are intertwined in many ways. Our national and energy interests are certainly important; but more important is the human bond," Swaraj said.

Calling for deepening of trade ties, Swaraj said the possibilities of growth on both sides are "virtually limitless". A number of countries in the Gulf region including Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain have huge sovereign wealth funds. The Gulf region accounts for over 60 per cent of India's oil and gas requirements. Collectively the Arab world is India's largest trading partner, with bilateral trade increasing to over $180 billion in 2012-13.

Noting that continued peace and stability in the region was crucial for "mutual strategic interest", Swaraj said India has been watching "post-Arab Spring" developments very closely.

"India continues to be guided by the principles of being non-interfering, non-prescriptive and non-judgmental. In other words, India remains ready to provide any support, but strongly believes that it is for the Arab countries to decide their destiny, without any external interference or diktats from outside," she said.

40599129.cms

Foreign minister Sushma Swaraj speaking at the First India-League of Arab States Media symposium in New Delhi, on August 21, 2014.

Referring to India's position on the Israel-Gaza conflict, she said there have been conflicting interpretations in sections of the media and said "on such a sensitive issue, there is no room for confusion or misunderstanding." "Let me repeat, and underline, once again: There is no change in India's policy of extending strong support to the Palestinian cause, while maintaining good relations with Israel.

"India is deeply concerned at the loss of large number of civilian lives in Gaza. We have called on both sides to exercise maximum restraint and work towards a comprehensive resolution of the Palestinian issue. Apart from strong political support to the Palestinian cause at international, regional and bilateral levels, India has been contributing budgetary, economic and developmental assistance to Palestine and its people," she said.

The external affairs minister said "In these times of challenge and ongoing transitions happening in various Arab countries, the need for a constructive dialogue has never been greater."

The day-long symposium was attended by delegates from several Arab nations like Iraq, Egypt, Bahrain Qatar, Kuwait, Lebanon and Palestine.

40599270.cms

A refugee camp in northern Iraq sheltering people from the Yazidi sect fleeing violence perpetrated against them by Islamic State jihadists.
Stressing on NDA government's unflinching commitment to sustain and expand relations with the Arab world, she said, "We see West Asia as part of our extended neighbourhood", and that the region was a sturdy pillar of India's energy security.

Swaraj said the 7-million strong Indian diaspora in the region have been a "bridge-builder and economic connector" between the two sides and send more than $40 billion in remittances annually.

"Economic ties are complemented with enhanced two-way flow of people between the two sides. There are 700 flights a week between India and UAE alone," she said.

MEA spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said the symposium has been organised to help bridge the gap between media of the two sides.
Deeply concerned about rise of fanaticism in Arab world: India - The Times of India

Says a nation which Elected a fanatic mass murderer. Oh the irony of it!
Unlike almost all Islamic Nations, India has a functioning and independent Court System in which the entire country puts its faith in. The Supreme Court has exonerated Narendra Modi. That is enough.

I see nothing but frustration in your post.

Unlike almost all Islamic Nations, India has a functioning and independent Court System in which the entire country puts its faith in. The Supreme Court has exonerated Narendra Modi. That is enough.

I see nothing but frustration in your post.

Actually, he is a Respected Admin..........His job is to Stop Trolling & banned those who posts inflammatory posts.................

Oh the irony of it! :rolleyes:

Very nice Administrator .No wonder why others spew trolls here when a responsible person posted like this.
Till now we dont mention anything like this your PM Nawaz Sharif even his party involved in Punjab killings.
We dont care foreigners opinion in India.Officially Indian Supreme Court and other establishments couldnt find any evidence against our PM.Unofficially Indian media ,International media like BBC and 'Get Modi 'Campaign of Hilary clinton efforts of 10 decade couldnt show any proof.
But these is not the case in Arab world especially in Iraq whole the world know that .

There should be great concern about this matter because the militants are actively recruiting children to lay the foundations of a terrorist state for the coming generations. The West made all the wrong decisions in Iraq and Syria which is why we find ourselves in this conundrum. Intelligence suggests that ISIS will be keen on 'franchising' operations to Pakistan and India based militants which may include transfer of training material and even trainers.

:lol: what is your locus standi on this matter.

5,000 Hindus migrating to India every year, NA told - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

And your army who ruled your country for more than 30 years are the worst human rights violator. who can forget baluchistan, bangladesh, waziristan and FATA.

and a figure 10-15 times that number would account for the number of dalits/shudras/untouchables like you who are either thrashed, humiliated or bludgeoned to death by extremist brahmin mobs so thanks for your lecture but no thanks.

and what do military operations have to do with fanaticism or violation of human rights? Still bringing up bangla desh seriously dude - you dotheads are like broken records i tell you :laugh: :laugh:

thousands of Muslims butchered in gujrat under the "watchful eye" of a terrorist who is now your prime minister...you hindus do believe in the "karma" concept dont you

Ya and still have a peaceful and growth oriented country.
Oh the irony of it!!

growth which has waned considerably

peaceful if you cherry-pick and continue to ignore the ongoing seperatist/rebellion movements in about 1/3 of your landmass

--
with due respect...
go to hell
A nation who came on death bodies on Direct action and atorciitrs in east paksitan dont have moral and ethics to do so..

told 100 times..
i know its PDF non officel policy to call PM terrorist so my response .
somtimes non sense to be replied with nonsesne ... as i was decent before many times..

and a figure 10-15 times that number would account for the number of dalits/shudras/untouchables like you who are either thrashed, humiliated or bludgeoned to death by extremist brahmin mobs so thanks for your lecture but no thanks.

and what do military operations have to do with fanaticism or violation of human rights? Still bringing up bangla desh seriously dude - you dotheads are like broken records i tell you :laugh: :laugh:

thousands of Muslims butchered in gujrat under the "watchful eye" of a terrorist who is now your prime minister...you hindus do believe in the "karma" concept dont you

peaceful if you cherry-pick and continue to ignore the ongoing seperatist/rebellion movements in about 1/3 of your landmass
---
Dalits..
many dalits on high govt post even as President
---
Gujrat ..
yes . it was sad things..
but dont see only side..
i can tel you 100 incindent of karachi
so think about that befoe goin gujrat

a fanatic won an election in india and is now their prime minister and indian are issuing such statements? :laugh:
--
natioanlist won ..
cleared by indina SC...
i know you care dam about insitution .
so the caios outisde your parliament
--
we still have men of integrity in high insitutin .

:lol: again a failed attempt, no wonder why country is bracketed along with somalia. there is nothing like that happened in India, i guess it might be in your curriculum to make you feel strong :lol: I know more muslims get killed in karachi alone than rest of India and even I'm not counting the victims of drone strikes and sextarian violence and freedom movement in baluchistan.

Bangladesh is a reality you should accept it and say sorry for the brutality u did there. it was indian army who saved 90000 POWs from bangladeshis.

Modi was under scrutiny for so long, even supreme court didn't find him guilty and he is more than welcome to be our prime minister.. you people have institutionalised the crime against minorities using blasphemy laws. such a shameless person you are.

Last edited:
At least the fanatic Arabs didn't have their names black listed and denied visas on account of the same reasons. Enough said!!

Something about Somalia? Indians absolute poverty figures win it the distinction of being grouped in that bracket. So put your money - I mean your bindi- where your mouth is numb nuts

Back
Top Bottom