What's new

Dam Construction in Pakistan

What about privatizing about the dams? We all know the efficient the government vs. the private sector.

The environmental affect might be a concern, though.

I totally agree that Pakistan is suffering from electricity shortage.. We need dams to full fill our business requirements and to continue our life..:blah:

so the work on Bahsha hasn't started yet? meanin no major dam construction has started everything is still on paper!!!! its sad at the progress we are going when the need of the hour is such severe water shortage!!

so the work on Bahsha hasn't started yet? meanin no major dam construction has started everything is still on paper!!!! its sad at the progress we are going when the need of the hour is such severe water shortage!!

yes the construction work on bhabha dam has been started yet that is due to the fact our government's top priority is to build smaller dams first in order to tackle to short term crisis. We have at least 8 smaller dams under construction expecting all those to be completed by year 2011. Bhasha dam is expected to start construction by the end of this year and i believe in the upcoming budget they will allocate some money for daimer-bhasha dam's construction too

yes the construction work on bhabha dam has been started yet that is due to the fact our government's top priority is to build smaller dams first in order to tackle to short term crisis. We have at least 8 smaller dams under construction expecting all those to be completed by year 2011. Bhasha dam is expected to start construction by the end of this year and i believe in the upcoming budget they will allocate some money for daimer-bhasha dam's construction too

how much Basha Dam took to Build ???

6 to 8 Years ???

Wapda to construct Drawat, Naigaj dams
Funds to be released within next few days

Reviewing his recent decision of handing over Drawat and Naigaj dam projects to Sindh government, President Asif Ali Zardari has given Wapda go-ahead for the construction of both the mega water-storage projects, Wapda officials told The News on Wednesday.

The Wapda, however, persuaded President Zardari that only it had the capacity and capabilities to build small, medium and large dams in the country and any other agency could ruin these projects due to technical incapability in constructing water reservoirs and dams.

They said that the President was assured that only Wapda could construct both the dams as per international standards in the stipulated time while Wapda officials further assured the President that there would be no further delay in the commencement of Drawat and Naigaj dams in Sindh, and Winder dam in Balochistan.

Wapda officials said that tenders for the Naigaj dam in Dadu district would be invited in a day or two through leading newspapers of the country.

Similarly, the contractor selected for the construction of Drawat dam would be mobilized within next few days and funds would be released to the joint venture construction on priority basis to commence the construction of Drawat dam in the Jamshoro district of Sindh.

Wapda has selected Sinohydro Corporation of China along with a local firm MAJ Construction Company for the construction of concrete-packed rock-filled Drawat dam that would have the storage capacity of 119,546 cusecs of water.

Engineering giant RSW-Canada along with local firm Techno Engineering has been selected by the Wapda for the construction of Winder dam in Balochistan, Wapda officials said.

It is worth mentioning here that the construction of both Drawat and Naigaj dams in Sindh was jeopardized when the provincial government officials managed to get both the projects transferred to it from the Wapda by “misrepresenting the facts” to President Asif Ali Zardari during his last visit to Sindh.

President Zardari was annoyed over reported delay in the commencement of both the projects and ordered Wapda to transfer projects of Drawat dam in Jamshoro-Thatta district and Naigaj dam in Dadu district.

Conceding delay in starting the two projects, Wapda officials said that completion of all the formalities for awarding the contract for the Rs 17 billion Naigaj dam including preparation of feasibility study, pre-qualification and evaluation of the project was inevitable before inviting the tenders.

Drawat Dama Location: District Jamshoro - Thatta

Type: Concrete packed rockfill ---- Capacity: 119546 acres ft
Live storage: 87,264 acres ft. Dead storage: 32, 283 acres ft.

Irrigation potential: 80, 000 acres of land Total life: 100 years
Cost: Rs 3.18 billion

Catchment area: 3151 sq kilometers

Contractor: Sinohydro Corporation China and MAJ (under joint-venture)

Power generation potential: 300 KV

Naigaj Dam Location: District Dadu

Type: Central core earthfill dam Capacity: 0.3 Million Acre Ft. (MAF)

Irrigation potential: 80,000 acres of land
Power generation potential: 4.2 MW
Cost: Rs18 billion

The News
Thursday, May 27, 2010
By M. Waqar Bhatti

Please correct me if i forgot to add any project below.

1)

2)

3)

4)

zaki4punjab.jpg
Zaki,
did you compile these info?coz i remember you sharing one of these table on ***....can you provide with the links to look for the updated info pertaining to all these dams????

one more thing,Is there a single agency which overtakes all these dams after construction???

Zaki,
did you compile these info?coz i remember you sharing one of these table on ***....can you provide with the links to look for the updated info pertaining to all these dams????

one more thing,Is there a single agency which overtakes all these dams after construction???

well i did not pay attention to update these tables afterwards. I know one of the dam listed in these tables has been completed 90% and in this table its showing less. I don't know which one it is - i will have to read that news again

and yes all Hydropower projects are taken care by WAPDA only.

@ ajtr

you know the first table that you quoted from my post it says "Khan Khwar" dam completed 80%. I can remember the news released last week on tv where they said this dam has now become operational. They have installed 2, 35MW~ turbines and 1 additional 4MW plant is installed to generate further electricity if needed.

Thats just an update and i have still not updated any project from the tables i posted before

Last edited:
Govt allocates paltry Rs15bn for proposed Diamer-Bhasha Dam

Project requires $12 billion funding

Friday, June 11, 2010
By Tariq Butt

ISLAMABAD: The government has earmarked a paltry sum of Rs15 billion in the Federal Budget 2010/11 for the proposed Diamer-Bhasha Dam against the required funds of around $12 billion, according to the budget document.

Out of this allocation, the federal government will provide Rs5 billion and the remaining Rs10 billion would be arranged by the Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) through its own resources, including loans and not through the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP).

The allocated Rs15 billion is meant for acquisition of land and to build other infrastructure, including a residential colony before starting the construction of the dam that would produce 4,500 megawatts.

The Diamer-Bhasha Dam would cost around Rs894.257 billion. Out of this, a foreign funding of around Rs313.732 billion would be required.

An official of the Planning Commission told The News that much before the budget announcement, a committee comprising officials of the ministries of Kashmir Affairs, Northern Areas, Water and Power and Planning Commission had finalised Rs40 billion for the acquisition of land for the dam.

However, a senior WAPDA official said that the allocated Rs40 billion would be disbursed in three years among the displaced persons.

The federal government has made the allocation for the proposed Diamer-Bhasha Dam at a time when Pakistan is plagued by severe power outages. Originally, the project was scheduled to start in the concluding quarter of the last year.

Pakistan is expecting $5 billion from the Asian Development Bank (ADB). The people of Northern Areas have expressed some reservations over the demarcation of the site of the project and said that the land over which the proposed powerhouse would be installed is located in the Northern Areas, but the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa claimed that the powerhouse has been proposed in its jurisdiction.

The dam will be built on River Indus, around 300km upstream of Tarbela Dam and around 40km downstream of Chilas Town. Having a height of 272 metres, it would be the highest roller compacted concrete dam in the world. The dam would have 8.1MAF gross and 6.4MAF live water storage capacity.

The dam would not only provide a lifeline to the Tarbela Dam by increasing its water storage capacity for minimum 40-45 years, but also generate energy through installed capacity of 4,500MW. It would also help reduce dependence on thermal power.

Micro Seismic Monitoring System has been installed to monitor seismic activities in the project area, while meteorological station is being established at the site.

Officials said that there was significant escalation of land acquisition rates by the Diamer Chilas district administration from the original estimates incorporated in 2008 PC-1.

There is a staggering increase in the value of the property by over 130 per cent in one year. The funds required for the land acquisition would go up if the compulsory acquisition compensation of 15 per cent over the value assessed by the deputy commissioner is factored in.

The money would be paid as compensation for households, constructed property and trees and for resettlement of the affected persons and development of model villages, he said.

In January 2006, the president had announced construction of five multipurpose storages in the country in the next 10-12 years. The Diamer-Bhasha Dam project was to be undertaken in the first phase.

On November 11, 2008, the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council gave the go-ahead to the project.

Dint pakistan protest the building of this dam ?

Any dam you build in *** we protest , any dam we build in kashmir pakistan protests.

It all part of the game.

But Kashmir belong to Kashmiris, so they should decide about the waters and all things, certainly not India, Pakistan can, because it is a Muslim territory and according to rules of Partition must come to Pakistan.

Please correct me if i forgot to add any project below.

1)

2)

zaki2ajk.jpg

3)

zaki3gilgitbaltistan.jpg

4)

zaki4punjab.jpg

Thanks alot for this useful post.

Do you have any info about Skardu-Katzara Dam? Its massive Dam with 15000 MW power generation ability.

Thanks alot for this useful post.

Do you have any info about Skardu-Katzara Dam? Its massive Dam with 15000 MW power generation ability.

frankly speaking i believe Skardu-Katzara dam is going to be the second most controversial project after Kalabagh Dam in the first 100 years of Pakistan's history and i don't see it happening for the next 20 or 30 years at least.

You see WAPDA is currently busy in 32 smaller dams project + diamer bhasha dam. Once all these dams are completed they will focus other larger dams like Dasu, Bunji and Yulbu etc and all these projects requires at least 20 years to be completed.

This Skardu dam is going to be one of the tallest dam on earth and if incase one small disaster takes place. It has the potential to destroy not only 1-2 city but perhaps the whole of the provinces or even half of the country in my opinion. This dam although generating a lot of electricity to fullfill our future demands at a very cheap prices but is highly risky if ever decided to go ahead.

I would say WAPDA is doing a right job by constructing smaller dams first. Once they are done with that, our water storage system will gradually improve and then we must move forward for bigger dams. This Skardu dam should only be concentrated after all the current and future projects on pipeline are completed so this way we will have enough space to store water to prevent the damage if they go for Skardu dam afterwards

I hope you got what i mean

Back
Top Bottom