What's new

Dalai Lama to Myanmar, Sri Lanka Buddhists: Stop violence against Muslims

Reashot Xigwin

Reaction score
By Tim Hume, CNN
July 7, 2014 -- Updated 1226 GMT (2026 HKT)
140707013817-dalai-lama-79th-birthday-story-top.jpg

Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama teaches the Buddhist faithful near Leh, India, on his 79th birthday.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has condemned violence by Buddhists
  • Anti-Muslim communal violence has risen in Myanmar and Sri Lanka in recent years
  • In both Buddhist majority countries, the attacks have been linked to extremist monks
  • The Dalai Lama has previously decried religious violence perpetrated by Buddhists

(CNN) -- Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has made a renewed call for Buddhists in Myanmar and Sri Lanka to cease violence towards the countries' Muslim minorities, in an address delivered on his 79th birthday.

Speaking before tens of thousands of Buddhists, including Hollywood actor Richard Gere, the exiled Buddhist leader implored the faithful in the majority-Buddhist countries to refrain from such attacks.

"I urge the Buddhists in these countries to imagine an image of Buddha before they commit such a crime," he said in the Indian town of Leh.

"Buddha preaches love and compassion. If the Buddha is there, he will protect the Muslims whom the Buddhists are attacking."

Rising Buddhist nationalism in both countries, spearheaded by movements led by extremist monks, has led to communal violence targeting Muslims in recent years.

In Myanmar, religious violence has left more than 200 dead and close to 150,000 homeless -- predominantly members of the Rohingya Muslim minority, since unrest broke out in in the western state of Rakhine in June 2012.

I urge the Buddhists in these countries to imagine an image of Buddha before they commit such a crime
The Dalai Lama on anti-Muslim violence in Myanmar and Sri Lanka
Outbreaks of anti-Muslim violence have also occurred elsewhere in the country. Curfews were introduced in the second-largest city, Mandalay, last week after rioting left two dead and 14 injured.

READ MORE: Curfew imposed after deadly clashes between Buddhists, Muslims in Mandalay

Human rights groups said that extremist monks helped incite last week's violence, and were present in the rioting mobs.

In Sri Lanka last month, four people were killed in nights of religious violence in which Buddhist mobs attacked Muslim neighborhoods around the southwest town of Aluthgama.

Witnesses told CNN the rioting began after a rally organized by the far-right Bodu Bala Sena (Buddhist Power Force) group, at which the group's leader, a monk, gave an inflammatory speech against Muslims.

The Dalai Lama, who has lived in exile since 1959, has previously spoken out about the violence perpetrated by Buddhist nationalists.

In May last year, he made comments at a U.S. university decrying the violence in Myanmar, and he has written to Aung San Suu Kyi, a renowned Burmese pro-democracy campaigner and fellow Nobel Peace Prize winner, calling for a halt to the violence, his staff said.

The Dalai Lama was speaking before the audience in Leh to confer Kalachakra, a process intended to empower tens of thousands of his Buddhist followers to reach enlightenment, his office said.

Dalai Lama to Myanmar, Sri Lanka: End Muslim attacks - CNN.com

dalai lama=tibetan buddhism
myanamar,sri lanka=theravada buddhism
muslim rioters=wahabbis

Theravada is not controlled by dalai lama.

wahabbi instigated troubles . now the world's most peacful community buddhists is also angry on muslims. Everywhere where muslims are ,people get angry with their antics.Muslims even bombed bodh gaya(which is mecca of buddhists) if buddhists attacked mecca ,muslims will call for war and genocide ,unlike buddhists who did not when bodh gaya was bombed by muslim extremists.. Muslims need to reform themselves....Their sufferings are self-made.

@Tshering22 what do you have to say? He is buddhist.

@AugenBlick is buddhist

@kankan326

dalai lama=tibetan buddhism
myanamar,sri lanka=theravada buddhism
muslim rioters=wahabbis

Theravada is not controlled by dalai lama.

wahabbi instigated troubles . now the world's most peacful community buddhists is also angry on muslims. Everywhere where muslims are ,people get angry with their antics.Muslims even bombed bodh gaya(which is mecca of buddhists) if buddhists attacked mecca ,muslims will call for war and genocide ,unlike buddhists who did not when bodh gaya was bombed by muslim extremists.. Muslims need to reform themselves....Their sufferings are self-made.

Seems your mother forget to teach you about empathy, poor you.

Your reality suck. What is it with Indian like Tshering with accepting shit for a reality. What the hell ever happens with making the world a better place?

I will be clear.Closing eyes won't change the facts. Muslims need to reform themselves first. If muslims keep being provocative in host countries ,riots ,ethnic cleansing will happen.

Reform yourselves. The buddhists live in peace with hindus,sikhs and even christians(example is south korea ). But with sunni muslims there are frictions with everyone whether hindu,buddhist,sikh,christian or shia muslim or ahmedi muslims. Think about it. What happened in India,Pakistan,Afghanistan,Central Asia ,indonesia to buddhism at the hands of sunni islam.

Your community needs to change mentality,remove violent verses from Quran and hadiths. or such sad events are inevitable.

@Arya Desa @SarthakGanguly @illusion8
@Jaanbaz

I will be clear.Closing eyes won't change the facts. Muslims need to reform themselves first. If muslims keep being provocative in host countries ,riots ,ethnic cleansing will happen.

Reform yourselves. The buddhists live in peace with hindus,sikhs and even christians(example is south korea ). But with sunni muslims there are frictions with everyone whether hindu,buddhist,sikh,christian or shia muslim or ahmedi muslims. Think about it. What happened in India,Pakistan,Afghanistan,Central Asia ,indonesia to buddhism at the hands of sunni islam.

Your community needs to change mentality,remove violent verses from Quran and hadiths. or such sad events are inevitable.

This is about Myanmar not Islam in general. Go off-topic somewhere else & what's with bringing your friend too afraid to face me alone.

donald_duck___rape_face_by_dantesgrill-d4vaunk.png

This is about Myanmar not Islam in general. Go off-topic somewhere else & what's with bringing your friend too afraid to face me alone.

donald_duck___rape_face_by_dantesgrill-d4vaunk.png

Alone...

illusion8 is secular

Sarthakganguly is a bit of right wing ,but very intellectual.

Jaanbaz is pro-muslim and ahmaddiya muslim. The best dharma debater for islam on this forum . I respect that chap.

Tshering22 is a buddhist and due to experiences he is anti-islamic .

Kankan is a chinese atheist .

I deliberately called from neutral,pro,anti camp. The thread is about mynamar and islamic rohingya . Are sunni muslims not responsible for maximum suicide attacks ? are sunni muslims not part of FSA,al qaeda, ISIS. Are sunni muslims chechens not involved in ethnic cleansing ,genocide and sex slavery of russian,ingush,ukrainian minorities who lived in Naursky district ,grozny from 1991-94 under Dudayev which led to the chechen war from 1994-96? Are sunni muslims in kashmir not involved in mass murder,genocide,mass rapes of shias , kashmiris pandits in kashmir which led to the kashmir proxy war ultimately?have sunni sudanese not tried genocide on christian sudanese ? KLA in kosovo started targeting ethnic serbs which in response led to massacres of muslim albanians in response and the kosovo war. And now the rohingya menace....

Sunnis should stop being provocative and aggressive or else they will be met with full force .

Just a question is Dalai lama revered as leader of all Buddhist communities or just Tibetans???

I think there is something wrong with the average muslim psyche....
Country after Country is becoming hostile to them in some way or the other...
but Britain is Islamophobic :feminist:, so is Netherlands and Bharatis have a history of Riots against muslims ( read Godhra ) :guns:

If a muslim youth is brainwashed by ISIS, it is bharatis fault...
If a british youth is radicalized in ME, its because of NATO occupation ( very conveniently that bastard forgets who gave him a visa and permit to work/study )

but no one will blame the bloody mullahs who actually preach such shit

Khaa gaya Chaand, Nigal gaya sitara

dekho kitna bhookha Mullah hamara

( my mediocre creation :()

Alone...

illusion8 is secular

Sarthakganguly is a bit of right wing ,but very intellectual.

Jaanbaz is pro-muslim and ahmaddiya muslim. The best dharma debater for islam on this forum . I respect that chap.

Tshering22 is a buddhist and due to experiences he is anti-islamic .

Kankan is a chinese atheist .

I deliberately called from neutral,pro,anti camp. The thread is about mynamar and islamic rohingya . Are sunni muslims not responsible for maximum suicide attacks ? are sunni muslims not part of FSA,al qaeda, ISIS. Are sunni muslims chechens not involved in ethnic cleansing ,genocide and sex slavery of russian,ingush,ukrainian minorities who lived in Naursky district ,grozny from 1991-94 under Dudayev which led to the chechen war from 1994-96? Are sunni muslims in kashmir not involved in mass murder,genocide,mass rapes of shias , kashmiris pandits in kashmir which led to the kashmir proxy war ultimately?have sunni sudanese not tried genocide on christian sudanese ? KLA in kosovo started targeting ethnic serbs which in response led to massacres of muslim albanians in response and the kosovo war. And now the rohingya menace....

Sunnis should stop being provocative and aggressive or else they will be met with full force .

Now I know why you got -4 on your account :p:. You don't even understand english.

Sri lanka is competent country with a sound legal framework. The police have made a number of arrest in connection to the incidences that took place, including Muslims, monks and others. Those people are currently indicated on their respective charges waiting hearing before the court.

The government has also announced a 200 Million Rs ex Gratia compensatory package, to mitigate the financial costs caused due to the disturbances.

violent verses from Quran and hadiths.

The Holy Quran does not condone murder of innocent people. You have zero knowledge of Islam. Before you quote any non sense from Daniel Pipes or Pam Geller or similar people let me spank you and tell you the reality.

[2:190] You may fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you, but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.
[2:191] You may kill those who wage war against you, and you may evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder. Do not fight them at the Sacred Masjid, unless they attack you therein. If they attack you, you may kill them. This is the just retribution for those disbelievers.
[2:192] If they refrain, then GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.
[2:193] You may also fight them to eliminate oppression, and to worship GOD freely. If they refrain, you shall not aggress; aggression is permitted only against the aggressors.

Good statement from the Dalai Lama. I saw his interview with Michael Palin and he comes across very intelligent, kind and in touch with the people.

Back
Top Bottom