What's new

CRPF wants used US vehicles from Iraq, Afghanistan to combat maoists

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) wants the Centre to purchase used mine resistant and ambush protected vehicles (MRAPs) from the US, which has deployed them in Afghanistan and Iraq.

A message has been delivered to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), highlighting that the ever-growing sophistication in combat tactics of Maoists calls for urgent modernisation of the forces.

The CRPF has recommended to the home ministry that purchasing these used MRAPs will be far less expensive than making new purchases.

"At present, the CRPF is facing attacks using IEDs, which are very basic in nature and generally found in jungle areas. Maoists are likely to come up with more technologically sophisticated IEDs in near future. Maoists may use these IEDs once they shift their movement to urban areas," a CRPF note sent to the home ministry stated.

"The US forces are withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan. These MRAPs are also being withdrawn and will be available in spare in the US," the CRPF note said.

The CRPF has urged the government to provide the force with equipment that can counter the IED threat.

Other than the MRAPs, the CRPF has also listed equipment and technology that are needed to counter the high threat posed by IEDs. Explosive detectors or field labs that will facilitate easy discovery of IEDs will be effective in eliminating the menace.

There have been nearly 450 deaths in the force due to IED explosions and dying in ambushes laid by the Maoists has accounted for more than 50 per cent of the killings in the force.

Sources said that over the last few years, the rebels have switched to planting explosives rather than engaging in direct combat with the forces. "The strategy ensures that there is mass casualty and the risk of casualty on their side is much less," a CRPF officer said.

Till now, according to sources, they have been making IEDs which are of a localised nature, but with their expertise increasing the rebels have become experts at it and have the potential to put together a remotecontrolled bomb that can cause much more damage.

In the wake of this threat, the CRPF has written to the home ministry stating that the force needs a "futuristic approach."

"We should be ready to face the emerging challenges successfully," the CRPF note said.

The CRPF is also of the view that there is a need to develop forensic and biometric capabilities that can be used in field areas where different IEDs, explosive and remnants can be collected and scrutinised.

It is also recommended that the "bomb library" on the lines of one which is created in the US be started in India to analyse different kinds of explosives.

Read more at: CRPF wants used US vehicles from Iraq, Afghanistan to combat maoists : India, News - India Today

50% deaths that's too high, used cougar H/HE with CROWS II system could do wonder to CRPF's capabilites and reduce casualities.

So India is happy buying USA Junk?

Where are those two face hypocrites that troll PDF?

What happened to Make in India?

I guess India will request the USA to knock these vehicles down, then ask them to assemble in India with ToT, and wallah, you have CRPF using indigenously built vehicles protecting CPRF, with an article published in 'The Hindu' soon enough.

I guess India will request the USA to knock these vehicles down, then ask them to assemble in India with ToT, and wallah, you have CRPF using indigenously built vehicles protecting CPRF, with an article published in 'The Hindu' soon enough.
CRPF budget is not like army's one. It's a police force.

I am planning for a second hand lenovo tab... don't blame me for not going for make in india, my budget can't afford...

first learn to differentiate between police and army .....................being a so called TTA

2nd stop trying to be jealous of make in india just because you are incompetent to make MRAP......btw Make in india is domestic campaign dragging it shows your insecurity

3rd CRPF have low budget they cannot go for high expensive thing

Good Move India !!, We should buy all the junk from Afghanistan, from Humvee to mine protected vehicle to transport lorries etc. Its better to have then in India then they goes to Taliban and then to Pakistan.

A sensible decision if taken.

A sensible decision if taken.

Until the army is called to crush maoists, CRPF will sadly keep bleeding and many young men will die.

Today Maoist movement is no longer a 'communist' movement. It has become a downright terrorist plot with the highest bidding mischief mongering entity getting to use them as mercs against Indian security forces. This is evident from the number of self-proclaimed intellectuals and other 'experts' who support these madmen and have been embedded in the media and other mass influencing media.

No amount of importing weapons will change that.

The only solution to crush leftist terrorism is to do what Lankans did: send in the forces and unleash them.

There will be some collateral damage but the long term benefits of a peaceful eastern India will be much more beneficial for India.

Wow, did you even read the article?

1) 50% of the CRPF's casualties come from IED right now so there is a pressing need for MRAPs
2) The CRPF wants these because they are CHEAP, buying brand new from Indian firms would be a lot more expensive. So they can get more for less and reduce casualties substantially.
3) The CRPF will actually be paying for these unlike Pakistan (you're the one who brought Pakistan into this)

As for your "Make in India " jibe the ITBP recently ordered TATA LAMVs:

Tata-Defence-1.jpg

CRPF already use the TATA MPV:

MPV.JPG

Jarkhand police use the Mahindra MPV:

MPV-I%2Bimage.jpg

Of course "make in India " is the mantra but imports have their place in special circumstances.

Those are CRPF not Indian army my friend..

While I sympathize with the Naxal's plight, their movement has been hijacked by Maoists and there seems to be active support from external sources. I say its time to tie the noose around their neck tightly. Surround their bastions separately, then close in.

Back
Top Bottom