What's new

CPEC And Its Benefits To Gilgit Baltistan

An excellent effort @WAJsal .
Thanks for keeping it close to reality and focusing more on the potential of the region of Gilgit Baltistan. What is an important point to remember here is that CPEC is not just that road network. It covers job, industrial zones and MOST importantly power generation projects. Consider this, we have survived 12 hour load shedding, we are doing better in 5-6 hour load shedding, deal with that and a ensure 24/7 electricity supply and the industry and economy is bound to do much better. That alone will have HUGE implications.

Thank you every one for the kind words, i hope it was informative.
Excellent article! Wish I can get a good translator and post it on Chinese media.
Thank you. Is that even possible? That would mean a lot, really.
with all other benefits ... the thing which most of the people does not count about the region is its potential to become trading hub for Pakistan in long run .... its will surely attract businessmen from allover Pakistan particularly form KARACHI ... Sust Dry Port will be the next business hub ....
Good points, my friend HRK. Actually it was an idea given by my father, he wanted me to write something on CPEC's benefits to GB, focusing mainly on social impact on people and how it could transform their lives. I haven't touched the heavy investments on other sectors.
Sust Dry port will surely be a key hub for this project. These projects will create a lot of jobs.
And it seems so close to China as well, since it's right across the border. But it's actually thousands of kilometers away from my hometown HK lol.
You can surely plan a visit to Xinjiang, my father has told us about his visits to those parts many times. I have heard Urumqi is a beautiful place and its model is to be followed in GB and the rest of Xinjiang.
"Referring to his recent visit to China, he said the Chinese leadership wanted progress of Gilgit-Baltistan similar to that in China’s city Urumqi and other regions.

“I was impressed to see the progress of Urumqi in a short span of time. I have no doubt that we can make that kind of progress in our region too.”
Source: http://pamirtimes.net/2016/09/02/army-to-go-to-any-extent-for-pakistans-security-gen-raheel/

(& possibly rail)
Definite rail, what are your thoughts on the project? I read an article on possible cost price and etc, etc...It is expected to be completed by 2022. It will be one heck of a project ones completed.
Wonderful, Very well written and compiled - I've shared the thread on PDF FB page.
@WAJsal
Thank you, share it with some propaganda sites too. Troll them, lol.

What surprises me most is the fact that in a mountainous terrain like GB, literacy rate is as high as 90%, thats an incredible feat achieved by your people. Educated individuals, I believe, are going to be the most valuable asset of GB in future.
With a system like we have here, it quit surprising to see too.
I am sure you would have seen this video, but i know you wouldn't mind watch it a 100 times.
That ending along with the article is dedicated to @Joe Shearer , good luck in life.
@Arsalan , have you seen this video?

the government needs to take care of these ghouls in the Chilas area, the rail line passes through this area ,I would not want to see CPEC get hijacked by these thugs, is the government taking the appropriated steps to deal with these animals?Kudos
Need to follow NAP and improve education in Kohistan. Don't worry things will gradually improve.

Who have i missed? @Zarvan ,@User ,@member.exe ,@Syed.Ali.Haider , and others...

@WAJsal Thanks for the tag and a great write-up that why someone would miss to read.

It's a two way road that we can see for CPEC in the sense of growth for the whole region and neighbors while on other part, indeed GB is playing its rule as well which is beneficial for all and GB itself. CPEC would be more fruitful for GB in form of trade, growth, education and connectivity in short time, with more areas that the same would help more social and trade developments while supporting the tourism in GB with easy access to other parts of Pakistan.

Thanks again for the share.

Good points, my friend HRK. Actually it was an idea given by my father, he wanted me to write something on CPEC's benefits to GB, focusing mainly on social impact on people and how it could transform their lives. I haven't touched the heavy investments on other sectors.
Sust Dry port will surely be a key hub for this project. These projects will create a lot of jobs.

You can surely plan a visit to Xinjiang, my father has told us about his visits to those parts many times. I have heard Urumqi is a beautiful place and its model is to be followed in GB and the rest of Xinjiang.
"Referring to his recent visit to China, he said the Chinese leadership wanted progress of Gilgit-Baltistan similar to that in China’s city Urumqi and other regions.

“I was impressed to see the progress of Urumqi in a short span of time. I have no doubt that we can make that kind of progress in our region too.”
Source: http://pamirtimes.net/2016/09/02/army-to-go-to-any-extent-for-pakistans-security-gen-raheel/

Definite rail, what are your thoughts on the project? I read an article on possible cost price and etc, etc...It is expected to be completed by 2022. It will be one heck of a project ones completed.

I am sure you would have seen this video, but i know you wouldn't mind watch it a 100 times.
That ending along with the article is dedicated to @Joe Shearer , good luck in life.

Need to follow NAP and improve education in Kohistan. Don't worry things will gradually improve.

Who have i missed? @Zarvan ,@User ,@member.exe ,@Syed.Ali.Haider , and others...

Oh yes!
I remember watching it. It's the English speaking teacher who takes me by surprise ...each time. Lol
It feels good to see these ppl who enjoy the hardship they face, they have learnt to take it in their stride, and to spread positivity around. Could not help smiling as the slides of women laughing and having fun appeared on my mobile screen. :-)
Thanks once again

I read your post with interest.

The two things that you point out are indeed important, and will be steps forward for GB undoubtedly: tourism and local agricultural exports. The main foundation for both of these to improve economic activity in GB is the improved infrastructure with a good highway and hotel facilities. The next step would be to ensure all-season capability with excellent snow and landslide removal equipment stationed at periodic intervals where needed, as well as adequate salting in the winter months (with proper culverts and retention ponds to avoid salt runoff into the Indus).

If good all-season access through the region is ensured, both tourism and agricultural exports will get a much-needed boost.

Yup!!
I have seen this one. :) It had food and GB both in it, my fav topics :P

Great post! being a frequent visitor to GB until 5 years ago, I have good knowledge of the lack of infrastructure there and with CPEC becoming a reality, I knew GB will become a tourist hotspot especially for those who are after some unworldly experience (it won't affect tourisms to Bali and Thailand though :p:).... since I have been to Italy, Austria and Switzerland so I have seen most of the Alps and its scenic beauty and I can safely and humbly say GB has more to offer...GB is like addiction for a tourist and I met a lot of returning and dedicated from the west especially Germany who have been visiting Northern areas of Pakistan continuously for years despite the lack of infrastructure and security situation. As much as I wish the tourism to increase and economy to improve in this beautiful part of the world, I'm a bit awed at the prospects of the tourist induced problems like pollution and cultural challenge. But through careful planning and implementation these can be taken care of and I'm hopeful that people of GB are ready to cope those problems and turn those into opportunities and potential for themselves.

@WAJsal

I won't comment on economic development of GB and Pakistan overall because of CPEC, that is bound to happen, Balochistan, Northern Areas and GB have lots of untapped resources, once infrastructure improves, there is no end to exploration of these resources and development of these regions, the jobs and industries will come automatically. CPEC is the start to a journey full of economic development, self-reliance and peace. People think it’s just 46 billion dollars, but they fail to anticipate what follows these 46 billion dollars. It’s a start to finding our hidden treasures, just little patience and steadfastness and prosperity is waiting for Pakistanis including Balti people. INSHALLAH.

However, the area that has been ignored by up til now in discussion and even you ignored it in your write up is how easy access to Northern Areas and stable Balochistan can improve overall sports caliber in Pakistan. I believe we will find some of the finest athletes and footballers in that region; we can build our football, basketball, athletic and swimming teams. Any sports that involve stamina and technique you will find the people of these regions the best suited for that sport.

I am talking based on my own personal experience. If the Government of Pakistan sets its priorities right this 46 billion dollar investment is actually something that will help find you the hidden treasures and resources of Pakistan, and Pakistanis of these regions are one of those hidden resources.

Does anyone know what impact can CPEC have on Loading and Unloading service companies? How does it benefit them? Are there any articles on this?

CPEC to enhance Gilgit Baltistan's export of dry apricot to Russia
Source : Business Recorder Date : 03-03-2017 By : Parvez Jabri

CPEC to enhance Gilgit Baltistan's export of dry apricot to Russia

Through its infrastructure connectivity, and promotion of local industry, the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is set to enhance exports from Gilgit Baltistan (GB) to Russia. As the largest importer of dry apricots in the world, Russia will increase its imports of dry apricots from GB among other things. This export enhancement through CPEC will fetch better prices to the producers of dry apricots and impact the standard of living at the grassroots of Pakistan's northern areas.

GILGIT: The share of Gilgit-Baltistan in apricot production is 114,286 tons per annum and its export to Russia, the world's largest importer of dry apricot, could be increased through CPEC connectivity, Director Agriculture Department GB, Fazlur Rehman said on Thursday.

One of the most precious gifts, the apricot in the Northern Areas, which was the major fruit among the variety of fruits in Gilgit Baltistan making it the largest apricot producing land in Pakistan.

He said it was estimated that there were a total of 2,971,935 apricot trees in GB, the most common fruit grown with an average 15 trees per household.

He said apricot had a long and interesting history and it was generally believed that the origin of apricot was China and Central Asia, where the fruit had been cultivated for food as well as for its therapeutic properties for more than 4,000 years.

Fazlur Rehman continued that the apricot tree had also been grown in neighbouring India and Tibet since times immemorial.

According to ancient records, the Hunzas, who inhabited the Himalayan Mountains in the northern regions of present-day Pakistan and were acknowledged for their vigor and long life span, cultivated and treasured apricot for its aptitude to foster health for more than 1500 years.

In Gilgit Baltistan, he said, apricots along with other deciduous fruits were primarily produced as cash crop where majority of families grew apricot.

The practice of planting seeds from the best trees over an extended period of time has resulted in an incredible amount of variation.

He said fruits had mainly been produced to meet annual family needs for dry fruit particularly during severe winter adding among all respondents 76% ranked apricot as their most preferred fruit tree.

Because apricot would meet most of their subsistence needs.

Dried apricot and kernels are main dry fruits for winter.

Most fuel wood is obtained from apricot trees.

Oil from kernels was obtained for various domestic uses while cracked kernel shells were also used as fuel, he added.

Fazal further said that 30% of the rural households would annually earn between Rs 6000 to Rs 8000 from apricot and its by-product in GB.

A farmer would often have as few as two or three trees of the same cultivar mixed with other.

Apricot varieties of Baltistan are Halmand, Wahphochuli, Lonakpochuli, Sherakarpochuli Shakhanda, Margulam, Karpochuli, Ambah, Staachuli, Khochuli, Brochuli. Names of some local cultivars of Gilgit region are Dugli, Neeli, Bedeiri, Chalpachu, Loli, Frugui, Khormagui, Alishah Kakas etc.

In Hunza, one of the larger fruited cultivars had outstanding quality for both fresh as well as dry use, with high soluble solids, pronounced aroma, and rich flavor.

"Alishah Kakas" was another favorite in Hunza because of its exceptionally high soluble solids, fine quality and firm texture making it suitable for shipping fresh and excellent for drying.

In Ghizer another cultivar "dugli" is best as it has two edible kernels inside the fruit and the fruit has larger size.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom