What's new

Court arrests Turkey’s ex-army chief on coup charges

forummurat

Reaction score
Turkey’s ex-army chief referred to court for arrest

bg.jpg

A former chief of Turkey's powerful armed forces was referred to court for arrest after he testified in court on Thursday as a suspect in an investigation of an alleged Internet campaign to discredit Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's Justice and Development Party (AK Party).
General İlker Başbuğ, who retired in 2010, is the highest-ranking officer to be caught up in a widening probe into the so-called Ergenekon network, an ultra-nationalist group accused by prosecutors of conspiring to topple the government.

Looking relaxed in a dark suit, he arrived at an İstanbul court beside the Bosphorus strait to answer questions from prosecutors in a 7.5-hour closed session.

İstanbul Specially Authorized Prosecutor Cihan Kansız and Deputy İstanbul Chief Prosecutor Fikret Seçen interrogated the former military chief.

The investigation into the propaganda websites began in 2010 based on evidence found in the home of retired Col. Hasan Ataman Yıldırım, another suspect in the website case. Later, an anonymous tipster from inside the military sent an email to inform the public and prosecutors that the General Staff had established 42 websites for the sole purpose of disseminating propaganda about the government and religious communities.

It was the first time a former chief of the armed forces has testified as a suspect in a criminal case in a civilian court.

Several hundred defendants, including retired senior officers, lawyers, academics and journalists, have been put on trial in cases relating to the investigation.

Nicknamed pashas, a title dating back to Ottoman times, Turkey's once untouchable generals have seen their influence decline as Ankara pushes reforms aimed at strengthening civilian rule and winning Turkey's accession to the European Union.

Turkey's military, NATO's second-largest army, has long seen itself as the guarantor of the country's secular constitution, and had carried out three coups between 1960 and 1980 and pressured another government from power in 1997.

The current investigation, carried out by state prosecutors, centers on allegations Turkey's military set up websites to spread anti-government propaganda to destabilize Turkey.

The court case is open and defendants are already on trial, but there was no hearing on Thursday. Başbuğ remains a suspect only and has not been charged.

Chief of general staff from 2008 to 2010, he has in the past said reports of military plots to undermine the government were part of a smear campaign to divide the armed forces and pledged he would never tolerate coup activities.

The "Internet Memorandum" case is just one of many strands of investigations into Ergenekon that began five years ago.

Retired General Hilmi Özkök, also a former chief of the general staff, testified in the Ergenekon case in 2009 but only as a witness, not a suspect.

Turkey's Ex-Military Chief General Ilker Basbug is a Crypto-Jew.

ilkerbasbug3.jpg

İlker Başbuğ, Ex-Military Chief General of Turkey's Army.
He was recently making Jewish prayers in Jerusalem..

ilkerbasug4.jpg

He is a civilian and he can travel whereever he wants. However his allegians to turkey must be counterproven before you start swearing at him. until then refrain from talking that way about him.

He worship in wailing wall...!!! I can guess your mind structure than your avatar picture.. You can not any criticism about soldiers.. Guilty or innocent.. Not important for nationalist racists..!!!

The first picture by Forummurat doesn't look like tourism, it pretty much looks like he is praying. If there is suficcient evidence for criminal doings, he should be judged like all other people. Soldiers are not immune for courts...

I have had people tell me this as well, I've had my suspcions of Basbug since day one. He may be a Doenmeh Jew. Why is it unreasonable to think this strongest supporter of Turkish bilateral military ties is possibly a hidden Yehudi? Why? Because of their sensitives and out of support for him. People also put forward the most ridiculous counter arguments against the pictures of him praying at his holy site the Whaling Wall in Jerusalem, where he practices his religious devotion. Buyukanit and the other high officials and Supreme Court officials should also be investigated and probed.

I have had people tell me this as well, I've had my suspcions of Basbug since day one. He may be a Doenmeh Jew. Why is it unreasonable to think this stronger support of Turkish bilateral military ties is possibly a hidden Yehudi? Why? Because of their sensitives and out of support for him. People also put forward the most ridiculous counter arguments against the pictures of him praying at his holy site the Whaling Wall in Jerusalem, where he practices his religious devotion. Buyukanit and the other high officials and Supreme Coury officials should also be investigated and probed.

Their time is nearing my friend. Better days are waiting us inshallah...

He worship in wailing wall...!!! I can guess your mind structure than your avatar picture.. You can not any criticism about soldiers.. Guilty or innocent.. Not important for nationalist racists..!!!

Tsk.. tsk.. "Adana Mersin tokatimi yersin, git babana dersini versin" :) either be civil or buzz of. I'm proud of being a Muslim Turk, however I won't cry or throw a tantrum whenever I see muslim dying, i'm pragmatic enough for that or a man taking pictures by the crying wall or whatever.

But you my friend, judge a man who goes on a trip to be a "hidden jew". A picture proves that he went to see the crying wall, heck I am sure many people would be interested in seeing it, and the mosque al-aqsa. Tell me, do you also scream "Blasphemers!!!!" when you see women entering Sultan Ahmet without wearing a scarf or cover their head ?

You don't like my avatar fair enough, you judge me based on my choice of avatar fair enough, but in the end that just tells about your personality.

He probably wanted to install a Turkish administration more pro-Israeli since Erdogan has been highly critical of Israel. He is the strongest supporter of Turkey's military bilateral ties with Israel, I've read some of his statements.

Look at him praying at the whaling wall like any Jew would do. Yet some clowns want to justify this as "travel" yeah when was the last time you've seen a COAS of a predominantly Muslim country go to Jerusalem and pray at the Whaling wall?

If Gazi Enver Pasha was alive today he would have had many of these Generals court martialed and probably put to death.

Todays Generals of Turkiye do not measure up to the great Ottoman Officers Enver Pasha, Jemal Pasha, Fakhri Pasha, Kemal Pasha, and many others.

If Gazi Enver Pasha was alive today he would have had many of these Generals court martialed and probably put to death.

Todays Generals of Turkiye do not measure up to the great Ottoman Officers Enver Pasha, Jemal Pasha, Fakhri Pasha, Kemal Pasha, and many others.

That may be true, however I don't think our generals has had many opportunities to prove themselves, since most of the bloody wars are occuring in muslim countries!

is he being arrested for being a Jew or am i missing something? :what:

Back
Top Bottom