What's new

Chinese ships in disputed waters after Japan's prime minister Shinzo Abe sends offering to Yasukuni

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Chinese coastguard ships have entered waters off disputed islands in the East China Sea, the Japan coastguard says, a day after prime minister Shinzo Abe angered Beijing by sending an offering to a controversial war shrine.

Three Japanese ministers also visited the Yasukuni Shrine in downtown Tokyo on Saturday, the first cabinet ministers to join a pilgrimage by 100 politicians to the spot condemned by China and Korea as a symbol of Japan's wartime aggression.

Three Chinese vessels sailed into territorial waters that extend 12 nautical miles around one of the Japanese-controlled Senkaku islands, which China also claims and calls the Diaoyus, shortly after 10:00am (local time), the Japanese coastguard said.

Relations between Japan and China have been in deep freeze for two years over the ownership of the islands and what Beijing views as Japan's rewriting of history - especially concerning World War II.

Tokyo's Yasukuni Shrine is widely seen as a symbol of Japan's past militarism and visits there by politicians anger China and South Korea, which both suffered under Japanese occupation in the last century and feel Japan has never fully atoned for its actions.

Internal affairs and communications minister Sanae Takaichi, who is a regular visitor to the shrine, visited on Saturday after telling reporters this week she wanted to pay her respects to those who have died in wars.

Domestic media reported that Eriko Yamatani, minister in charge of abduction issues and head of the national public safety commission, also visited Yasukuni on Saturday.

Mr Abe himself sent a potted tree with his name and title prominently displayed, but it was thought unlikely he would visit the shrine after he returns home Saturday from a summit in Italy.

Anger over 'glorification' of war
On Friday, China expressed "serious concern" after Mr Abe's offering while South Korea said it deplored the offering to the shrine, which it called "the symbol of glorification of Japan's colonisation and invasive war".

Mr Abe's visit in December last year infuriated Beijing and Seoul, who say the inclusion of senior war criminals among those honoured by the shrine makes it an insult to victims of atrocities Tokyo committed before and during World War II.

The 145-year-old Shinto shrine is the supposed repository of the souls of some 2.5 million citizens and soldiers who died in World War II and other conflicts.

They include senior figures in the WWII administration, such as General Hideki Tojo, who ordered the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Mr Abe has stayed away from the shrine since the 2013 visit, instead sending offerings on key dates, seeking to tread a fine line between his conservative convictions and the diplomatic imperative to improve ties with China.

His colleagues' shrine visit came just hours after Mr Abe shook hands with Chinese premier Li Keqiang on the sidelines of an Asia-Europe summit in the Italian city of Milan.

The handshake had been seen as the latest sign of a tentative thaw, with Japan pressing for a summit with Chinese president Xi Jinping next month.

Chinese ships in disputed waters after Japan's prime minister Shinzo Abe sends offering to Yasukuni war shrine - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

JCGSuperPumars.jpg

I told you!

Prefer wait until Japan next PM.

And USA out of East Asia affair.

They pledge to reduce tensions, they escalate tension, again with the reduction pledges and on with more escalation. A lovers quarrel if I ever saw one. For thousands of years these two grand nations have been friendly to one another. Then Japan when all crazy for a few years but that too subsided until 2008. Kiss and make up already!!! You two (China and Japan) were made for each other.

Stupid moves by both sides though. Japan knows China is sensitive to any offerings being made to war shrines, China knows Japan isn't going to take kindly to foreign military or police assets in its waters.

They pledge to reduce tensions, they escalate tension, again with the reduction pledges and on with more escalation. A lovers quarrel if I ever saw one. For thousands of years these two grand nations have been friendly to one another. Then Japan when all crazy for a few years but that too subsided until 2008. Kiss and make up already!!! You two (China and Japan) were made for each other.

Stupid moves by both sides though. Japan knows China is sensitive to any offerings being made to war shrines, China knows Japan isn't going to take kindly to foreign military or police assets in its waters.

He he he, typical brotherly rivalry. Abe sent a potted tree to Yasukuni, and China sends 3 coast guard ships into the periphery of our waters the next day.

Its a media circus, if ever there was one !

He he he, typical brotherly rivalry. Abe sent a potted tree to Yasukuni, and China sends 3 coast guard ships into the periphery of our waters the next day.

Its a media circus, if ever there was one !

A potted Tree?!? And China gets worked into a frenzy. I understand war criminals are being honored as well and that should, and rightfully so, anger China given what those people did to China and its people. But what of the largely non-criminally inclined, indicted or charged population of nearly 2.5 million that are being honored. I don't think Japan shouldn't honor its war dead, maybe just add a disclaimer to its offering saying that all are being honored except those that anger China.

lool And they are both back to square one again as i said earlier on another thread on here.:lol:
Thats why i love Asia politics. western Europe is too peaceful/boring.:D Keep it up...its interesting.:cheesy::cheers:

A potted Tree?!? And China gets worked into a frenzy. I understand war criminals are being honored as well and that should, and rightfully so, anger China given what those people did to China and its people. But what of the largely non-criminally inclined, indicted or charged population of nearly 2.5 million that are being honored. I don't think Japan shouldn't honor its war dead, maybe just add a disclaimer to its offering saying that all are being honored except those that anger China.

Yes, a potted tree. And Xinhua news is polluting the web with statements that paints the nation as nefarious. First and foremost, I would like to say that Yasukuni Shrine is our version of America's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Yasukuni was established and built by the Meiji Emperor to commemorate the soldiers of Japan that fought and died for the nation, and gave the ultimate sacrifice. Soldiers who died and were not able to return to the bosom of their mothers and fathers are forever enshrined here. The soldiers who died in the 1st Sino Japanese War, the Russo Japanese War, the Russo-Japanese Border Conflict of '39, the 2nd Sino Japanese War and then the Great Pacific War. Millions are remembered in this shrine.
People that visit and honor the spirits of those brave men who died to protect their families, homes, nation see Yasukuni Shrine as hallowed ground.

I told you!

LOOL U.S will never get outta Asian affairs. Why should it? Afterall, i dont see any Asian country in which the U.S has a military presence/influence asking the U.S to leave, in fact its the opposite, see Philippines now begging the U.S to return after kicking them out, singapore hosting U.S ships, Malaysia considering allowing U.S patrol aircrafts in its air space, Vietnam considering getting closer to the U.S etc...etc...

Moreover, You should be thankful to the U.S instead of wishing for them to depart East Asia, since without the U.S your country(well if its even a country, since it isn't recognized by the majority of countries in the world) will be just another province of China longgg ago. So be greatful to the U.S instead of wishing they leave.:D

lool And they are both back to square one again as i said earlier on another thread on here.:lol:
Thats why i love Asia politics. western Europe is too peaceful/boring.:D Keep it up...its interesting.:cheesy::cheers:

Abe did not visit the shrine. He merely sent a potted tree.

The Chinese Media , it appears, are overly scrutinizing the situation. There are rank and file members in CPC that do not want blossoming relations with China and Japan. These are the ultra-right wingers. This foolish policy of theirs will only antagonize Japan, and will only entrench Japan to America's side.

LOOL U.S will never get outta Asian affairs. Why should it? Afterall, i dont see any Asian country in which the U.S has a military presence/influence asking the U.S to leave, in fact its the opposite, see Philippines now begging the U.S to return after kicking them out, singapore hosting U.S ships, Malaysia considering allowing U.S patrol aircrafts in its air space, Vietnam considering getting closer to the U.S etc...etc...

Moreover, You should be thankful to the U.S instead of wishing for them to depart East Asia, since without the U.S your country(well if its even a country, since it isn't recognized by the majority of countries in the world) will be just another province of China longgg ago. So be greatful to the U.S instead of wishing they leave.:D

Correction. If it was not the United States, Japan would have never given Taiwan independence. Its not like the Taiwanese openly fought a war of revolution against Imperial Japan. We gave them freedom on an open platter. After the war, of course.

Taiwan was our special colony, an Imperial Crown Colony. And Taiwanese openly fought for Imperial Army ; contributing over 100,000 Taiwanese boys as conscripts into the Imperial Navy and Imperial Army. A Loyal Colony, if ever there was one.

Yes, a potted tree. And Xinhua news is polluting the web with statements that paints the nation as nefarious. First and foremost, I would like to say that Yasukuni Shrine is our version of America's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Yasukuni was established and built by the Meiji Emperor to commemorate the soldiers of Japan that fought and died for the nation, and gave the ultimate sacrifice. Soldiers who died and were not able to return to the bosom of their mothers and fathers are forever enshrined here. The soldiers who died in the 1st Sino Japanese War, the Russo Japanese War, the Russo-Japanese Border Conflict of '39, the 2nd Sino Japanese War and then the Great Pacific War. Millions are remembered in this shrine.
People that visit and honor the spirits of those brave men who died to protect their families, homes, nation see Yasukuni Shrine as hallowed ground.

Yep, the US tomb of the unknown soldier honors all US personal past, present and future, even those that committed horrible actions. I respect Japan's reverence for its fallen, be they honorable or detestable, and I also respect China's desire to be angry. To each their own reaction. But I would never ask or expect Japan to forgo its honoring and I hope China can one day forget and forgive. Always forward, never looking back.

I told you!

I , too, was optimistic about our two sides ability to get through this impasse of bilateral relations. I hope that my faith is proven right. It would be such a shame to see all the hard work being thrown away.

Abe did not visit the shrine. He merely sent a potted tree.

The Chinese Media , it appears, are overly scrutinizing the situation. There are rank and file members in CPC that do not want blossoming relations with China and Japan. These are the ultra-right wingers. This foolish policy of theirs will only antagonize Japan, and will only entrench Japan to America's side.

Correction. If it was not the United States, Japan would have never given Taiwan independence. Its not like the Taiwanese openly fought a war of revolution against Imperial Japan. We gave them freedom on an open platter. After the war, of course.

Taiwan was our special colony, an Imperial Crown Colony. And Taiwanese openly fought for Imperial Army ; contributing over 100,000 Taiwanese boys as conscripts into the Imperial Navy and Imperial Army. A Loyal Colony, if ever there was one.

You are right indeed, but i was talking about after world war II, thats why i said had it not been for the U.S then the communists will have long invaded/took back taiwan. so they should be grateful to the U.S.

As for Japan, of course i completely agree with you, Japan will have never given Taiwan independence(much less Korea) had it not been for the fact that it lost the second world war. Taiwan was indeed a loyal colony of imperial Japan , a loyal servant indeed.lool this is in stark contrast to South Korea(and even philippines, when Japan invaded and ruled for few years) who at least fought and resisted Japan influence/rule over them. Taiwan has always been a loyal servant indeed.:D

You are right indeed, but i was talking about after world war II, thats why i said had it not been for the U.S then the communists will have long invaded/took back taiwan. so they should be grateful to the U.S.

As for Japan, of course i completely agree with you, Japan will have never given Taiwan independence(much less Korea) had it not been for the fact that it lost the second world war. Taiwan was indeed a loyal colony of imperial Japan , a loyal servant indeed.lool this is in stark contrast to South Korea(and even philippines, when Japan invaded and ruled for few years) who at least fought and resisted Japan influence/rule over them. Taiwan has always been a loyal servant indeed.:D

;)

Taiwanese who fought in the Imperial Army,

%E8%87%BA%E7%B1%8D%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E5%85%B5%E5%87%BA%E5%BE%81%E5%89%8D_Drafted_Taiwanese_solider_during_World_War_II.jpg

Volunteers into the Imperial Army,

%E8%87%BA%E7%B1%8D%E5%AD%B8%E7%94%9F%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E5%85%B5%E5%87%BA%E5%BE%81%E5%89%8D_Taiwanese_Students_drafted_as_soliders_during_World_War_II.jpg

Japan is a crappy island nation with no natural resources and imports about 60 percent of its food each year. You are one naval blockade away from a famine. We also got your entire country covered by missiles.

212943_132f851db8ca0272baf8ea2d53203c4e.jpg

212944_75ef6a5f7ca1337476aabf7e0329d259.png

Back
Top Bottom