What's new

Chinese built and launched Nigerian satellite lost in Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess satellites are bound to fail occasionally - what matters is the failure rate of course.

However, considering this was Nigeria's first satellite (not sure now Nigerian it is - considering that most indicators point to it being mostly Chinese built), its a kind of debacle.

Apparently they couldn't even get the transmission frequency right.

Chinese launched Nigeria satellite lost in Space
BBC NEWS | Africa | Nigerian satellite fails in space
THISDAY ONLINE / Nigeria news / African views on global news

go thru the comments by Nigerian on Chinese product quality... :lol:

Come on man, don't celebrate the failure of others.

I feel sorry for the nigerians that their money is wasted, but one has to understand that failures happen in satellite launches. NASA itself has had so many failures.

Maybe we can learn something from this, and avoid making the same mistake ourselves.

nope the satelite is insured so they will get the money back. Satellite fail occasionally.

no strange some of the indians got very excited over this,that's how you are but China's aerospace doesn't often fail.

no strange some of the indians got very excited over this,that's how you are but China's aerospace doesn't often fail.

Yeah and Chinese are all super-mature sages.

Cut the Indians are like this - Indians are like that crap please.

There's enough of it with Munshi around already.

What beats me is, when China can do a much more complicated space walking, how can they sc**w up a much more basic satellite launch and especially if you are doing it on a commercial basis.

Yeah and Chinese are all super-mature sages.

Cut the Indians are like this - Indians are like that crap please.

There's enough of it with Munshi around already.

well I'm not gonna waste time over this kind of topic.

pity the satellite is missing,I hope there'll be a compensatory program if it's gone for good.

But this is not an isolated incident even in pakistan there is issue going about the rail locomotives supplied even in malaysia too
PR plan to buy China engines under scrutiny

these things need to be taken seriously as the satellite got waste because it was not able to generate power due to faulty solar panels (I think this could be the only reason because satellites generate power through these panels only). These incidents tarnish the image.

So does any other country including USA, Russia and France.

True, even every space agency. The point here is, China has won the Nigerian satellite contract by quoting a low bid. To make the satellite launch cheap they had to cut corners, and hence this result.

Moreover, when you launch other countries satellites, you have to be extra careful, otherwise it will put their program in a bad light, which is what happened now.

This is what consultant of NIGCOMSAT said when contract was signed

The African country started the NIGCOMSAT-1 programme in November 2003, and opened the project to international bidders, Rufai said.

China landed the contract last December by beating 21 companies from countries including the United States, France, Britain, Italy and Israel, Wang said.

This is largely because the China Great Wall Industry Corp had a "superlative proposal," with its technical capability and expertise well meeting Nigeria's stringent performance requirements, said George Nawar, a manager of Telesat Canada " NIGCOMSAT-1 programme's technical consultant.

Link

What beats me is, when China can do a much more complicated space walking, how can they sc**w up a much more basic satellite launch and especially if you are doing it on a commercial basis.

Well the launch didn't fail...the satellite developed problems, which technically means that the Nigerian screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom