What's new

Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) News & Discussions

Indeed ... exactly my idea ! :tup:

But why do You think that this missile is not related to the "PL-XX anti-AWACS missile shown here" ??

Indeed ... exactly my idea ! :tup:

But why do You think that this missile is not related to the "PL-XX anti-AWACS missile shown here" ??

I didn't make my post clear, my apologies.

I do think that this is a PL-XX "anti-AWACS" missile; I'm just pointing out that this missile is distinct from the PL-15, which is likely a derivative of the PL-12 but still a new development nonetheless.

Some comparison of the new missile
7mgpiE7.jpg
MclRoVS.jpg
XN5tOn7.jpg

infra-red search and track (IRST) system; from 1st generation on J-11B to 2nd generation on J-10B,C, J-15,J-16
J-15,J-16与J-10B/C上的红外线搜索跟踪仪(IRST)对比。可以看出它们虽有细微差别但总体来说都属于第二代国产IRST,其搜索距离灵敏度抗干扰能力均比Su-27上OLS-27有较大提高。而J-11B上的IRST则无保护罩为第一代国产IRST,相当于OLS-27的山寨版因此已经落后。(来源:jetfight2000)

BFl5EoJ.jpg
xmwBzJv.jpg
09z4TTn.jpg

不需要的时候光电头旋转180度藏到里面,需要的时候再转出来在左右90度的范围内进行扫描和跟踪。
QEkIteN.jpg
1ronXEw.jpg

J-11B 1st generation IRST
BS1N8n5.jpg
m8lToDg.jpg

Just another detail I noticed in regard to this secret missile:

The pylon to which this missile is adapted is - or at least looks very much like - an AKU-58 launch rail, which is commonly used only for AGMs like the Ch-29, Ch-31, Ch-58 ... but never before with a AAM.

Could this be a hint for its intented role??

Deino

PL-XX size.jpg

Last edited:
Well, IMO (I may be wrong) but J-10 is in AA mode that carrying AAM on external pylon while the POD is shifted to the inner pylon (I think it depends on the role that AC flies and holds the POD). Also, in below pictures, the POD is showing the side inlet thing pointed backwards, displayed with JFT and the same can be noticed on JH-7A (your post # 1346) wing pylon while the POD with J-10B is placed with side inlet thing pointed to forward or may be it is wrongly placed but in your last quoted post #1348, the same side inlet thing is again pointing forward.

Here's another image of this new "store" but this time together with a KG600 ECM-pod ... now I'm again sure that this new pod is bigger.

Deino

JH-7A + strange store vs. KG600.jpg

The pylon to which this missile is adapted is - or at least looks very much like - an APU-58 launch rail, which is commonly used only for AGMs like the Ch-29, Ch-31, Ch-58 ... but never before with a AAM.

Deino

View attachment 354449

Teacher-man,

In order to understand the true role of this new missile we need to see the PLAAF doctorine in the immediate theatre... it is not about superiority or dominance... it is all about Area Denial...

So this one big fella can/will add another layer to the PLAAF/PLAN capability in AC/AD strategy.

If one has to dare an educated guess... the missile is multi-purpose...

Only time will tell which way the wind blows.

Regardless, PLA is becoming more transparent, which is a good thing for all of us. Especially, for you! So you can write good pieces.

Enjoy your evening.

Here's another image of this new "store" but this time together with a KG600 ECM-pod ... now I'm again sure that this new pod is bigger.

Deino

View attachment 354537

Good find Sir as it is prominent being bigger than KG-600, and if I am not wrong (I could be as well), by the size it seems like cannot be installed other than under belly because being more wide and seems heavy than the missiles shown on right and even left side. I mean it is big and huge one or the camera angle may be.

Still, in the same picture, KG600 looks like can be carried by the wing pylon instead of this new Mystery POD.

Your opinion on this one?

The pylon to which this missile is adapted is - or at least looks very much like - an APU-58 launch rail, which is commonly used only for AGMs like the Ch-29, Ch-31, Ch-58 ... but never before with a AAM.

Deino

View attachment 354449

You raise an interesting point, Deino. This missile could be the rumored PL-16 anti-radiation weapon.

Back
Top Bottom