Status
Not open for further replies.

Pulsar

Reaction score
Country
India
China's Discreet Hold on Pakistan's Northern Borderlands

By SELIG S. HARRISON

A quiet geopolitical crisis is unfolding in the Himalayan borderlands of northern Pakistan, where Islamabad is handing over de facto control of the strategic Gilgit-Baltistan region in the northwest corner of disputed Kashmir to China.

The entire Pakistan-controlled western portion of Kashmir stretching from Gilgit in the north to 'Azad (Free) Kashmir' in the south is closed to the world, in contrast to the media access that India permits in the eastern part, where it is combating a Pakistan-backed insurgency. But reports from a variety of foreign intelligence sources, Pakistani journalists and Pakistani human rights workers reveal two important new developments in Gilgit-Baltistan: a simmering rebellion against Pakistani rule and the influx of an estimated 7,000 to 11,000 soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army.

China wants a grip on the region to assure unfettered road and rail access to the Gulf through Pakistan. It takes 16 to 25 days for Chinese oil tankers to reach the Gulf. When high-speed rail and road links through Gilgit and Baltistan are completed, China will be able to transport cargo from Eastern China to the new Chinese-built Pakistani naval bases at Gwadar, Pasni and Ormara, just east of the Gulf, within 48 hours.

Many of the P.L.A. soldiers entering Gilgit-Baltistan are expected to work on the railroad. Some are extending the Karakoram Highway, built to link China’s Sinkiang Province with Pakistan. Others are working on dams, expressways and other projects.

Mystery surrounds the construction of 22 tunnels in secret locations where Pakistanis are barred. Tunnels would be necessary for a projected gas pipeline from Iran to China that would cross the Himalayas through Gilgit. But they could also be used for missile storage sites.

Until recently, the P.L.A. construction crews lived in temporary encampments and went home after completing their assignments. Now they are building big residential enclaves clearly designed for a long-term presence.

What is happening in the region matters to Washington for two reasons. Coupled with its support for the Taliban, Islamabad’s collusion in facilitating China’s access to the Gulf makes clear that Pakistan is not a U.S. “ally.” Equally important, the nascent revolt in the Gilgit-Baltistan region is a reminder that Kashmiri demands for autonomy on both sides of the cease-fire line would have to be addressed in a settlement.

Media attention has exposed the repression of the insurgency in the Indian-ruled Kashmir Valley. But if reporters could get into the Gilgit-Baltistan region and 'Azad' Kashmir, they would find widespread, brutally-suppressed local movements for democratic rights and regional autonomy.

When the British partitioned South Asia in 1947, the maharajah who ruled Kashmir, including Gilgit and Baltistan, acceded to India. This set off intermittent conflict that ended with Indian control of the Kashmir Valley, the establishment of Pakistan-sponsored Free Kashmir in western Kashmir, and Pakistan’s occupation of Gilgit and Baltistan, where Sunni jehadi groups allied with the Pakistan Army have systematically terrorized the local Shiite Muslims.

Gilgit and Baltistan are in effect under military rule. Democratic activists there want a legislature and other institutions without restrictions like the ones imposed on 'Free Kashmir', where the elected legislature controls only 4 out of 56 subjects covered in the state constitution. The rest are under the jurisdiction of a “Kashmir Council” appointed by the president of Pakistan.

Precisely because the Gilgit-Baltistan region is so important to China, the United States, India and Pakistan should work together to make sure that it is not overwhelmed, like Tibet, by the Chinese behemoth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/opinion/27iht-edharrison.html?scp=3&sq=Baltistan&st=cse&_r=0

The speed at which things are moving in Pakistan administered Kashmir where the Chinese have set themselves up permanently, it would be surprising if the area doesn't become another autonomous region of China like TAR, sooner than later. The writing is on the wall. For Pakistan - losing its hold in the Northern Areas to China and for India - a clear threat to the Kashmir Valley.

After some Years Chinese will claim these lands also showing some fake historic evidences :angry:

I wonder why none of my friends from Swat or the blokes from Gilgit that I play football with (here to study) never mention any of this stuff ? :unsure:

And I've got to ask my Financial Management teacher....how the heck did he manage to go all the way to Hunza for his honeymoon last year & never bothered to tell me any of this ! :hitwall:

Damn them....damn them all for hiding from me all this stuff ! :angry:

China cannot declare Gilgit-Baltistan as another autonomous region. Otherwise, It will loose Pakistan & Pakistan will get allied with US completely. To avoid Strait of Malacca Choke-point , and prevent itself from getting encircled by US & its allies, China will not this mistake. Without Pakistan , China is encircled completely .

I wonder why none of my friends from Swat or the blokes from Gilgit that I play football with (here to study) never mention any of this stuff ? :unsure:

And I've got to ask my Financial Management teacher....how the heck did he manage to go all the way to Hunza for his honeymoon last year & never bothered to tell me any of this ! :hitwall:

Same here. My friend from Gilgit. He never mentioned that his hometown is being occupied by China. Another very close friend of mine spend 2 weeks in Astore valley. He also didn't mention any Chinese occupation.

Don't know why these guys hide all this occupation? When NYT and Bharatis know so much about those regions.

Reporter nationality : checked.
Media's origin country : checked.

Thank god its not desi media.

nytimes.... buhahahahaaa...

Last time when you guys started propagating this lie, it was a NYT report which first published this story. Nothing new.

PS: It is the same old report of Slegg Harrison from 2010. Facepalm.

Like, why the devil didn't my friends tell me about the so called 'genocide' of the Kashmiris by the IA, as the Pakistanis contend, is going on in Kashmir??? They instead told me that there were lakhs of tourists enjoying Kashmir bliss. And one of them spent a romantic honeymoon in Gulmarg too, skiing over the snowy slopes with his newly married wife!

Damn them....damn them all for hiding from me all this stuff! :angry: And I thought there was an orgy of violence going on out there! :cheesy:

It is interesting how New York Times got hold of this information in such detail, without Indian news, politicians even mentioning it. I suspect India must have informants, spies in the ***.

NYTimes has become the TOI and the Daily Mail - news creators instead of news reporters.

Wonder what Pakistan is getting in return for handing over territory to the Chinese? Certain Pakistani's benefiting out of it - most likely.

What's with Indians starting threads from 2010 and 2009 to troll? Is it allowed on PDF @Awesome

Wonder what Pakistan is getting in return for handing over territory to the Chinese? Certain Pakistani's benefiting out of it - most likely.

We are getting nothing. Since we are not handing anything to them. So they are not giving us anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are getting nothing. Since we are not handing anything to them. So they are not giving us anything.

Let's hope not - the Kashmiri's would be pissed.

Like, why the devil didn't my friends tell me about the so called 'genocide' of the Kashmiris by the IA, as the Pakistanis contend, is going on in Kashmir??? They instead told me that there were lakhs of tourists enjoying Kashmir bliss. And one of them spent a romantic honeymoon in Gulmarg too, skiing over the snowy slopes with his newly married wife!

Damn them....damn them all for hiding from me all this stuff! :angry: And I thought there was an orgy of violence going on out there! :cheesy:

Yeah but then the difference is that I didn't see any mass graves, shutter-downs, armed revolt, disgruntled people or a few hundred thousand army men in GB back when I visited it in the early '00s !

Heck I can't remember the last time I saw one of our TV Anchors who are quick to lynch our Army otherwise mentioning any of this but I do vividly remember the Gilgit-Baltistanis vociferously demanding that their status be changed from a federal territory to a province of Pakistan....which it was even if its not de jure.

Khair, I've also got a few family members in Srinagar & quite a few in the Kashmiri Diaspora so I get some anecdotal evidence too ! :kiss3:

China's Discreet Hold on Pakistan's Northern Borderlands

By SELIG S. HARRISON

A quiet geopolitical crisis is unfolding in the Himalayan borderlands of northern Pakistan, where Islamabad is handing over de facto control of the strategic Gilgit-Baltistan region in the northwest corner of disputed Kashmir to China.

The entire Pakistan-controlled western portion of Kashmir stretching from Gilgit in the north to 'Azad (Free) Kashmir' in the south is closed to the world, in contrast to the media access that India permits in the eastern part, where it is combating a Pakistan-backed insurgency. But reports from a variety of foreign intelligence sources, Pakistani journalists and Pakistani human rights workers reveal two important new developments in Gilgit-Baltistan: a simmering rebellion against Pakistani rule and the influx of an estimated 7,000 to 11,000 soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army.

China wants a grip on the region to assure unfettered road and rail access to the Gulf through Pakistan. It takes 16 to 25 days for Chinese oil tankers to reach the Gulf. When high-speed rail and road links through Gilgit and Baltistan are completed, China will be able to transport cargo from Eastern China to the new Chinese-built Pakistani naval bases at Gwadar, Pasni and Ormara, just east of the Gulf, within 48 hours.

Many of the P.L.A. soldiers entering Gilgit-Baltistan are expected to work on the railroad. Some are extending the Karakoram Highway, built to link China’s Sinkiang Province with Pakistan. Others are working on dams, expressways and other projects.

Mystery surrounds the construction of 22 tunnels in secret locations where Pakistanis are barred. Tunnels would be necessary for a projected gas pipeline from Iran to China that would cross the Himalayas through Gilgit. But they could also be used for missile storage sites.

Until recently, the P.L.A. construction crews lived in temporary encampments and went home after completing their assignments. Now they are building big residential enclaves clearly designed for a long-term presence.

What is happening in the region matters to Washington for two reasons. Coupled with its support for the Taliban, Islamabad’s collusion in facilitating China’s access to the Gulf makes clear that Pakistan is not a U.S. “ally.” Equally important, the nascent revolt in the Gilgit-Baltistan region is a reminder that Kashmiri demands for autonomy on both sides of the cease-fire line would have to be addressed in a settlement.

Media attention has exposed the repression of the insurgency in the Indian-ruled Kashmir Valley. But if reporters could get into the Gilgit-Baltistan region and 'Azad' Kashmir, they would find widespread, brutally-suppressed local movements for democratic rights and regional autonomy.

When the British partitioned South Asia in 1947, the maharajah who ruled Kashmir, including Gilgit and Baltistan, acceded to India. This set off intermittent conflict that ended with Indian control of the Kashmir Valley, the establishment of Pakistan-sponsored Free Kashmir in western Kashmir, and Pakistan’s occupation of Gilgit and Baltistan, where Sunni jehadi groups allied with the Pakistan Army have systematically terrorized the local Shiite Muslims.

Gilgit and Baltistan are in effect under military rule. Democratic activists there want a legislature and other institutions without restrictions like the ones imposed on 'Free Kashmir', where the elected legislature controls only 4 out of 56 subjects covered in the state constitution. The rest are under the jurisdiction of a “Kashmir Council” appointed by the president of Pakistan.

Precisely because the Gilgit-Baltistan region is so important to China, the United States, India and Pakistan should work together to make sure that it is not overwhelmed, like Tibet, by the Chinese behemoth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/opinion/27iht-edharrison.html?scp=3&sq=Baltistan&st=cse&_r=0

The speed at which things are moving in Pakistan administered Kashmir where the Chinese have set themselves up permanently, it would be surprising if the area doesn't become another autonomous region of China like TAR, sooner than later. The writing is on the wall. For Pakistan - losing its hold in the Northern Areas to China and for India - a clear threat to the Kashmir Valley.

Published: August 26, 2010

Me and my frnds went there last year.. even crossed the attabad lake... till kunjerab etc.. didnt see any PLA soldiers or chinese flags? :lol: height of stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom