China's Beidou System targets global service around 2020

艹艹艹

Reaction score
Country
China
China's Beidou System targets global service around 2020

2016-07-24 11:10CRIENGLISH.comEditor: Yao Lan
U491P886T1D219560F12DT20160724111028.jpg

China launches the 23rd BeiDou Navigation Satellite from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province, June 12, 2016. (Photo: weibo.com)

The BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), which is independently developed and operated by China, is well positioned to provide services worldwide. It will service countries along the Belt and Road Initiative by 2018 and expand its reach globally by 2020.

Zhang Chunling, Chief Engineer of China's Satellite Navigation System management office, made the remarks on Saturday while attending a technical seminar in Nanjing, capital of east China's Jiangsu Province.

Zhang said that the BDS has provided regional services for three years, with stronger performances in Beijing and Nanjing as well as low latitudes areas.

The BeiDou project was formally launched in 1994. On June 12 this year, China successfully launched the 23rd BeiDou navigation satellite that was said to be well prepared for extensive civil use and providing global services.

According to Zhang, the new homegrown BeiDou chip modules and some other core infrastructure products have been gradually made available to meet the demand of smart phones, tablet computers, wearable devices and so on.

The technology has lifted China's dependency on imported high-accuracy satellite navigation products, said Zhang.

The Chinese government released a white paper in June this year, elaborating on the development of the BDS.

According to the document, China has formulated a three-step strategy for developing the BDS and aims to complete the development of the 35 satellite constellation around 2020 to provide all-time, all-weather and high-accuracy positioning, navigation and timing services to users globally.

The services cover the area between 55 degrees north latitude and 55 degrees south latitude and between 55 and 180 degrees east longitude, with a positioning accuracy of less than 10 meters, a velocity measurement accuracy of less than 0.2 meters per second and a timing accuracy of less than 50 nanoseconds.

2016 July 21, the opening of the China satellite navigation academic annual meeting came news, Beidou system's first overseas network project has been in Pakistan completed the first phase of the project construction, follow-up will also carry out the second phase of the project, covering the whole territory of Pakistan.

China unveils construction plan for first high-capacitybroadband satellite system
(People's Daily Online) 17:51, July 25, 2016

FOREIGN201607251753000183608089142.jpg

(Photo/CASC)
China is scheduled to launch its first high-capacity broadband satellite by the end of 2018,and to begin satellite communications services by 2019, according to the satellite system'sblueprint.

The blueprint was revealed as part of a contract signed between the Shenzhen governmentand China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) on July 23, according toCASC's official WeChat platform. A new company, APT Mobile SatCom Limited (APSTAR),co-founded by the two bodies, was also unveiled.

APSTAR will shoulder the responsibility for construction of the high-capacity broadbandsatellite system, the costs for which are estimated at 10 billion yuan.

Cheng Guangren, president of APSTAR and also an expert on communications satellites,said the company will launch two more high-capacity broadband satellites to serve in theAmericas, Europe and Africa, creating a global broadband satellite communications systemby 2020.

According to CASC, the system will have three to four satellites, each with a capacitydozens of times that of normal broadband satellites.

“With the help of high-capacity broadband satellites, we can now offer better service inremote areas, in the air and on the sea where there used to be no communicationsservices,” Cheng was quoted as saying.

When it is complete, China's global communications system will offer a continuous, reliableand autonomous service that supports the Belt and Road Initiative as well as otheroverseas development projects, the CASC post explained.

Last edited:
The BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), which is independently developed and operated by China, is well positioned to provide services worldwide. It will service countries along the Belt and Road Initiative by 2018 and expand its reach globally by 2020.

Bye Bye GPS.

Bye Bye GPS.
2016 July 21, the opening of the China satellite navigation academic annual meeting came news, Beidou system's first overseas network project has been in Pakistan completed the first phase of the project construction, follow-up will also carry out the second phase of the project, covering the whole territory of Pakistan.
Pakistan will soon be able to use the

It was more of Pakistan specific Bye Bye, at least militarily.
You can also use the Indian GPS system for Pakistan. Its live already.

Its a regional system only. Not global. But we made sure it covers Pakistan & Afghanistan. :angel:

You can also use the Indian GPS system for Pakistan. Its live already.

Its a regional system only. Not global. But we made sure it covers Pakistan & Afghanistan. :angel:

Is it live? I know that the 7th and presumably the last satellite for the system has been launched recently But I heard the receivers for the system were yet to be developed. Nonetheless congratulations.

Is it live? I know that the 7th and presumably the last satellite for the system has been launched recently But I heard the receivers for the system were yet to be developed. Nonetheless congratulations.
Yeah, its live. As of now only ISRO can use it. But reciever grade chip designs are targeted to be completed in 2017 only.

So after that anyone with a license can make them and use the GPS system.

Yeah, its live. As of now only ISRO can use it. But reciever grade chip designs are targeted to be completed in 2017 only.

So after that anyone with a license can make them and use the GPS system.

Are they going to degrade the accuracy for commercial units? I know US GPS does this. The military units are more accurate than the civilian inits.

Pakistan will soon be able to use the

Very glad to hear that China has chosen Pakistan for its first overseas roll-out. It should be very useful for CPEC.

China's current mobile phones and cars have been able to use, my phone has been supporting the Beidou navigation system

Are they going to degrade the accuracy for commercial units? I know US GPS does this. The military units are more accurate than the civilian inits.
Under war, Americans may not let you use, so we have to develop their own

Congratulations to our Chinese friends for all the hard work they have put in making Beidou a success.
I used GPS on a trek to Nanga Parbat 13 years ago. Now I look forward to using a Beidou set on another expedition if commercial Beidou set becomes available in open market.
You are so great, you are a brave climber.Soon it will be commercial applications in Pakistan, China has begun

China's current mobile phones and cars have been able to use, my phone has been supporting the Beidou navigation system

Wud love to get hold of the system and I hope it soon becomes available in Pakistan. What I think is that at first they might map the complete CPEC route for smooth running and fast response system to any eventuality in the route. Nonetheless anxiously waiting for it to be commercially available for general public in Pakistan.

Yes
Very glad to hear that China has chosen Pakistan for its first overseas roll-out. It should be very useful for CPEC.
It would make no difference whatsoever to CPEC.
CPEC would use commercial grade signals for its work for which US Navstar GPS is more than sufficient. Neither would using Navstar GPS reduce the work in CPEC nor would use of Beidou increase the work in CPEC. Stop making idiotic posts.

The only major use for Compass/Beidou in Pakistan would be for Pakistan Armed Forces.

Wud love to get hold of the system and I hope it soon becomes available in Pakistan. What I think is that at first they might map the complete CPEC route for smooth running and fast response system to any eventuality in the route. Nonetheless anxiously waiting for it to be commercially available for general public in Pakistan.
It should be available already. IIRC, Chinese mobile phones like Xiaomi etc now use Beidou as their primary GPS system and Navstar GPS as the secondary.

Back
Top Bottom