What's new

China wants high-speed rail link to India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
China wants high-speed rail link to India

China wants to build a high-speed rail line connecting its south-western city of Kunming to New Delhi and Lahore, part of a 17-country transcontinental rail project, officials familiar with the plans told The Hindu.

After years of much talk and little progress, China has finally reached agreements with several Central Asian countries and given the green signal to its ambitious pan-Asian high-speed rail link, which envisages connecting cities in China to Central Asia, Iran, Europe, Russia and Singapore.

One proposal involves a line running from Kunming, in south-western Yunnan province, to New Delhi, Lahore and on to Tehran, according to Wang Mengshu, a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and one of the country's leading railway consultants.

“India is a relatively small country with a huge population,” he told The Hindu in an interview. “It will be too costly to build highways for India, so our high-speed rail link project will improve transportation efficiency and resources. I am confident we can finally reach an agreement, which will greatly help exports to the Indian Ocean direction.” He said talks with Indian officials were “friendly,” and they had been “welcoming” of the idea.

The pan-Asian high-speed rail link has been talked about by Chinese officials since 1995, but appears to have finally begun to gather momentum following negotiations last year, and after China's own success in launching a domestic high-speed rail network.

In December, China opened what it described as the world's fastest rail link, between Wuhan and southern Guangzhou, where a 350 kmph-speed train covers the 1,068 km journey in three hours, down from 10.5 hours. By 2012, China will have opened 42 high-speed lines, covering 13,000 km of its total railway coverage of 110,000 km. When completed, China's will be the world's largest high-speed railway network.

Three lines

China now intends to extend this rail network far beyond its borders. The plan involves constructing three high-speed lines: a southern line through Cambodia, Vietnam and extending to Singapore; a western line from the country's Xinjiang region through Central Asia; and the third running north through the gas reserves of Russia to eastern Europe, and possibly even all the way to the United Kingdom. The proposed line to India, running through Myanmar, will join with the central line at Tehran.

Mr. Wang told The Hindu that China had reached an agreement with Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, while negotiations with other countries “are now going smoothly.” Construction work has begun on the southern line, which starts from Kunming and runs to Singapore.

Negotiations with the military government in Myanmar and also with Singapore, where the southern line will end, had progressed positively, he said.

When completed, the plan will give China unprecedented access to energy resources in many of these countries.

A spokesperson at the Ministry of Railways told the official Global Times newspaper on Friday that the Chinese government has initiated talks with some of the 17 countries involved in the project. China will bear the brunt of the cost of building the high-speed rail lines in many of the countries involved, but will in return get access to energy resources in a proposed “resources for technology” arrangement, the Global Times reported.

Mr. Wang, also a professor of civil engineering at the Beijing Jiaotong University, said in the best-case scenario the rail link would be completed by 2025, when a train journey from Beijing to London would only take two days.

But two factors that have continued to hinder the project, Mr. Wang said, were differences in the standard of railway track used in some countries, as well as track renovations needed in some areas. In the southern line, for instance, more than 650 km of track need renovation in Cambodia, while some sections in Myanmar were below the required standards. The rail lines that will be constructed would be 1,435 mm standard gauge lines, he said, and “are to be exclusively used by the new high-speed transportation.”

The Hindu : Front Page : China wants high-speed rail link to India

Not gonna happen.

More importantly, I'm suspecting if something goes wrong (especially if it is India's fault) they'll place the blame on China/Chinese. Just look at how they tried to scapegoat us Chinese and Koreans and Japanese, for THEIR incompetence.

It's just not worth it - too much risks, no benefits. If India wants it they need to PROVE they deserve it AND pay for it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here's something else you readers may not know:

Japan started to build a motocycle manufacturing plant in India. It was completed.... BUT the Indians went around and violated the terms of contract AND stole the plant (with the support of GOI) and now it is producing motocycles under Indian brand.

This sort of thing is extremely common, so common that if you don't get cheat by an Indian/Indian company/organization/government you can consider yourself extremely lucky.

More importantly, I'm suspecting if something goes wrong (especially if it is India's fault) they'll place the blame on China/Chinese. Just look at how they tried to scapegoat us Chinese and Koreans and Japanese, for THEIR incompetence.

It's just not worth it - too much risks, no benefits. If India wants it they need to PROVE they deserve it AND pay for it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here's something else you readers may not know:

Japan started to build a motocycle manufacturing plant in India. It was completed.... BUT the Indians went around and violated the terms of contract AND stole the plant (with the support of GOI) and now it is producing motocycles under Indian brand.

This sort of thing is extremely common, so common that if you don't get cheat by an Indian/Indian company/organization/government you can consider yourself extremely lucky.

Oh and the name of the company?

by the way i heard about gulsar :lol: at least you would have kept some name good makes everyone laugh here :rofl:

If this rail will be built, more and more Indians will come to China...

What I am worried is that they will come, and not leave ===> i.e. ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

I've seen what its like to have MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Illegal Indian Immigrants (I3) in Malaysia, Singapore, HK, UK, USA, Canada.

Take the example of the riots/"protests" in Kuala Lumper, Malaysia. Even though hundreds of thousands of them are Illegal Indian Immigrants (I3) they had the audacity to demand special privileges at the expense of the local indigenous population.

Oh and the name of the company?

by the way i heard about gulsar :lol: at least you would have kept some name good makes everyone laugh here :rofl:

That was a joke pls don't take it seriously. I guess he was talking about Japanese involvement in Automobile Industry Maruti Suzuki, Bajaj Kawasaki, Kirloskar Toyota, Mitshubishi -Hindustan motors, Nissan and several other ventures.

What I am worried is that they will come, and not leave ===> i.e. ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

I've seen what its like to have MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Illegal Indian Immigrants (I3) in Malaysia, Singapore, HK, UK, USA, Canada.

Take the example of the riots/"protests" in Kuala Lumper, Malaysia. Even though hundreds of thousands of them are Illegal Indian Immigrants (I3) they had the audacity to demand special privileges at the expense of the local indigenous population.

Why would someone want to lose freedom of Democracy and immigrate to Communist country other than business?

Last edited:

haven't you heard of Chinese illegal immigrants?
the train would help trade...and tourism.

Why would someone want to lose freedom of Democracy and immigrate to Communist country other than business?

Sorry to tell you the truth, in north india there are many people crossed boarder line illegally come to china. And answer you question about why, bcoz they dont like the freedom to be starving to death, under malnutrition.:D

Sorry to tell you the truth, in north india there are many people crossed boarder line illegally come to china. And answer you question about why, bcoz they dont like the freedom to be starving to death, under malnutrition.:D

illegal immigration between India and China is minimum. One has to cross the himalayas to get to china. Stop posting irrelevent things.
Chinese and Indians both immigrate illegally to western countries.

As for the train, it will help China more than anybody else. Still, we'd welcome the train.

haven't you heard of Chinese illegal immigrants?
the train would help trade...and tourism.

Yes there are illegal Chinese immigrants, but no where in the numbers of Illegal Indian Immigrants (I3). Also the Chinese Immigrants who are more educated, skilled and hard-working tend to contribute more to the host nation, and demand much less in return.

There are illegal American immigrants to other "3rd" world nations (e.g. hippies, drug dealers, sex-tourists, etc).

The host nation can only tolerate a certain amount of Illegals before it has a severe adverse effect on the local society. :angel:

illegal immigration between India and China is minimum. One has to cross the himalayas to get to china. Stop posting irrelevent things.

As for the train, it will help China more than anybody else. Still, we'd welcome the train.

It benefits India (which has over-population, lack of jobs, and poverty problems) more than China. Whomever is connected to this New Silk Road will be the "leaders-of-tomorrow" while those who are not, will be left trailing behind. This is the simple truth. :smitten:

Hey, come dwon, I just answered the question of "Goodperson". But you are wrong, illegal immigration from India to China is not minimum, but it seems chinese govt accept that and I dont know why.:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom