What's new

China to complete J-10 development before launching fifth-generation fighter

SBD-3

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Siva Govindasamy

China's main priority is to work on and unveil an upgraded version of its Chengdu Aircraft J-10 fighter, with the development of a fifth-generation fighter likely to wait until that is almost completed.

"Research and development is under way to improve the J-10 to develop a more powerful variant," says Wang Yawei, president of AVIC Defence, the military arm of state-owned aircraft manufacturer China Aviation Industry (AVIC). "This will take a bit of time and we are confident we will have a very good fourth-generation fighter when this is completed.

"We will gain a lot of knowledge and information from this development. By focusing on the fourth-generation fighter, we will be able to shorten the time needed to develop a new generation of fighters. After that, we will be able to undertake the development and production of a fifth-generation fighter."

Wang's remarks play down a recent statement by Ho Weirong, deputy commander of the Chinese air force, who said during a television interview that a fifth-generation fighter could be unveiled within 10 years.

China reportedly has several indigenous aircraft programmes under way, including plans for new fourth- and fifth-generation fighters, plus attack and utility helicopters, airborne early warning aircraft, trainers and transport aircraft. Various categories of unmanned air vehicles are also being developed.

Wang says the company has state support to develop all of these. AVIC Defence will use the expertise gathered by the separate factories that existed before a reorganisation of the industry in recent years, to make a co-ordinated effort to develop aircraft, he adds.

Exports of the J-10 are also unlikely until the company successfully develops and puts into service an upgraded J-10B in China, says Ma Zhiping, president of China National Aero-Technology Import & Export Corp (Catic), which markets Chinese-made military aviation products globally.

"There is a lot of interest in the J-10 and several countries and air forces have been in touch with us," says Ma. "However, we are not looking to actively market the J-10 until it is sufficiently powerful."

Earlier this month, reports out of Pakistan - a long-time customer of Chinese military aircraft - claimed that the country had signed a memorandum of understanding to buy 36 J-10Bs worth about $1.4 billion. Islamabad is keen on eventually acquiring around 150 J-10Bs, which it will designate as FC-20s, with deliveries to start from 2014-15. The type would supplement its Chengdu/Pakistan Aeronautical Complex JF-17 light fighters and Lockheed Martin F-16s.

"Pakistan is Catic's best friend," says Ma. "It is normal that Pakistan has this desire to procure the J-10. However, we have not signed any deal with anyone yet."

Thanks for posting such an informative article thums up for you champ:tup:

i am happy to see this post as in future our airforce would be a lethal force.

If PAF gets 150 , FC20's
75 Vipers Block 52 and MLU
250-300 Thunders Blck 1/2/3

a force of arround 500 fighter jets before a 5th generation fighter would be enough .:cheers:

Though i have a feeling that PAF would go for USAF vipers too but i think its too early to say:pakistan:

BTW this is my 500 post...lol

Thanks for posting such an informative article thums up for you champ:tup:

i am happy to see this post as in future our airforce would be a lethal force.

If PAF gets 150 , FC20's
75 Vipers Block 52 and MLU
250-300 Thunders Blck 1/2/3

a force of arround 500 fighter jets before a 5th generation fighter would be enough .:cheers:

Though i have a feeling that PAF would go for USAF vipers too but i think its too early to say:pakistan:

BTW this is my 500 post...lol

I dont think PAF should go for USAF's A and B vipers. Too old, rather spend more on Thunders and develop them in more and more potent ACs. PAC should try now to finishup with 250 target uptill 2015 and then switch to perhaps FC-20 by then, as roumered

what about PAF acquiring super ten in future?

I dont think PAF should go for USAF's A and B vipers. Too old, rather spend more on Thunders and develop them in more and more potent ACs. PAC should try now to finishup with 250 target uptill 2015 and then switch to perhaps FC-20 by then, as roumered

I really don't think so personally that JF-17 will gonna be equal to Rafale or Eurofighter or even against Su-30 MKI, so why everybody keep on saying that it will make Pakistan defence invincible which is not a true story my dear.

So stop doing this by giving jf-17 A+ grade marks where it is standing under B grade and i dont think so that it will gonna reach grade B.

^^ Pakistan has opted for a defensive doctrine. Keeping that in mind, the JF-17 perfectly meets those requirements. Pakistan has no intention of occupying and invading other nations. Pakistan hasn't got any ambitions of becoming a superpower. Pakistan is able to defend itself from outside aggression. That's the main goal. Pakistan has sufficient capability to defend the homeland.

Last edited:
^^ Pakistan has opted for a defensive doctrine. Keeping that in mind, the JF-17 perfectly meets those requirements. Pakistan has no intention of occupying and invading other nations. Pakistan hasn't got any ambitions of becoming a superpower. Pakistan is able to defend itself from outside aggression. That's the main goal. Pakistan has sufficient capability to defend the homeland.

But still JF-17 isn't gonna be enough against the likes of SU-30MKI and MMRCA Winner even against Mig-29. One more thing we have to increase some more new squardons as india increases it's squardons. I know what's gonna be the next answer that we are small country we dont need more jets etc......... I dont wanna see that answer we have to increase our jets as well as we have to induct some Rafale or Eurofighter instead of FC-20 which is total chinnese crap.

We need some more high tech jets we have a lot of money bus inn curropet political leaders saee nikalwaanae kii dair hai jinhoon nain mulk koo loot liaa hai since it's creation.

yes i agree we need something like gripen or J 10 in huge numbers

But still JF-17 isn't gonna be enough against the likes of SU-30MKI and MMRCA Winner even against Mig-29. One more thing we have to increase some more new squardons as india increases it's squardons. I know what's gonna be the next answer that we are small country we dont need more jets etc......... I dont wanna see that answer we have to increase our jets as well as we have to induct some Rafale or Eurofighter instead of FC-20 which is total chinnese crap.

We need some more high tech jets we have a lot of money bus inn curropet political leaders saee nikalwaanae kii dair hai jinhoon nain mulk koo loot liaa hai since it's creation.

^^ Firstly, the JF-17 was never intended to take on Su-30 or the MMRCA winner for that matter. JF-17 is primarily a replacement for the aging fleet i.e. Mirage, A-5, F-7 etc. PAF has been looking for an affordable yet high to medium tech omni-role alternative for over a decade. The Western/US alternatives have always been costly and sanction prone. The JF-17 is in that regard a blessing. The JF-17 platform also provides PAF with the long overdue BVR capability. PAF is able to tweak and upgrade the fighter according to its own needs and requirements. Not to mention, that production facilities at Kamra have been set-up which will be beneficial for the domestic aviation industry in the long-term.

One thing that you have to understand is that PAF isn't India centric. Not only doesn't PAF match IAF numerically, but also the fiscal situation is in their favour. Our main deterrence against hostile nations are our nuclear weapons. The acquisition of Western platforms such as Gripen will not tilt the balance in our favour. By your definition, Gripen too is inferior as compared to Su-30 and MMRCA contender.

Last edited:
Just save some money and go for Rafale with max TOT!

hahaha ...
Dear, saving money and Rafale should never be used in the same sentence.

Regards,
Sapper

He means save money for Rafales. Maybe 40-50 Rafales will do the job.

It would need more than saving some money to buy Rafales. Lets try robbing some banks instead-- its more practical solution. ;)

Well if our govt can just reduce the 100+ federal level ministerial posts, similarly provincial govts reduce their ministerial posts (take Balochistan Assembly whose all 65+ parliament members are ministers having perks as MPAs as well as ministers), reduce the expenditure of each MNA, MPA & Senators which costs billions of rupees, reduce excessive ministries & reduce just little bit of corruption in the development budget of 650+ Billion Rupees, i can guarantee you we can have in 2-3 years enough money to purchase considerable number of any 4th+ generation aircraft.

I remember an article with calculations for the expense of one Pakistani MNA was around 20-25Million per year, just imagine we have 342 MNAs, and the 600+ MPAs are separate then this, adding to it the hundred or so senators.

Just imagine what we can save even if we half their perks and privileges.

^^Also start taxing the feudal lords and/or implement land reform so that it is given to honest land labourers.

Back
Top Bottom