What's new

China removes top leadership contender Bo Xilai from post

That I have to agree. Corruption cause social unrest but economically not a major danger for China. People like Bo will make this much money regardless whether he is mayor or not. Gradually media transparency will make low level corruption harder and harder, and not worth the risk. Compare to most developing countries, corruption in China is kingdergarden. At least police doesn't stop you for bribe like you get in Mexico (and Mexico is a developed country).

I don't think Mexico is developed just because its part of OECD. Russia and Brazil have much higher GDP/capita and are still developing. Anyhow, we will catch up with Mexico in 5 years.

I think you are right. the education of the grassroots is an final advantage of a nation.

I don't know what's going on in China. But as I observed, China is taking some jerks in the reforms and transition to a more powerful nation. The princeling, or the elite, usually have the sight for a long view, and its inside from their memory of grow-up, therefore the instinct. While the leaders from the general public or the low castle tend to take practical path.

the education of the grassroots provides more access of those people to the top league of the political arena, thus melting into with with more fresh spirits and opinions. if you look at all powerful nations throughout the history, you will find that's a universal phenomenon.

The sad story of Pakistan, and other developing nations, notably South Asian nations and South American nations, is the invisible segregation of the class, we need a revolution to break up these fences, all people need equal access of knowledge, self awaking of political sense, instead of being part of the voting machine, some great thinkers, and so far.

China and Japan, together with other east asians, are already up in the highland, you guys have no reason to be pessimistic.

Many Chinese people view the low-caste born leaders as the hungry wolves compared to the princelings, that's why they rather have the rich spoiled princelings than those hungry wolves.

Many Chinese people view the low-caste born leaders as the hungry wolves compared to the princelings, that's why they rather have the rich spoiled princelings than those hungry wolves.

For this generation (grassroot leader Hu/Wen) and next gerneration of leaders (priceling Xi), one thing in common among them is that they have all experienced hardship when they grow up. In addition, both Hu/Wen and Xi have worked in one of the poorest places in China for years, so they understand China better. It is hard to make that assumption on future generation of pricelings. It seems that none of the next generation of pricelings are interested in politics anyway.

I just learn the word princeling.As a noun it has meaning negative,but actually for my understanding princeling just another form of principle.

I just learn the word princeling.As a noun it has meaning negative,but actually for my understanding princeling just another form of principle.

You ain't alone, buddy.

今早草草一略,“胜读十年书” ...

Getting into Harrow, Oxford and Harvard is no fool, However, it depends how he got in.

As a potential leader's son/daughter, those red-son/daughter got way special treatment from those western institutions. There is no arguing about that. Even the west acknowledge such favors.

About the finance of Bo's son, Bo Guagua's studies at Harrow, Oxford and Harvard. Bo's wife is a lawyer. She is the possible source of finance for Bo GG expenses. At college level, Bo XL claims his son earns full scholarships for his college tuitions based on merits. Getting into Harrow, Oxford and Harvard is no fool.

1131068uuns5pgvy4kkfxv.jpg

Bo GG and his girl friend Photo from Baidu

As for Bo XL's downfall, it is either due to corruption or impeding the course of justice

“Bo’s basic problem is that he does not operate according to the party’s established practices" said a journalist familiar with the situation,"“His way of doing things threatens and scares them.”
Even in defeat, Mr. Bo retains such an aura of power that some wonder whether he will somehow recoup his losses and stage a comeback. And he knows how to use it: one person familiar with details of the Bo saga said that Mr. Bo deliberately failed to appear at a March 8 meeting of the Chongqing delegation at the Beijing session of China’s handpicked legislature, the National People’s Congress — then reappeared the next day to stage a full-dress news conference.
There were signs on Friday that Mr. Bo’s critics might indeed be worried. A few ardently supporters of Bo websites were blocked.

Selected from New York Times 3/16/12

The world is watching this development closely.

Getting into Harrow, Oxford and Harvard is no fool, However, it depends how he got in.

As a potential leader's son/daughter, those red-son/daughter got way special treatment from those western institutions. There is no arguing about that. Even the west acknowledge such favors.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm protecting Bo family's image or whatever. If a student, even with a somewhat influential background, who can get through all of the above institutions and keeps advancing to a higher level of studies on full scholarships, it is extremely difficult to fathom how Bo GG can achieve all these on the basis of receiving favours other than on academic merits.

Is it really that difficult??? Even Bush graduated from Yale. How hard could it be???

BTW, in Ive league schools, a lot of professors give quite good grades towards students. There are a lot of curves as well.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm protecting Bo family's image or whatever. If a student, even with a somewhat influential background, who can get through all of the above institutions and keeps advancing to a higher level of studies on full scholarships, it is extremely difficult to fathom how Bo GG can achieve all these on the basis of receiving favours other than on academic merits.

i know how the system works.

the hardest universities to graduate from are not the top elite universities. they're hard to GET IN. they are not hard to get out.

the easiest universities to be kicked out from in the West are the 2nd tier elite schools like UC Berkeley, UCLA, Imperial College London, etc.

let me put it this way: just as I trust a UC Berkeley graduate more than a Harvard or MIT graduate, I trust a HUST or USTC graduate more than I trust a Beida/Qinghua/Fudan graduate.

UCB has never been 2nd tier school. UCLA is not either.

Only those gossip-girl-type people will think these two schools are 2nd tiers. Both has top-notch business school and engineering schools. HAAS and Anderson schools have done very well.

BTW, I do not know how you trust students more from USTC than students from Tsinghua. For Peking U. or Fudan, they have to vouch for themselves.

However, for students from Tsinghua, I have to say they are top-notch ones as well. Anonymously on average, no other school in China can say they have better graduate than Tsinghua, let alone USTC. 20 to 30 years ago, some good students might divert to USTC. However, more would choose Tsinghua anyway. Nowadays, among the top high school students in China, few will choose USTC over Tsinghua U.

the hardest universities to graduate from are not the top elite universities. they're hard to GET IN. they are not hard to get out.

the easiest universities to be kicked out from in the West are the 2nd tier elite schools like UC Berkeley, UCLA, Imperial College London, etc.

let me put it this way: just as I trust a UC Berkeley graduate more than a Harvard or MIT graduate, I trust a HUST or USTC graduate more than I trust a Beida/Qinghua/Fudan graduate.

Not really. It may not be true in Beida (Peking) Qinghua (Tsinghua) or the likes either and not in the Ivy leagues in the states. And to get a full scholarship proves something rather substantial IMO. Top tier graduate schools in US are the most competitive in admission and equally difficult to get good grades.

Actually I was arguing about the likelihood of getting "favours" for Bo GG's studies with ephone.
Zhang ZM was the most powerful man in China when his son was admiited to Drexel - a humble
university in the mid west. Power and admission to a college of you choice could have played a part in the case of GW Bush but remotely likely in the case of academic pursuits of Bo's son. End of my debate.

UCB has never been 2nd tier school. UCLA is not either.

Only those gossip-girl-type people will think these two schools are 2nd tiers. Both has top-notch business school and engineering schools. HAAS and Anderson schools have done very well.

BTW, I do not know how you trust students more from USTC than students from Tsinghua. For Peking U. or Fudan, they have to vouch for themselves.

However, for students from Tsinghua, I have to say they are top-notch ones as well. Anonymously on average, no other school in China can say they have better graduate than Tsinghua, let alone USTC. 20 to 30 years ago, some good students might divert to USTC. However, more would choose Tsinghua anyway. Nowadays, among the top high school students in China, few will choose USTC over Tsinghua U.

I know what you mean. They are indeed very highly ranked in science and engineering. I am myself at a University of California campus. However, in terms of political power, they are not where the elite go, you know what I mean? There is a difference between ELITE SCHOOL and a SCHOOL WHERE ELITES GO. They might not be the same.

I know many of the people from Tsinghua. Their thinking is different from people like me. I can't describe it really, their thought process is very different.

Not really. It may not be true in Beida (Peking) Qinghua (Tsinghua) or the likes either and not in the Ivy leagues in the states. And to get a full scholarship proves something rather substantial IMO. Top tier graduate schools in US are the most competitive in admission and equally difficult to get good grades.

Actually I was arguing about the likelihood of getting "favours" for Bo GG's studies with ephone.
Zhang ZM was the most powerful man in China when his son was admiited to Drexel - a humble
university in the mid west. Power and admission to a college of you choice could have played a part in the case of GW Bush but remotely likely in the case of academic pursuits of Bo's son. End of my debate.

i'm in a University of California campus. getting in is alot harder than staying in. if you didn't know, in some graduate classes you can pass with a 50% grade.

You should understand in U.S. the "tier" school is not ranked by political power but academic ranking.

BTW, I have no idea what your "elite" means. Political stars? or future Nobel scientists? I bet yours is for the first one since seldom people use "elite" to describe those who make significant advancement in science and technology.

I know what you mean. They are indeed very highly ranked in science and engineering. I am myself at a University of California campus. However, in terms of political power, they are not where the elite go, you know what I mean? There is a difference between ELITE SCHOOL and a SCHOOL WHERE ELITES GO. They might not be the same.

I know many of the people from Tsinghua. Their thinking is different from people like me. I can't describe it really, their thought process is very different.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom