What's new

China debates Mao's legacy On 118th anniversary

NeutralCitizen

Reaction score
When a towering statue of Mao Zedong was built in this town more than a decade ago, both the Sun and the Moon rose together, or so goes the local legend. This, and a dozen similar stories, have made this small non-descript town in central Hunan province one of China's biggest — and most unlikely — places of pilgrimage. This year, more than 5 million descended on Shaoshan, a small town of green fields and rolling hills, to pay homage to its most famous son.

On the 118th anniversary of his birth, which fell on Monday, Mao remains as revered as ever in his native province of Hunan, even as his controversial legacy is being increasingly re-examined in the rest of China.

“For many people in Hunan, Mao is like a god,” Chen Yuxiang, a professor in the Marxism School of Hunan University, in the provincial capital of Changsha, told The Hindu in an interview. “So Shaoshan, for them, is a place of pilgrimage.”

Shaoshan was declared a national cultural heritage site in 1951. Since then, more than 50 million Chinese have made the trip to this town, said local officials.

On one recent morning, dozens of visitors, from across China gathered at Shaoshan's main square, which more resembled a place of religious worship than a historical landmark.

Soldiers, students and a tour group of retirees braved a cold wind and light drizzle to line up in the main square, each awaiting their turn to lay a wreath at the foot of the statue.

Each visitor circled the statue four times, before bowing four times and placing the wreath at Mao's feet.

A group of recent college students, brought to Shaoshan to mark their graduation, chanted the Communist Party's oath in unison, while a visiting People's Liberation Army cohort, marching in line, waved red flags nearby.

For older visitors, said Mr. Chen, fondness for Mao was borne out of nostalgia and pride at his early achievements during the revolutionary war. But it is Mao's role in the events following his founding the People's Republic of China in 1949 that have become a matter of increasing debate three decades after his death. His role in presiding over the disastrous 1958 Great Leap Forward and subsequent famine, which claimed 30 million lives according to historians, and in leading the violent decade-long Cultural Revolution starting in 1966, are now beginning to be viewed more objectively by Chinese scholars, said Mr. Chen.

In an article published in the State-run Global Times on Monday, Li Jie, vice director of the Literature Research Office of the Communist Party's Central Committee, acknowledged that China needed “to look at his mistakes in an objective manner”.

“The main reason the Cultural Revolution happened and ran out of control was because of the absence of collective decision-making in the Party. Blind worship of Mao took over, and he enjoyed unchecked power.”

“We should not cover up his problems,” he wrote. “And we cannot make the same mistakes again.”

Even as his legacy is being re-examined, Mao's popularity, at least among younger Chinese, appears to be undiminished, in part because his failures are given brief mention in textbooks even as his achievements are celebrated.

Last year, the number of Shaoshan's visitors grew by 10 per cent, said local officials, citing renewed history in Mao's life as the Communist Party marked its 90th anniversary. Shaoshan made more than 400 million Yuan ($63.5 million) in tourism revenue last year.

“Part of the reason for Shaoshan's popularity is the belief that Mao was a great man,” said Mr. Chen of Hunan University. “But it is also because of tourism. Encouraging Mao as a god is also a good way to earn money.”

China's leaders, too, who still routinely invoke Mao's accomplishments, have played no small role in boosting Shaoshan's image. One local official said President Hu Jintao has visited Shaoshan on three occasions — in 1983, 1993 and 2003. Each visit, he said, followed a major promotion up the party ranks, the last being shortly after he took over as President.

“He came here each time to thank Mao,” said the official.

What do most current Chinese think of Mao ? I have heard the older Generation has a fondness of him.

I believe most of current Chinese agree Mao is 50% good 50% bad, or somewhere along that percentage

rarely one would say he's 100% good or bad.

IMO he was a great leader in wartime, he was good at political situations but bad at economic ones.

He was the kind of leader who looked at things at a larger scale for better or worse, didn't care much about human loses.

Most Chinese agree that the worst thing he did was the starting of culture revolution. but out of it, Chinese will hardly ever fall for another personal worship campaign and no other CCP chairman will stay in power for a life time.

He was the First Chinese Patriot that stood up to the USA when China was at it weakest point. He defeated the corrupt KMT and United China, he made mistakes however he was a man of his time.

I agree with what Kylin said he was a great wartime leader however didn't careless on losses.
Chairman Mao gave his son in the Korean War.

I believe most of current Chinese agree Mao is 50% good 50% bad, or somewhere along that percentage

rarely one would say he's 100% good or bad.

IMO he was a great leader in wartime, he was good at political situations but bad at economic ones.

He was the kind of leader who looked at things at a larger scale for better or worse, didn't care much about human loses.

Most Chinese agree that the worst thing he did was the starting of culture revolution. but out of it, Chinese will hardly ever fall for another personal worship campaign and no other CCP chairman will stay in power for a life time.

He gave up his son in the Korean War, how many leaders let their children fight at the front?

You might say that he doesn't care about life, or you can say he's fair.

Maybe I should put it this way,
He would sacrifice many lives for desired result if the situation requires.

all great leaders would. sometimes you have to sacrifice a few to serve the many.

only 2 reasons why we were poor in the 50's-80's. number 1 was that cultural revolution destroyed alot of useful things, but 2nd was how China's fertility did not decline in 1949 but our death rate dropped significantly.

In 1960's our fertility rate was higher than Afghanistan but with a much better healthcare system, so our population grew fast. Nothing to do with Mao's policy except didn't encourage birth control and definitely not like what Americans said that a bigger population can fight wars more :lol: Chinese always liked big families in the past.

all great leaders would. sometimes you have to sacrifice a few to serve the many.

only 2 reasons why we were poor in the 50's-80's. number 1 was that cultural revolution destroyed alot of useful things, but 2nd was how China's fertility did not decline in 1949 but our death rate dropped significantly.

In 1960's our fertility rate was higher than Afghanistan but with a much better healthcare system, so our population grew fast. Nothing to do with Mao's policy except didn't encourage birth control and definitely not like what Americans said that a bigger population can fight wars more :lol: Chinese always liked big families in the past.

Well I would consider the debt resulted from Korea war(which was like 40% of total national debt I read somewhere) and following wars; importing additional weapons and our nuclear and other weapon projects would be another reason.

We had to export food to USSR as payment during The Three Year, while there are many reason why so many people died during that time, the payment certainly did not help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I heard that the culture revolution was instigated by his wife not Mao himself.

He gave up his son in the Korean War, how many leaders let their children fight at the front?

You might say that he doesn't care about life, or you can say he's fair.

Current CPC leaders wouldn't, Chairman Mao was a man that could get the business done, he said in war there are sacrifices and he gave his son.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I heard that the culture revolution was instigated by his wife not Mao himself.

depends on when do you consider culture revolution start

While CCP have had Mao responsible for it, many people also believe his wife was under his instruction.

Chinese feelings on Mao has been changing over the years. During Mao's years he was deemed as a semi-God. When China opened up it goes the opposite way as people feel Mao made Chinese so poor. After Chinese get richer, however, people start to respect him more and more as social inequality gets bigger.

Things people likes about Mao:
1. First leader in recent Chinese history that can pull the country together and defy western/Soviet powers
2. Establish mothern Chinese industrial system, which a lot of people believe contribute to current econmic growth.
3. Make China a nuclear power in the most challenging time
4. Almost no corruption for the first time in China's 5000 year history
5. Social equality (Equally poor though)
6. Liberate women so they are equal to men
7. Low crime rate, no drugs, prostitutions, etc
8. Handwritings, poems, literature etc

Things people hate:
1. Anti-right/Great forward - people died of starvation
2. Cultural revolution that actually destroyed a lot of Chinese culture
3. Economic policy
4. Personal cult, repressions against other leaders etc
5. Women are too liberated that Wives bully Husbands nowadays.

I personally believe over the time people's opinion will rationalize once the generations directly impacted by Mao's policies fade away. I think that's when his legacy should be defined finally. Personally, I think Mao is a great patriot and leader who made horrible mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom