What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

The J-10 suffers from simply having less wing "span". there isnt any space to fit all of that into the jet.

It's not necessarily the wing size, but the weight limit of the external wingstation, that doesn't seems to be able to carry BVR missiles and the fact that no wingtip station was added, like on the F16, Gripen or Rafale. For fuselage stations with bigger loads the fuselage simply offers too less space with the gearbay in between.

Because unlike J10 or JF17, it has 4 x wingstations, which means even with fuel tanks, it can carry 6 x AAMs in A2A and a full set of 4 x AAM in any other role (CAS, SEAD...).

Show me a picture of F16 with 2 WVR and 4 BVR... There are plenty of training and war pictures of f16's... You are called an analyst... So show me your data buddy...

Show me a picture of F16 with 2 WVR and 4 BVR... There are plenty of training and war pictures of f16's... You are called an analyst... So show me your data buddy...

Do you wish for a wartime picture or training picture with this configuration?

In Either case, F-16s in Combat air Patrol configuration will rarely fly with more than 4 AAMs..ANYWHERE in the world. A fighter sweep mission requires that the aircraft search out and kill aircraft and the UAEAF F-16s flew such missions in red flag. Here is an example of their loadout.
3077_001.jpg

Last edited:
Do you wish for a wartime picture or training picture with this configuration?

In Either case, F-16s in Combat air Patrol configuration will rarely fly with more than 4 AAMs..ANYWHERE in the world. A fighter sweep mission requires that the aircraft search out and kill aircraft and the UAEAF F-16s flew such missions in red flag. Here is an example of their loadout.
View attachment 15110

Okay, you win Oscar. The arabs have no clue... If you watch dogfights of all the arabs then you will see that they either start shooting everything they have, crash into ground or turn their belly into the radar of the opponent. If the UAE could put ten BVR on this f16 then they would do...

I met once a Mirage pilot of UAE... He could do a superb job with acting in Top Gun...I do not mean in a positive way. I even got a few movies of this guy sitting in JF17 sim. ;)

I think the UA thinks about the strategy of shooting as much as possible BVR to stop larger number of opponents. And probably never risking a WVR. Practically you use 1 or maybe 2 BVR to get into decent position to finish the opponent while your wingman does the same. Getting into WVR with still two BVR on your wings is not handy. In wartime it needs to be seen whether it will be done.

Last edited:
The arabs have no clue... If you watch dogfights of all the arabs then you will see that they either start shooting everything they have, crash into ground or turn their belly into the radar of the opponent. If the UAE could put ten BVR on this f16 then they would do...

That seems a very non-analytical argument to me for someone who was challenging another for proving analytical skills. You neither have proof to back up the fighting ability of the current UAEAF pilots nor have you focused on any pros and cons of the loadout. I know not how the fighting ability of Arabs in their wars with the Israelis(especially considering their well publicized lack of initiative and training) or the poor review of the Saudis for their air force operations till recent have to do with the A2A loadout used by the UAEAF in this picture. Also, on the subject of fighting ability.. there is on hand a testament by USAF pilots who participated in ATLC 2009 of the Mirage-2000-9 of the UAEAF as an excellent dogfighting aircraft and opponent. I am aghast to believe that all those who flew that fighter were foreigners or mercenaries. Additionally, the UAEAF F-16 pilots have been training constantly with the Americans and even with the most torrid of attitudes would have learnt something. A link to the video on this exercise is available, and even though it is as much a PR exercise than documentary.. it does show serious intent and training ability by UAEAF arab pilots.

I don't call myself that, so I don't think I have to prove it, but it's not that difficult to find pics of such configs:

1%2028%20F-16C%20194FS%20Fresno%20ANG%20left%20side%20l.jpg

aai.jpg

The one Oscar posted btw, is one of the UAE F16s that were sent to the Lybian conflict and obviously shows CAP configs.
Their M2K-9s, just as the Qatari M2K-5s carried 4 x MICA EMs and 2 x IR missiles in similar roles, French M2K-5s carried 3 x MICA EM and 3 x MICA IR, Rafale, 4 x MICA EM and 2 x MICA IR, the British EF carried even 4 x Amraam and 4 x Asraam in the A2A roles. So when the fighter has the capability to carry 4 x BVR missiles and the operater has the requirement, they will do it and as showed earlier, PLAAF has this requirement for the J10 and therefor needs twin launchers.

Well, I do not mind. No human is perfect and I am certainly not. All the time serious you versus me is getting boring so admitting begin wrong is nothing stupid. It is a lot more stupid still holding your position while the whole foundation of your evidence is evaporated with a picture...

:)

Well, I lost this one ;)

You learnt something new. What is prudent is not to get lost in trying to prove that certain capabilities are important or not on the aircraft.. but rather if the operator wants them or not. The PAF in on record with interviews that it does not want the 4 BVRAAM loadout even though it can. The same way, the Chinese will be performing Fighter sweep missions that will require more missiles.

Technologically, JF-17 is on par with J-10, even having DSI well before J-10 has it. PAF does not need J-10 for its fleet of medium sized fighters, but it would need J-31 once it is ready for production.

Back
Top Bottom