What's new

Changing times: Ijtihad and other questions Muslims must revisit

880e8d4df0cac41791d6cc2d0203fcae.jpg

@Norwegian

shaikh albaani said following golden words
He said: We were suffering from blind following (taqleed) and now we are suffering from a free-for-all! And he stated that blind following of the earlier scholars is far better than this free-for-all; rather for the ordinary Muslim, following a scholar is obligatory and this free-for-all is haraam.

Free-for-all was the main cause of the Mongolian and Tatar hordes invasion of Iraq and the destruction of Baghdad, with enough books to make several bridges on the Euphrates river. The invasion was also backed and in coordination with other Muslim forces from the South of Iraq. That is when all thoughts were permitted freely and decadence stared to spread.
so it is best to do ijtihad in an Islamic frame, where all thoughts are subjected to the ethics of the society, and the limits set by the majority of its members.

Last edited:
No Ijtihad was done on those matters decided in Quran and Sunnah Mr go and learn it and Taqlid was being done at that time too and many off those doing taqlid also came up with scientific research on different issues and west is different from us that is what great visionary Iqbal also said
I have explained the word Ijtihad in Arabic in its broadest form in a daily life, it goes beyond the religious Ijtihad which is a fundamental part of it. and is deeper thus more difficult to understand.
This has nothing to do with West or East, this is a Muslim notion in Arabic, and Arabic as you know (or may be not) is a very rich language, which allows for different interpretations of words depending on the context, and even phrases can change meaning in different contexts and paragraphs too...etc
We both agree on fundamentals, and what Ijtihad means in Islam, I just pointed out that its meaning is broader in the Arabic language, and tried to make it easy to understand for the common people without going into its deeper meanings, I have made the statement in the other post.

I have explained the word Ijtihad in Arabic in its broadest form in a daily life, it goes beyond the religious Ijtihad which is a fundamental part of it. and is deeper thus more difficult to understand.
This has nothing to do with West or East, this is a Muslim notion in Arabic, and Arabic as you know (or may be not) is a very rich language, which allows for different interpretations of words depending on the context, and even phrases can change meaning in different contexts and paragraphs too...etc
We both agree on fundamentals, and what Ijtihad means in Islam, I just pointed out that its meaning is broader in the Arabic language, and tried to make it easy to understand for the common people without going into its deeper meanings, I have made the statement in the other post.

Ijtihad in theory? possible.

Ijtihad in practice? Heck no!

The only changes in current practices will be to make them more stone age, more orthodox.

That's not ijtihad, that is fundamentalism in practice.

Ijtihad in theory? possible.

Ijtihad in practice? Heck no!

The only changes in current practices will be to make them more stone age, more orthodox.

That's not ijtihad, that is fundamentalism in practice.
Well, that is why it is called ijtihad, meaning a struggle with one self to discipline himself for the task of the other meaning or part of Ijtihad.It has to be practiced to become practical. theory has no value in Pragmatic Islam, unless it becomes practical.

Well, that is why it is called ijtihad, meaning a struggle with one self to discipline himself for the task of the other meaning or part of Ijtihad.It has to be practiced to become practical. theory has no value in Pragmatic Islam, unless it becomes practical.

No idea what you want to say here.

sorry.

No idea what you want to say here.

sorry.
That is because its was written like classical Arabic in a particular dept of meaning. Very few can decode it , and still fewer can fully understand it. That is why common Muslims were asked to follow the Oulama's findings and interpretations. Well, even blindly if one lacks any kind of education on his own. But Ijtihad as such should continue perpetually, on all levels of society and education. That is the only way to advance in all kinds of life matters through scientific understanding of nature's laws, Human psychology, social patterns and behaviors, to fully understand (or at least our best attempt (Ijtihad)) to understand the universe surrounding us,on both micro and macrocosmic levels.
The trend today in Islam is a kind of reverse Ijtihad; we can find so many videos, lectures and scholarly articles on the net and elsewhere, linking the divine statements found in the Koran to the scientific findings and breakthroughs.including the most recent ones.
I personally think that it was a smart move by whom ever has initiated it, because linking science and Koranic statements in that way will open and facilitate the understanding of the links either way, and will lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs in most science fields.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom