What's new

carving out a new province from Punjab

chharoonahmad

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi

I was reading this news story:
Regionalisation of the electorate | Opinion | DAWN.COM

Punjab's map: http://justicedeniedpk.com/JDP/image.axd?picture=2009/7/MapLogo.jpg

It seems the writer is quite biased in favor of PML-N. But forget it. I have read that if a new province is formed PML-N would be affected the most. I don't get it. Suppose Punjab is divided between North Punjab and South Punjab. If PML-N was getting a certain number, let's say 55/100, of NA seats in undivided Punjab, then won't it still achieve the same results in divided Punjab assuming the arrangement of the seats is not changed much (I mean if if there were 5 NA seats in Multan before division, the number of seats remain unchanged after formation of new province)? Please help me. Thank you.

Best wishes
Haroon

PS: A good article: http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/7440/do-we-need-new-provinces/

Not one but perhaps 4 or more provinces out of Punjab, would be better, to my thinking or as AM has suggested that we use divisions as provinces - The large provinces are a threat to the integrity of Pakistan - it is only a matter of time that some reckless politician, hoping to enrich himself or his friends will be able to blackmail Pakistan by threatening to seize control of a province and launch a "liberation" movement based on ethnicity or language or some other idea.

The more the merrier. Im in favour of South Punjab. But it should not be called Seraikistan or anything based one ethnicity. And Sindh needs to be divided as well. I hate the fact that Zardari is kissing the a$$ of Sindhi Nationalists and saying Sindh will never be divided but Punjab will.

the truth is that nawaz sharif controls Punjab mostly, and now Choudrys want half of it, these idiots dont know what they are doing, if they are so sincere then they should allow other provinces to make many more small provinces, why only Punjab.

dont think im being racist because im Punjabi myself.

But you don't see Punjab contains almost 60% population of Pakistan. England in itself is such a small country it still has almost 86 counties. I don't think we should try to politicize or zardari-ize every issue of Pakistan. Division of Punjab into smaller provinces would benefit the people. It's my humble opinion. Thanks

The more the merrier. Im in favour of South Punjab. But it should not be called Seraikistan or anything based one ethnicity. And Sindh needs to be divided as well. I hate the fact that Zardari is kissing the a$$ of Sindhi Nationalists and saying Sindh will never be divided but Punjab will.

And how does that addresses any of the problems people are facing. More provinces means more officials, more corruption and even more problems. In my opinion all provinces should be elimintaed and their should be just one Pakistan. No more provincila giovernments, no more provincial ministers, lesser corruption, lesser burden on economy.

You are only in favour because of certain reasons, but where does it stop. It's like layers of onion. It remains an onion with all layers together, seperated it becomes salad, easily devourable.

There is no separate quota for south Punjab in engg and medical universities in Punjab like in Sindh.... I believe in all these universities bulk of the students come from northern Punjab...

Creating a separate province and quotas will give more chances to seraiki speaking students

There is no separate quota for south Punjab in engg and medical universities in Punjab like in Sindh.... I believe in all these universities bulk of the students come from northern Punjab...

Creating a separate province and quotas will give more chances to seraiki speaking students

Quota system is a merit killer. Instead of eliminating the evil, you are suggesting to strengthening it by creating more provinces. It will be a lot cheaper and beneficial to establiesh 3/4 more universities instead of creating a new province. Suggested solution should address the actual problem, not create more.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies.

I'm also in favor of more provinces. Punjab should be the priority because of its population which is almost 60% of the country. You are right about that university argument. Some days ago I was reading that bulk of Punjab budget is spent on Lahore.

The problem with Pakistanis is that they like to criticize everyone. For instance, when talking about politics, Zardari is scapegoat for all the ills of our society. If you ask me I would say there is not much different between Zardari and Nawaz. The good thing about Zardari is that he is as transparent as water when it comes to corruption! Now most people have realized that Nawaz is also mighty corrupt and hypocrite. And as Pakistanis are concerned, everyone of them has little Zardari and Nawaz hidden inside them. Please don't take any offense because I don't intend to. Thank you.

Regards
Haroon

Quota system is a merit killer. Instead of eliminating the evil, you are suggesting to strengthening it by creating more provinces. It will be a lot cheaper and beneficial to establiesh 3/4 more universities instead of creating a new province. Suggested solution should address the actual problem, not create more.

Do you think students from the southern Punjab can compete with students from Lahore ?

Why has not anything been done to remove theses differences in 60+ years....

Creating a new province will give more opportunities to the people of Southern Punjab

Hi Pro

I think you have indirectly and subconsciously replied to your own objection. For the sake of argument, I take it that quota system is a merit killer (although this system is implemented in many different countries for the 'positive' reasons who I won't go on to state here). Why do you think that student from Southern side cannot compete with Lahori students? Because Lahoris have more opportunities. Right? Why is so? For the sake of welfare of your beloved country, have a think! How can this disparity be addressed?

Best wishes
Haroon

Hi

I was reading this news story:
Regionalisation of the electorate | Opinion | DAWN.COM

Punjab's map: http://justicedeniedpk.com/JDP/image.axd?picture=2009/7/MapLogo.jpg

It seems the writer is quite biased in favor of PML-N. But forget it. I have read that if a new province is formed PML-N would be affected the most. I don't get it. Suppose Punjab is divided between North Punjab and South Punjab. If PML-N was getting a certain number, let's say 55/100, of NA seats in undivided Punjab, then won't it still achieve the same results in divided Punjab assuming the arrangement of the seats is not changed much (I mean if if there were 5 NA seats in Multan before the division, the number of seats remain unchanged after formation of new province)? Please help me. Thank you.

Best wishes
Haroon

PS: A good article: Do we need new provinces? – The Express Tribune Blog

Would you someone please 'seriously' comment on the highlighted part? It's funny on PDF people love to answer unasked question instead of the asked! :)

Regards
Haroon

Back
Top Bottom