What's new

Carpet industry in dire straits as Afghan weavers leave Pakistan

A-Team

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
Peshawar’s fabled carpet markets are already beginning to wear a deserted look because the local carpet-industry is almost entirely manned by Afghan artisans. Among them is Dawood Ahmadi, an Afghan carpet manufacturer and exporter.

“90 percent of the carpet weavers in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa are Afghans,” Ahmadi told News Lens. “With the fast-approaching deadline to leave Pakistan and constant harassment from police they are all leaving.”

@pakistani342 : As I have always maintained the return of the Afghans was long overdue, with them back in the country there will be some very needed skill sets that they can use in Afghanistan to generate income. Most of the Afghans in Pakistan were quite entrepreneurial and this is bound to have some side effects especially in Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa.

Peshawar’s fabled carpet markets are already beginning to wear a deserted look because the local carpet-industry is almost entirely manned by Afghan artisans. Among them is Dawood Ahmadi, an Afghan carpet manufacturer and exporter.

“90 percent of the carpet weavers in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa are Afghans,” Ahmadi told News Lens. “With the fast-approaching deadline to leave Pakistan and constant harassment from police they are all leaving.”

@pakistani342 : As I have always maintained the return of the Afghans was long overdue, with them back in the country there will be some very needed skill sets that they can use in Afghanistan to generate income. Most of the Afghans in Pakistan were quite entrepreneurial and this is bound to have some side effects especially in Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa.

1. yes 1% are entrepreneurial -- which Pakistan should keep (citizenship)
medical graduates
computer science graduates
business owners
2. the 99% are a burden -- which Pakistan should return

No, both states just using refuges without considering human aspect. They live here for decades , kids are going to schools and hospitals. With all due respect if all of them returns , i do not think Kabul government can accommodate them.They have to start a life again from zero. KP and pakistan was big market for carpets .Ego of kabul government hurting the innocents who has nothing to do with there policies.

1. yes 1% are entrepreneurial -- which Pakistan should keep (citizenship)
medical graduates
computer science graduates
business owners
2. the 99% are a burden -- which Pakistan should return

Can you back up this 99 percent figure ? :)

Anyways how do you think these Afghans live in Pakistan? There is not state or UN assistance, they make their living by some sort of a business or go abroad to Dubai or Saudi and send back money to their families in Pakistan.

No, both states just using refuges without considering human aspect. They live here for decades , kids are going to schools and hospitals. With all due respect if all of them returns , i do not think Kabul government can accommodate them.They have to start a life again from zero. KP and pakistan was big market for carpets .Ego of kabul government hurting the innocents who has nothing to do with there policies.

EGO on boths sides ;) have you ever asked why the Afghans are pissed off and not toeing to Pakistani dictates?
Well for starters Pakistan wants a complete control over Afghan foreign policy which of course Afghanistan does not accept and thus the Talis are sent.

Can you point what are other major irritants? Durand Line? That is an international border so what else does GHQ want apart from a complete say in our foreign policy making ?

So you see its not only ego on our side but genuine concerns ;)

/Peace

@pakistani342 he can provide more details on what the Jernails want in Afghanistan :D

Anyways how do you think these Afghans live in Pakistan? There is not state or UN assistance, they make their living by some sort of a business or go abroad to Dubai or Saudi and send back money to their families in Pakistan.

I mean 99% in a casual sense but if you study the entrepreneur ratios in a country of entrepreneurs like the US -- you will find that the figure is not far off. Say it was 95/5 -- the point still remains.

On burden -- if they were a net producer everybody would want them -- most of these folks live a subsistence based existence. They do jobs that could be filled by Pakistanis (most of them) some live such terrible lives that they would be better off in Afghanistan (or at least their misery would not untold in Pakistan).

EGO on boths sides ;) have you ever asked why the Afghans are pissed off and not toeing to Pakistani dictates?
Well for starters Pakistan wants a complete control over Afghan foreign policy which of course Afghanistan does not accept and thus the Talis are sent.

Can you point what are other major irritants? Durand Line? That is an international border so what else does GHQ want apart from a complete say in our foreign policy making ?

So you see its not only ego on our side but genuine concerns ;)

/Peace

@pakistani342 he can provide more details on what the Jernails want in Afghanistan :D
No actually we want you to merge with us and revive the spirit of "Hindukush" mountains.I mean we can live with you.You rule us no problem but expand toward the east we have .My brother ego on your side hurts you more that is what i am trying to say.:cheers:

No actually we want you to merge with us and revive the spirit of "Hindukush" mountains.I mean we can live with you.You rule us no problem but expand toward the east we have .My brother ego on your side hurts you more that is what i am trying to say.:cheers:

@A-Team -- The irony is that Karzai got it right: Conjoined twins -- if that premise is true, the actions of Afghan elite can only be described as schizophrenic

I mean 99% in a casual sense but if you study the entrepreneur ratios in a country of entrepreneurs like the US -- you will find that the figure is not far off. Say it was 95/5 -- the point still remains.

On burden -- if they were a net producer everybody would want them -- most of these folks live a subsistence based existence. They do jobs that could be filled by Pakistanis (most of them) some live such terrible lives that they would be better off in Afghanistan (or at least their misery would not untold in Pakistan).

We will need some feedback on the Jernails though one day :) I am refering most of the case related to them to you, because folks in PDF wont listen to an Afghan dude spilling the beans about the Jernails maybe they will listen to a fellow Pakistani :)

But then again Hussain Haqqani and Ahmed Rashid has been telling this for years but is there anyone listening ?

We will need some feedback on the Jernails though one day :) I am refering most of the case related to them to you, because folks in PDF wont listen to an Afghan dude spilling the beans about the Jernails maybe they will listen to a fellow Pakistani :)

But then again Hussain Haqqani and Ahmed Rashid has been telling this for years but is there anyone listening ?

Pakistani Junails have have wanted Strategic depth -- but can you blame them

Not to defend Pakistani Jurnails but some notes:
1. The Afghan forward policy was formulated by Zulfikar Ali Bhutto -- not Jurnails -- which was to interfere in Afghanistan
2. The Afghan forward policy was formulated (not even put into action) in the early 1970s after more than two decades of Afghan active interference in Pakistan
3. The forward policy continues to this day in various forms
4. Despite the forward policy -- the Jurnails and the Paksitani public have always had a special soft soft for Afghanistan and the Afghan people. You should remember so many Afghans have settled in what is now Pakistan even beyond KPK. General Hamid Gul, General Naseerullah Babar, General Asad Durrani, General Mahmud Ali Durrani are all Pakhtuns.
5. Helping the Afghan Muhajareen was a cause in which every elite/middle class Paksitani family took part in -- raising funds ... etc.

Again not to defend the Pakistani establishment or the Pakistani people or to say that the Pakistani civilian and military establishment are competent -- but the above is more or less verifiable.

Please let me know if I missed something (@A-Team)

Last edited:

Side effects are lowering of rent in Peshawar's Posh area of Hayatabad . :D

You do know the owners of those houses are Pakistanis as well ;) i.e the rent was going somewhere wasnt it :)

Those houses will be filled with People in no time . Here in Abbottabad alot of afghans live . Police came to our house yesterday to ask if there were any afghan's living in the house . Giving away of houses to afghan's is banned these days , if you do you will be in big trouble So it's better if the houses go vacant and local people come in since it's less of a headache

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom