Breaking: 1,200 Turkish troops deployed in Mosul, Iraq

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Follow
CNN Türk ENG‏@CNNTURK_ENG
#BREAKING Security sources tell CNN Türk around 1,200 Turkish troops enter #Bashiqa region in #Mosul, #Iraq.

Ragıp Soylu @ragipsoylu
#BREAKING Senior Turkish official confirms that a Turkish battalion is indeed in Mosul's Bashiqa to join a routine anti-DAESH mil exercise

This is serious news if true, was so out of the blue if true....

What's the reason? I'm assuming it was done in cooperation with Iraqi forces/Kurdish forces otherwise they won't be happy with that?

I was gonna open a thread about this news. Yes, this is legit. Turkey is officially in Mosul now. @TaiShang @Martian2 @Nihonjin1051

Russia steps in Syria, Turkey goes to Mosul. This is not gonna end well.

Edit 1 : In Turkish social media it's said that 66th mechanised infantry brigade has entered Mosul but there is a huge information bombardment right now. No one knows what is really going on.

Edit 2 : This doesn't seem like a direct conflict with ISIS or another force in there. It seems like a training mission.

Last edited:
I was gonna open a thread about this news. Yes, this is legit. Turkey is officially in Mosul now.

I thought there is tensions with Peshmarga/Iraqi government? Apparently this is joint operation by Turkish army and Peshmarga? How likely is that?

Turkish troops in Mosul for training

At least several hundred Turkish soldiers have been deployed to provide training in northern Iraq's Mosul region to the Peshmerga and opposition forces against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a Turkish security source told Reuters on Dec. 4.

"Turkish soldiers have reached the Mosul Bashiqa region. They are there as part of routine training exercises. One battalion has crossed into the region," the source said, declining to say exactly how many soldiers were deployed.

The Turkish soldiers are training Iraqi troops and the members of the U.S.-led anti-ISIL coalition were aware of the deployment, he added.

Turkish troops in Mosul for training - MIDEAST

Turkey trains peshmerga over 3 years but i don't think this is about peshmerga.
Maybe Turkmen-Sunni Arab fighters ?

I questioned Turkey's motives... Now I am not sure...

Well I wonder how Russian media will respond. lol

Turkey trains peshmerga over 3 years but i don't think this is about peshmerga.
Maybe Turkmen-Sunni Arab fighters ?

I originally thought Peshmarga and Turkey didn't get alone. But that's probably PKK and several other Kurdish troops. I also hear there is divide within Kurds, that 'Barzani' is pro-Turkish and the Kurdish people don't like him. Anyways, I agree with your assessment. Maybe Turkey will try making Mosul a ISIS free Sunni state but who will govern it afterwards? Iran and Iraqi government will not agree to that.

PS, there is video of tanks/armor being deployed in Mosul, I don't think it's 'training' mission only.

Turkish soldiers in Iraq's Mosul region to give training - security source| Reuters

At least several hundred Turkish soldiers have been deployed to provide training in northern Iraq's Mosul region and coalition countries targeting Islamic State militants are aware of the move, a Turkish security source told Reuters on Friday.

"Turkish soldiers have reached the Mosul Bashiqa region. They are there as part of routine training exercises. One battalion has crossed into the region," the source said, declining to say exactly how many soldiers were deployed.

The Turkish soldiers are training Iraqi troops, he added.

(Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk; Writing by Daren Butler; Editing by Catherine Evans)

Calm your titties gents. Turkish soldiers were already there, it's just that they are being replaced with slight a reinforcement (around 50 additional soldiers) due to close proximity of ISIS.

Yeap you're right. At first people went berserk about what's going on and there was a huge misinformation. But the event seems pretty regular.

I thought there is tensions with Peshmarga/Iraqi government? Apparently this is joint operation by Turkish army and Peshmarga? How likely is that?

Turkey has good relations with Northern Iraqi government. Kurds are divided. There are many different fractions. Turkey gets along well with pretty much all of them except for PKK and it's proxies.

There were even examples of mutual operations with TSK and Peshmarga against PKK. That's why mutual operations or training missions are not something new with Peshmarga forces.

Last edited:
Russia being pushed/provoked into another devastating decade of defeat like Soviet Union faced in the 1980s.

Let's see how many years the Russians can sustain their military in Syria and a direct confrontation with NATO.

Is Turkey okay with Iraqi Kurds?
Yes, they are our allies. In fact we do good business with them. If you ever visit Northern-Iraq , you will see that most of the buildings there are build by Turkish construction companies etc.. I've heard that apart from the language, you woudnt even notice that its a different country.

Back
Top Bottom