What's new

Bomb blast kills 19 on Pakistan bus

Adnan Faruqi

BANNED
Reaction score
Bomb blast kills 19 on Pakistan bus

Pakistan — A bomb blast ripped through a Pakistani bus on Friday, killing 19 people, including seven women and a child, on the outskirts of the northwestern city of Peshawar, police said.

More than 40 others were wounded in the attack on a bus rented by the government to take staff home after work in the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

It was the deadliest attack in months on Peshawar, which has long been a flashpoint for a local Taliban insurgency targeting government officials, security forces and ordinary civilians.

The city runs into the semi-autonomous tribal belt that US officials consider a safe haven for Al-Qaeda and insurgents fighting both in Pakistan and across the border in Afghanistan.

The explosion went off in the Daudzai area, killing government employees and other private passengers riding the same bus, officials said.

"The bomb was planted under the bus," provincial information minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain told reporters.

Police official Tahir Ayub told AFP 19 people were killed and more than 40 wounded. The dead included 12 government employees and others were private passengers, he said.

Another police official, Shafiullah Khan, said seven women and a girl, aged seven, were among the dead.

The explosion destroyed the back end of the bus. Bloodied pieces of human flesh littered the seats, along with blood-stained clothes on the road lined with juniper trees, an AFP reporter said.

Muhammad Ullah, 48, a police official on the bus, said there was a deafening blast.

"The explosion triggered massive smoke inside the bus but even then we could feel soft and bloody pieces of human flesh hitting our bodies," Ullah told AFP while being treated for head and shoulder injuries.

Arsalan, a junior clerk in the provincial auditor general's office, said he remembered asking the driver to stop at a mosque on the road for main Friday prayers just before the explosion took place.

"I don't remember what happened next because I fainted and (found myself) in a hospital bed," the 28-year-old, also with head and neck injuries, told AFP.

The attack came one day after a remote-controlled bomb killed at least 15 people outside a madrassa in Pakistan's southwestern city of Quetta.

The country of 180 million sits on the frontline of the US-led war on Al-Qaeda and since July 2007 has been gripped by a local Taliban-led insurgency, concentrated largely in the northwest.

In the last five years, attacks blamed on Islamist bombers have killed more than 5,000 people according to an AFP tally.

Pakistan's relations with the United States are in disarray and for the last six months, since US air strikes killed 24 Pakistani soldiers along the border, it has imposed a blockade on NATO supplies crossing overland into Afghanistan.

On Thursday, US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta warned Pakistan that the United States was running out of patience over Islamabad's refusal to do more to eliminate safe havens for insurgents who attack US troops fighting a 10-year war against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Panetta made the strong remarks after talks with Afghan Defence Minister Abdul Rahim Wardak on the latest leg of an Asian tour that took him to Pakistan's arch-rival India, but not Islamabad in a sign of dire US-Pakistan relations.

He singled out the Haqqani network, a Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked faction that has bases in Pakistan's lawless tribal district of North Waziristan and which has been blamed for some of the deadliest attacks of the 10-year war in Afghanistan.

AFP: Bomb blast kills 19 on Pakistan bus

when you don't follow what the Yanks say then you have to pay for the consequences ...

R.I.P. To all the innocent people within Pakistan... I hope you guys take action soon.

Let's not drag this longer then it should be

:coffee: You're creating more militants by droning the tribal agencies. They're not Taliban, but your average Joe that lost his relatives and wants revenge, pretty much.

The insurgents are demanding that the drone attacks be stopped because they are being killed. If we are creating more insurgents they would encourage it not go around killing "spies." Common sense.

RIP to the dead.Pakistan needs to take a decision on whose life they value more the terrorist or the people.

Drone killing, bomb attacks, target killing in karachi reminds me of ULFA, Mumbai in 1990s and Maoists.....innocent people will die everyday unless strict measures are taken.

What could possibly be the motivation behind killing these 19 people?

Anyone who has the power to make you believe in absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.

Rest is peace ... Hope the perpetrators and those who carried out face hell in this world and thereafter

@nick indian.... excuse me???

Isn't it obvious? Pakistanis have become numb to such incidents now. See for yourself: in a thread started yesterday at 8:57 PM, only three Pakistanis have commented so far after about 18 hours.

Here's another example for you. How many Pakistanis do you see there?

http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistans-war/186133-gunmen-kill-4-policemen-southwest-pakistan.html

Either it is load-shedding or Pakistanis have become used to such incidents. Pick one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom