What's new

Blast in Benazir procession more than 138 people died

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Two explosions occurred late Thursday close to the truck carrying Benazir Bhutto in a huge procession in Pakistan but the former prime minister was unhurt, police said. “There were two explosions of low intensity and some people are injured,” a Karachi police officer told AFP. He said it was not immediately clear what caused the blast, which witnesses said caused a stampede. (First Posted @ 00:20 PST Updated @ 00:44 PST)

- DAWN - Latest Stories; October 18, 2007

there are only 25 injured right now 13 in critical condition ! no one has died yet.

Regards
Wilco

why couldn't benazir take a helicopter ??? :hitwall:

that way the tragedy could have been avoided...

was it a suicide attack by any chance ???

after her arrival she should have just gone home by a helicopter

Madam brings nothing but instability, fear, and death. All when she says for "kapra & makan".

Altaf Hussains' reign of Terror continues in Karachi ( with the blessings of Mush )

This is disgrace. Now who could have done this. I actually did not mind Bhutto coming. Now i have a problem.:pakistan:

Altaf Hussains' reign of Terror continues in Karachi ( with the blessings of Mush )

Give me a break!

The darn BB was warned not to return, but she has to.

I understand that power is an attraction, but for god sakes think about the millions of people who you are putting danger to.

Then there are things like corruption and ruling like a dictator because it is a threat to your power.

Altaf Hussains guys dont bomb, they either use Kalashnikov or a ghora, and as far as i remember. Altaf welcomed BB to Karachi.

However, making stupid claims like this........ doesn't add any valid point to the discussion, but it does make a fool out of oneself!

Of course! what a piece of brilliant political insight! Heres another one with equal validity!
SHe set it up to show how she is a target of the Taleban!

See anyone can make up stuff if they want!

Let me add to that.

Reasons for such an attack.

United States support for BB.

Allowing United States to enter in Pakistan to attack on Taliban (like we dont have an army!)

Making Pakistan a slave for the United States.

All of that, just for power.

When will people realize that if Benazir comes to power.. the attacks will increase? double or may be tripled?

The best bet is PML-Q.

Vote for them.

Altaf Hussain the terrorist is responsible for this attrocity in Karachi.

Like it or not Altaf rules the roost in Karachi and like the May 12th killing this too has been done by him with wink wink nod nod from Mushy ( Mushy & MQM go hand in hand )
These blast set the precedent for declaring martial law!

meaning Mushy will be back in the driving seat and Altaf terrorist will get a pat on the back and rewarded by orchestrating this attack and blaming it on the tribals!

----------------------------------------------------------------

No evidence Baitullah threatened suicide attack

By Rahimullah Yusufzai

PESHAWAR: Did Baitullah Mehsud, the commander of Taliban fighters in South Waziristan, really threaten suicide attacks targeting Benazir Bhutto?

Members of his group have expressed ignorance about any such threat and the pro-MMA Senator Maulana Saleh Shah, who was reported to have made a statement about Baitullah Mehsud’s plan to ‘welcome’ Benazir Bhutto upon her return to Pakistan with a suicide bombing, has already issued a denial.

The threatened suicide bombing has been widely reported by the domestic and international media. It was taken seriously and became the major reason for undertaking extraordinary security measures for the expected arrival of Benazir Bhutto at Karachi airport on Thursday and during the, subsequent, procession that she was scheduled to lead. It also prompted her and her party to seek special jamming devices and foolproof security measures to foil any terrorist attack on her.

However, there is no evidence that Baitullah Mehsud has issued any threat to target Benazir Bhutto. Members of his group in South Waziristan and Tank said they were unaware that a threat was issued.

Requesting anonymity, they pointed out that Baitullah Mehsud, in the rare statements that he has issued till now, never made any such threat. They said his spokesman, Zulfiqar Mehsud, too, had not made any threat of suicide bombing at Benazir Bhutto.

The threat was first reported in a section of the press and the news item quoted Maulana Saleh Shah, member of the Senate from South Waziristan. An English language newspaper (not The News) in a front page story quoted the Maulana as saying that Baitullah Mehsud would ‘welcome’ Benazir Bhutto with a suicide bombing due to her provocative utterances against the Taliban and other militants. The Maulana was quick to issue a denial which was published in some newspapers.

Talking to The News, he even claimed that the reporter in question accepted his mistake and apologized to him after he confronted him and questioned the veracity of the report. “I was quoted out of context. I didn’t say all that was published in my name,” he argued.

However, sources said Maulana Saleh Shah, who belongs to Maulana Fazlur Rahman’s JUI-F, made some comments about the possibility of suicide bombings targeting Benazir Bhutto once she returned to Pakistan. As he has been meeting the elusive Baitullah Mehsud in his South Waziristan hideouts as part of tribal Jirgas that mediate between the militants and the government, it is normally assumed that he has access to the militants and their military commanders and enjoys their trust.

On a number of occasions, he has proved a timely source of information for the media about the events in South Waziristan. But the recent reports from South Waziristan suggest that Maulana Saleh Shah has lost some of that trust.

As Baitullah Mehsud and his spokesmen have made no statements threatening suicide attacks on Benazir Bhutto, one may well ask whether one should give credence to a statement made on their behalf by someone else. In this case, that ‘someone else’ is Senator Maulana Saleh Shah and he, too, has denied making any such statement on behalf of Baitullah Mehsud.

Reporters covering Waziristan, particularly those based in Wana, Miranshah, Tank and Dera Ismail Khan, pointed out that the only source of information for the tribal militants is radio, mostly the Pashto and Urdu services of BBC. “As the statement quoting Senator Maulana Saleh Shah wasn’t aired by any radio station and was only reported in an English newspaper, Baitullah Mehsud and his men seem to be unaware that he reportedly threatened Benazir Bhutto with suicide attack upon her arrival,” one of the reporters Irfan Burki based in Tank said.

Another reporter, Dilawar Wazir, who is based in Dera Ismail Khan, added that the militants don’t know what is being published about them in the newspapers or broadcast on television channels.

Though it is clear that Baitullah Mehsud hasn’t threatened Benazir Bhutto with suicide bombing, one should keep in mind that anyone intending to launch such an attack would not brag about it publicly. Benazir Bhutto has provoked the militants and Jihadis with some of her recent pro-US and anti-al-Qaeda and anti-Taliban statements and one should, therefore, not rule out the possibility of suicide bombings targeting her. But that could happen once she is in power and has the authority to order military operations against the militants. At present, she doesn’t possess the authority to cause harm to the militants and it appears that the latter would prefer to wait and see as to how she acts once she is in power.

Now I'm not saying Altaf Hussain has never killed anyone. I just wanted to get an opinion. Now friend I agree with you. Altaf Hussain has been the enemy of karachi youth but I still don't think but I still think that this is planned by BB.:pakistan:

:welcome:, to Pakistan BB.

I really don't care who did it. She was warned not to go through a slow-moving crowd and now about 50 people are dead because of her.

Back
Top Bottom