What's new

Benigno Aquino refuses resignation of aide over fund scandal

Edison Chen

Reaction score
Country
China
a2aaa15f6eabb1f13230cdd74ee09605.jpg

Philippine President Benigno Aquino yesterday rejected a resignation offer from his budget secretary after the top court declared the government's discretionary fund illegal in the biggest test yet for its battle against graft.

Aquino came to power in 2010 on the promise of transparency, good governance and battling corruption to lift the Philippines from poverty.

But he has struggled to shed the country's image as one of the most corrupt in Asia as he continues to defend his allies while chasing down politicians, bureaucrats and generals associated with the former administration.

On Thursday, Florencio "Butch" Abad handed his resignation letter to Aquino to save the government from growing criticism over the use of 150 billion pesos (HK$27 billion) in discretionary funds from 2011 to 2013.

"I have decided not to accept his resignation," Aquino told a cabinet meeting during the annual budget presentation. "To accept his resignation is to assign to him a wrong, and I cannot accept the notion that doing right by our people is a wrong."

Aquino has yet to comment on the court's decision, but his spokesmen defended him, saying the president had done nothing wrong and everything was done in good faith. His popularity rating is expected to plunge over the issue.

The resignation came a week after the top court unanimously declared unconstitutional Aquino's move to impound executive funds and their distribution to lawmakers. The government says the funds were spent to stimulate the economy.

Abad, the president's campaign manager and closest adviser, was facing corruption charges for setting up the president's discretionary fund, called the Disbursement Acceleration Programme, in 2011 to fund lawmakers' projects.

Critics say the government used the fund as a tool to gain control of Congress, accusing lawmakers of misusing some of the money. Three opposition senators have been detained and face plunder charges in the anti-graft court.

Yesterday, the court entered a not-guilty plea in the arraignment of Juan Ponce Enrile, a 90-year-old senator. Two other senators, Ramon "Bong" Revilla and Jose "Jinggoy" Estrada, are being detained at a police camp while on trial for corruption.

Yesterday, the court entered a not-guilty plea in the arraignment of Juan Ponce Enrile, a 90-year-old senator. Two other senators, Ramon "Bong" Revilla and Jose "Jinggoy" Estrada, are being detained at a police camp while on trial for corruption.

A 90 year old senator? Dear God ! He should have resigned years ago and enjoyed the golden years of his dotage...!

I always thought he just used the China seas to distract the public, then I see all this support and people saying he isn't corrupt and I think maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not.

I think, to keep his position as a senator is the best way to hide his scandals.

I just researched this guy, apparently he has a history of corruption. He is a relative of Ferdinand Marcos.

This guy needs to be sacked.

The Philippines and the Filipino people deserve so much better than this kind of trash.

I think, to keep his position as a senator is the best way to hide his scandals.

Same in the case of Bo Xilai and other corrupt Chinese Officials.

I just researched this guy, apparently he has a history of corruption. He is a relative of Ferdinand Marcos.

This guy needs to be sacked.

The Philippines and the Filipino people deserve so much better than this kind of trash.

Same in the case of Bo Xilai and other corrupt Chinese Officials.

Although Philippines is a true American colony, they have US style political system and democracy, they are still the most corrupted country. Because they are lawless.

I mean, the longer he is at this position, the more power he gets, the safer he is. Bo Xilai is another story.

Although Philippines is a true American colony, they have US style political system and democracy, they are still the most corrupted country. Because they are lawless.

I mean, the longer he is at this position, the more power he gets, the safer he is. Bo Xilai is another story.

First of all, a lot of their system as based on the Spanish gobernadorcillo system. For almost half a millenia, the Philippines was a Spanish provincia. Second, they are not a colony of the United States. Lastly, the country is not lawless. I have been tot he Philippines many times and am even considering buying property in Cebu, where I have some friends (Japanese) who have property there as well.

Try not to troll post and negate , without researching. You most probably have never been to the Philippines, so what you know about them is through media reports. First hand account is always different, my man.

We do have laws mind you. It's just a lot of Filipinos are scared to go against these corrupt officials. What can the Filipinos do when even they are scared of their own police or in other places the police are scared of a specific powerful family. Sometimes I do wish America would give us the type of democracy they gave to Afghanistan and Iraq, ie a tomahawk on these corrupted rats of our society.

We do have laws mind you. It's just a lot of Filipinos are scared to go against these corrupt officials. What can the Filipinos do when even they are scared of their own police or in other places the police are scared of a specific powerful family. Sometimes I do wish America would give us the type of democracy they gave to Afghanistan and Iraq, ie a tomahawk on these corrupted rats of our society.

@JayMandan ,

From what i hear, in the Philippines, there is a system called 'Hari Hari" ? (spelling?). Acts of preferentiality is observed by some smaller ranking government officials. This is what I was told by the DILG in Cebu when i was inquiring about residential law. I mean, i didn't mind because i only gave about 1,000 pesos to get the attorney to give me a legal counsel.

@JayMandan ,

From what i hear, in the Philippines, there is a system called 'Hari Hari" ? (spelling?). Acts of preferentiality is observed by some smaller ranking government officials. This is what I was told by the DILG in Cebu when i was inquiring about residential law. I mean, i didn't mind because i only gave about 1,000 pesos to get the attorney to give me a legal counsel.
It basically means the people, authorities, public officials of a city, bows to a powerful family. That is very common anywhere in the Philippines. Hari means King.

First of all, a lot of their system as based on the Spanish gobernadorcillo system. For almost half a millenia, the Philippines was a Spanish provincia. Second, they are not a colony of the United States. Lastly, the country is not lawless. I have been tot he Philippines many times and am even considering buying property in Cebu, where I have some friends (Japanese) who have property there as well.

Try not to troll post and negate , without researching. You most probably have never been to the Philippines, so what you know about them is through media reports. First hand account is always different, my man.
lawless is relative, compare to Congo, it's not that bad, but compared to China and Japan, it may as well be lawless.

Philippines was a colony of the US.

Philippines is what it is, trying to paint it as something else is just as biased. I mean since Philippine isn't an anarchy obviously it has laws, but so does Mexico. You know how many body guards Pacman has? You know why he needs them? You know how many Yao has? Or any other Chinese athletes? None.

Lol. This is why it's so hard to take some SE Asians seriously. No sense of self-respect, no concept of sovereignty, and a delusional faith in the white man to "make things better". While you are so enamored with the democracy that the US imposed on Afghanistan and Iraq, take a look at how wonderfully those countries have panned out with the aid of their perfect political system :).

Lol. This is why it's so hard to take some SE Asians seriously. No sense of self-respect, no concept of sovereignty, and a delusional faith in the white man to "make things better". While you are so enamored with the democracy that the US imposed on Afghanistan and Iraq, take a look at how wonderfully those countries have panned out with the aid of their perfect political system :).
How about this, mind your own business.

It basically means the people, authorities, public officials of a city, bows to a powerful family. That is very common anywhere in the Philippines. Hari means King.

Thank you for clarifying with me the meaning of the world 'Hari'. In that regards, there is much similarity between Japan and the Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom