What's new

Belgium Burka Ban: Diplomat Rips off Qatari Princess' Niqab

Raphael

Reaction score
Country
China
Belgium Burka Ban: Diplomat Rips off Qatari Princess' Niqab - Yahoo News UK

A senior Brussels diplomat and chief of protocol has admitted to removing the veil of a Qatari princess by force.

Jean-Marie Pire, 60, is employed by the Brussels council to welcome foreign dignitaries to the Belgian capital and heart of the European Union.

He was approached by the wealthy woman and two female companions in central Brussels, asking for directions to the famous Grand Palace when the diplomat removed the woman's niqab, a black full-face veil.

"I said I don't talk to anyone if I can't see their face," said Pire. "With this reply, I wanted to make it clear that the veil is banned in Belgium.

"Because the person asking me a question didn't seem to hear me, I lifted her veil. I know I shouldn't have done that, but what she did wasn't legal either!"

The woman, who has not been named, claimed Pire violently ripped her earrings when trying to take off her niqab, causing cuts and bruises to the victim.

As well as its neighbour France, Belgium banned face-coverings in 2012, imposing fines for wearing veils in what is widely known as the "burka ban".

Local officials have already given the unnamed woman a €125 fine for breaching the ban on face-coverings. She also faces up to seven days in prison for wearing the garment in public.

There is currently no ban on veils in Britain but some Conversative MPs have called for such a law.

'We will never have a fully functioning, fully integrated multi-cultural society if growing numbers of our citizens go around with their faces covered,' Conservative MP Philip Hollobone has previously argued.

--------------------

Don't scroll down to the comments guys, unless you want to read about bigots voicing their approval for a racially/religiously motivated assault.

Arab princesses should do some research before they travel. They should go to UK, its safer there. No wonder Arabs, particularly Qataris have invested so heavily in London real estate.

Belgium Burka Ban: Diplomat Rips off Qatari Princess' Niqab - Yahoo News UK

A senior Brussels diplomat and chief of protocol has admitted to removing the veil of a Qatari princess by force.

Jean-Marie Pire, 60, is employed by the Brussels council to welcome foreign dignitaries to the Belgian capital and heart of the European Union.

He was approached by the wealthy woman and two female companions in central Brussels, asking for directions to the famous Grand Palace when the diplomat removed the woman's niqab, a black full-face veil.

"I said I don't talk to anyone if I can't see their face," said Pire. "With this reply, I wanted to make it clear that the veil is banned in Belgium.

"Because the person asking me a question didn't seem to hear me, I lifted her veil. I know I shouldn't have done that, but what she did wasn't legal either!"

The woman, who has not been named, claimed Pire violently ripped her earrings when trying to take off her niqab, causing cuts and bruises to the victim.

As well as its neighbour France, Belgium banned face-coverings in 2012, imposing fines for wearing veils in what is widely known as the "burka ban".

Local officials have already given the unnamed woman a €125 fine for breaching the ban on face-coverings. She also faces up to seven days in prison for wearing the garment in public.

There is currently no ban on veils in Britain but some Conversative MPs have called for such a law.

'We will never have a fully functioning, fully integrated multi-cultural society if growing numbers of our citizens go around with their faces covered,' Conservative MP Philip Hollobone has previously argued.

--------------------

Don't scroll down to the comments guys, unless you want to read about bigots voicing their approval for a racially/religiously motivated assault.
Belgium basically asked for trouble

If you see somebody doing something illegal, call the authorities... this guy should be prosecuted for bodily harm and vigilantism.

Arab princesses should do some research before they travel. They should go to UK, its safer there. No wonder Arabs, particularly Qataris have invested so heavily in London real estate.
Some times it is pure arrogance, which is not uncommon at all among the Arabs especially those belonging to the rich or ruling families. She would be notified about the law right at the airport upon arrival, still she decided not to abide the law. That being said, what the officer did was pure unprofessional and should be prosecuted as per law.

Some times it is pure arrogance, which is not uncommon at all among the Arabs especially those belonging to the rich or ruling families. She would be notified about the law right at the airport upon arrival, still she decided not to abide the law. That being said, what the officer did was pure unprofessional and should be prosecuted as per law.
one cannot presume arrogance, not everybody knows local laws when they arrive in a foreign country.

If someone breaks a law you report to them Police not take law into your own hands. On the other hand it also shows deep hatred and resentment against Muslims by some Europeans. As I have said before extremism is on the rise all over world. People just can't seem to tolerate fellow human beings. This is pathetic, humanity is going down the drain.

It is not fair for you to judge the nation because of the act of one official.

Actually the rest of Western Europe including Nordic states are far safer for everyone. UK is more popular because UK puts up with a lot of crap that immigrants bring that the others dont apart from being a financial center (London) offering great RoI.

If someone breaks a law you report to them Police not take law into your own hands. On the other hand it also shows deep hatred and resentment against Muslims by some Europeans. As I have said before extremism is on the rise all over world. People just can't seem to tolerate fellow human beings. This is pathetic, humanity is going down the drain.

Hatred for Muslims has never bothered me until now, I find it's increasing at an alarming rate.

In fact, it's not just increasing, it's being made public, as if it's a normal political stance to vilify an entire religion and it's followers.
I don't know how the moderate Muslims can do anything to reverse this trend.

I don't know how the moderate Muslims can do anything to reverse this trend.

Sorry to say but this Muslim Council of Britain is too lazy, they are supposed to represent most of Muslims in UK. All I have seen is that MCB is always busy with infighting between, Bengalis, Pakistanis and Indian Muslims.

Sorry to say but this Muslim Council of Britain is too lazy, they are supposed to represent most of Muslims in UK. All I have seen is that MCB is always busy with infighting between, Bengalis, Pakistanis and Indian Muslims.

MCB is like an irrelevant entity. Quilliam has done more for us than all the Imams and righteous council members combined. A lead needs to be taken by intellectuals, educated youth. I tried a while ago at university to get the Islamic society to collaborate with the student union Islamic societies at other universities across England, and raise awareness of this problem within our own community and bring about necessary action.

A huge effort is needed, huge and prolonged.

MCB is like an irrelevant entity. Quilliam has done more for us than all the Imams and righteous council members combined. A lead needs to be taken by intellectuals, educated youth. I tried a while ago at university to get the Islamic society to collaborate with the student union Islamic societies at other universities across England, and raise awareness of this problem within our own community and bring about necessary action.

A huge effort is needed, huge and prolonged.
May i proffer a suggestion...I would personally think it would happen automatically when Muslims start treating non-Muslims as equals in their own countries. Stop discriminating against them. That would be the real trigger to change peoples attitudes.

The old days are gone when information was easy to control, globally people today read what happens in KSA, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq etc and they wonder about equality. Is it something that they must give and never get in return?

Back
Top Bottom