What's new

BD-Burma Relations

Bangladesh to send home thousands of Burmese refugees

Rights groups say Rohingya Muslims have fled religious persecution
Burma has agreed to repatriate 9,000 Rohingya Muslims from Bangladesh, the Bangladeshi government has said.

Foreign Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes made the announcement in Dhaka after meeting his Burmese counterpart, who is on a two-day official visit.

The bilateral is also expected to cover trade deals and maritime boundaries.

Human rights groups say Rohingya Muslims have fled religious persecution in Burma and do not want to return to their home country.

Many refugees lack adequate food and sanitation
Many are said to have nowhere to live and suffer "dire conditions".

Burma has assured Bangladesh it will begin the process of repatriation "as soon as possible", Mr Quayes said, after meeting Maung Myint, Burma's foreign minister.

He said Bangladesh had handed over a list of 28,000 Rohingyas to Burma, which had accepted that 9,000 people on the list were its citizens.

Dhaka says there are nearly 30,000 Rohingyas in two official camps in south-eastern Bangladesh, and another 300,000 living illegally elsewhere.

Correspondents say Tuesday's announcement offers a partial solution to a problem that dates back 30 years.

Rohingyas began fleeing Burma in the late 1970s, although the biggest influx was in 1992 when an estimated 250,000 fled to Bangladesh.

Human rights groups say the Burmese junta discriminates against the Rohingyas' Islamic faith, depriving them of free movement, education and employment.

Earlier this year Rohingya refugees tried to escape Burma to other Asian countries, including Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

BBC News - Bangladesh to send home thousands of Burmese refugees

Myanmar 'to take back 9,000 Rohingyas' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Myanmar 'to take back 9,000 Rohingyas'
Tue, Dec 29th, 2009 6:58 pm BdST

Dhaka, Dec 29 (bdnews24.com)柚yanmar has agreed to repatriate 9,000 out of 28,000 registered Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh "as soon as possible", foreign secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes said on Tuesday.

He also said a Myanmar delegation would arrive in Dhaka to hold talks on maritime boundary demarcation on Jan 8 and 9.

Quayes was speaking at the end of the first day of foreign-secretary level talks. Quayes' counterpart, Myanmar's deputy foreign minister Maung Myint, arrived in Dhaka Monday to lead his side in the two-day bilateral talks.

The two sides also discussed import of gas and electricity from Myanmar, but no specific commitment came on the issues, Quayes said.

Myanmar did agree to offer one year's multiple entry visa for Bangladeshi businessmen, the secretary said.

'ILLEGAL REFUGEES'

Quayes said Bangladesh stressed at the first day's consultation that it would not register as refugees illegal Myanmar nationals who intruded for "economic causes".

He told reporters at the foreign ministry: "We have put pressure on Myanmar for the repatriation of the registered refugees in Bangladesh and they have assured us that they will start as soon as possible."

"Out of the 28,000 registered refugees, Myanmar has identified 9,000 through verification as their citizens.

"Their repatriation will start within the shortest possible times," said the foreign secretary.

He also added that increasing number of Myanmar nationals had been sneaking into Bangladesh for "economic" reasons.

Quayes said he visited the two refugee camps in Cox's Bazar district last week. The foreign secretary said besides the two camps, there are many makeshift thatched houses.

"The UNHCR has told us that the people living in the makeshift houses are unregistered Myanmar nationals.

"But since they intruded for economic reasons, they don't fall in the definition of refugees.

"So, we will not sign any deal with the UNHCR for them," he said.

About 500,000 of the Muslim Rohingyas fled into Bangladesh from the Northern Rakhain state in the 1990s as the military junta launched a crackdown on its minority populations.

Bangladesh with the help of the UNHCR sent most of the registered refugees back to their homeland over the years. But 28,000 Rohingyas refused to return fearing further repression there.

Local administrations in Bangladesh also say most of the previously repatriated refugees have returned since.

Bangladesh, meanwhile, sent a list of the 28,000 to Myanmar for their repatriation. The Myanmar authorities are in the process of verifying their identities預 precondition for taking them back.

It has already identified of 9,000 refugees as their citizens while the identities of rest of the 19,000 refugees are yet to be confirmed.

Some international observers have proposed Bangladesh integrate the Rohingya. But Dhaka has rejected the suggestion, saying such a move would open a floodgate of refugees.

GAS, POWER

Quayes said Mayanmar had informed Bangladesh that it cannot offer gas at present.

"They will sell us gas if they discover new reserves," he said.

The foreign secretary said the neighbouring state had agreed to go for a joint hydro electric venture with Bangladesh, to be located over a Myanmar river.

"The energy ministry will work on it," he said.

Myanmar 'to take back 9,000 Rohingyas' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Myanmar 'to take back 9,000 Rohingyas'
Tue, Dec 29th, 2009 6:58 pm BdST

Dhaka, Dec 29 (bdnews24.com)柚yanmar has agreed to repatriate 9,000 out of 28,000 registered Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh "as soon as possible", foreign secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes said on Tuesday.

He also said a Myanmar delegation would arrive in Dhaka to hold talks on maritime boundary demarcation on Jan 8 and 9.

Quayes was speaking at the end of the first day of foreign-secretary level talks. Quayes' counterpart, Myanmar's deputy foreign minister Maung Myint, arrived in Dhaka Monday to lead his side in the two-day bilateral talks.

The two sides also discussed import of gas and electricity from Myanmar, but no specific commitment came on the issues, Quayes said.

Myanmar did agree to offer one year's multiple entry visa for Bangladeshi businessmen, the secretary said.

'ILLEGAL REFUGEES'

Quayes said Bangladesh stressed at the first day's consultation that it would not register as refugees illegal Myanmar nationals who intruded for "economic causes".

He told reporters at the foreign ministry: "We have put pressure on Myanmar for the repatriation of the registered refugees in Bangladesh and they have assured us that they will start as soon as possible."

"Out of the 28,000 registered refugees, Myanmar has identified 9,000 through verification as their citizens.

"Their repatriation will start within the shortest possible times," said the foreign secretary.

He also added that increasing number of Myanmar nationals had been sneaking into Bangladesh for "economic" reasons.

Quayes said he visited the two refugee camps in Cox's Bazar district last week. The foreign secretary said besides the two camps, there are many makeshift thatched houses.

"The UNHCR has told us that the people living in the makeshift houses are unregistered Myanmar nationals.

"But since they intruded for economic reasons, they don't fall in the definition of refugees.

"So, we will not sign any deal with the UNHCR for them," he said.

About 500,000 of the Muslim Rohingyas fled into Bangladesh from the Northern Rakhain state in the 1990s as the military junta launched a crackdown on its minority populations.

Bangladesh with the help of the UNHCR sent most of the registered refugees back to their homeland over the years. But 28,000 Rohingyas refused to return fearing further repression there.

Local administrations in Bangladesh also say most of the previously repatriated refugees have returned since.

Bangladesh, meanwhile, sent a list of the 28,000 to Myanmar for their repatriation. The Myanmar authorities are in the process of verifying their identities預 precondition for taking them back.

It has already identified of 9,000 refugees as their citizens while the identities of rest of the 19,000 refugees are yet to be confirmed.

Some international observers have proposed Bangladesh integrate the Rohingya. But Dhaka has rejected the suggestion, saying such a move would open a floodgate of refugees.

GAS, POWER

Quayes said Mayanmar had informed Bangladesh that it cannot offer gas at present.

"They will sell us gas if they discover new reserves," he said.

The foreign secretary said the neighbouring state had agreed to go for a joint hydro electric venture with Bangladesh, to be located over a Myanmar river.

"The energy ministry will work on it," he said.

Good to see that dialogue between the two nations are culminating results. Personally, i think this will help to calm the situation. And ya, no offence to anyone but thanks to the last three posters for bringing the discussion back on the topic. Or else i was lost in the Bangladesh-India "MARKET" war.

But just a random thought, do you guys think this SUDDEN friendliness from Myanmar is a mere formality? I am sorry if i sound ignorant but who knows whats going on in the Junta's brain. I wont be suprised if they come for the waters again.

Cheers!!!

Good to see that dialogue between the two nations are culminating results. Personally, i think this will help to calm the situation. And ya, no offence to anyone but thanks to the last three posters for bringing the discussion back on the topic. Or else i was lost in the Bangladesh-India "MARKET" war.

But just a random thought, do you guys think this SUDDEN friendliness from Myanmar is a mere formality? I am sorry if i sound ignorant but who knows whats going on in the Junta's brain. I wont be suprised if they come for the waters again.

Cheers!!!

It could be.It could also be a strategy to buy time,so they can prepare in the meantime.

If I am not wrong, just after a top Burmese General made a goodwill visit to BD,the first naval stand off between BD and Burma occurred.That's in 2007,during caretaker govt.

I know they will come back for territory,if everything doesn't go in their way in the UN.They won't let go so vast amount of resources so easily.

It could be.It could also be a strategy to buy time,so they can prepare in the meantime.

If I am not wrong, just after a top Burmese General made a goodwill visit to BD,the first naval stand off between BD and Burma occurred.That's in 2007,during caretaker govt.

I know they will come back for territory,if everything doesn't go in their way in the UN.They won't let go so vast amount of resources so easily.

Yes leon, you are correct about the 2007 naval stand off. See its not actually hard to understand that whenever "good" happens between BD-Burma.... something unexpected will follow.....and i fear something big is cooking in their brain this time.

Also if you guys notice, for this particular rohingya issue, we were almost at war in 1991. Even after that there has been no eye-catching news about Burma taking back rohinyas. So many years passed by and now....after a naval stand off and a tension between the border....push-in-push backs.....amassing troops by border....... guess what happens.....suddenly Junta gets the feeling of HUMANITY, after around 18 years, and they decide to take back their people. WOW....:devil: Things are really not adding up my friend:disagree:

Cheers!!!

Yes leon, you are correct about the 2007 naval stand off. See its not actually hard to understand that whenever "good" happens between BD-Burma.... something unexpected will follow.....and i fear something big is cooking in their brain this time.

Also if you guys notice, for this particular rohingya issue, we were almost at war in 1991. Even after that there has been no eye-catching news about Burma taking back rohinyas. So many years passed by and now....after a naval stand off and a tension between the border....push-in-push backs.....amassing troops by border....... guess what happens.....suddenly Junta gets the feeling of HUMANITY, after around 18 years, and they decide to take back their people. WOW....:devil: Things are really not adding up my friend:disagree:

Cheers!!!

Things are not adding up.....that's the key word.
We have to continue peaceful discussion and at the same time strengthen our defence.
Even in 1991,they attacked our territory,but had to back off because the we had a stronger army in comparison to them at that time.Our tanks,frigates,fighters were new at that time.But today these are older,because only few additions were made after democratic Govts. came to power.But Burmese Junta in the meantime outspent us and are now in a position of strength.
When they can call the Rohingyas as "monkey",because of their skin color,I wonder what they call us.So we can't put 100% faith on them.

In time we will see whether our PM Hasina acts like PM Nevile Chamberlain or Sir Winston Churchill.

We have to continue peaceful discussion and at the same time strengthen our defence.
Even in 1991,they attacked our territory,but had to back off because the we had a stronger army in comparison to them at that time.Our tanks,frigates,fighters were new at that time.But today these are older,because only few additions were made after democratic Govts. came to power.But Burmese Junta in the meantime outspent us and are now in a position of strength.
When they can call the Rohingyas as "monkey",because of their skin color,I wonder what they call us.So we can't put 100% faith on them.

In time we will see whether our PM Hasina acts like PM Nevile Chamberlain or Sir Winston Churchill.

Yes, sadly you are right. I wish our leaders had some brains to comprehend what a THREAT really means....:tdown: "what goes around....comes around...." - very true saying.

When will they ever understand that even rohingyas were born from their own burmese mothers. :disagree:

The longer I view this thread the more I feel that BD is being drawn into a conflict with Burma through indirect pressure by the US and India but on differing grounds. China seems the only country applying diplomatic force on Burma not to destabilize the region. The BD government seems also to be tilting towards China to prevent a conflict and to balance India. I think this is a good idea but Hasina's constant shifting of position will get her in trouble. If she rejects transit facilities to India expect war and if she allows transit expect a civil war. I still consider it a mistake for the AL to have given away so much to India in the early days of this administration and now to back track will make them no friends at all. Even the Americans are frustrated with the policies of the government. Hasina now finds herself in a very complicated situation much like her father.

I am not saying that we should not be wary of Burma but we are losing sight of the larger strategic picture. This government has opened itself to attack on all sides and not just Burma.

But right now Burma is our main threat.....and our 'country-loving' government better keeps that in mind.....:whistle:

The longer I view this thread the more I feel that BD is being drawn into a conflict with Burma through indirect pressure by the US and India but on differing grounds. China seems the only country applying diplomatic force on Burma not to destabilize the region. The BD government seems also to be tilting towards China to prevent a conflict and to balance India. I think this is a good idea but Hasina's constant shifting of position will get her in trouble. If she rejects transit facilities to India expect war and if she allows transit expect a civil war. I still consider it a mistake for the AL to have given away so much to India in the early days of this administration and now to back track will make them no friends at all. Even the Americans are frustrated with the policies of the government. Hasina now finds herself in a very complicated situation much like her father.

You have summed it up perfectly what I was going to say. I may add one thing though. With Hasina being cornered, that gives indians leverage to blackmail her further. We have seen that trend during interim regime, when interim regime was cornered, india tried to take advantage of situation.

This particular incident of about turn by Myanmar right after general visit was due to the unrest by Buddhist monks in Myanmar. Apparently (confirmed by more than one sources), Moin-Fokruddin regime had facilitated some Buddhist monks from CTG/CHT region to play key role in the unrest in Myanmar. Myanmar found out about it and for obvious reason took aggressive stand after that. It’s worth noting Myanmar second highest person in power when visited Bangladesh did go to Buddhist monetary in CHT showing importance and influences these monks have across the borders.

But right now Burma is our main threat.....and our 'country-loving' government better keeps that in mind.....:whistle:

Keeping that in mind alone will not serve the interest. While we have to pursue fostering very good relation we also have to do four things at same time to protect our interest.

1) Prepare for the perceived threats from Myanmar aggressive military purchase. As discussed in other thread, Awami govt has not taken any step to counter Myanmar military purchase.

2) At the same time we have strategic interest to build roads, exploit energy and power sources and have rather a friendly relation with Myanmar.

3) On top of it, as Munshi bahi mentioned, we have to withstand markin pressure and active indian instigation to create animosity between Myanmar and Bangladesh.

4) Resolve maritime dispute.

If one recall, Myanmar provided transit and refueling facility for Bangladesh F-7s when those were en route from China. Myanmar was talking about providing land for contract farming and building dam for electricity. We have to show them that’s where their best interest are, not outside instigation.

@^post

Yes, right, I also said like u @ post#296 in this thread.

You have summed it up perfectly what I was going to say. I may add one thing though. With Hasina being cornered, that gives indians leverage to blackmail her further. We have seen that trend during interim regime, when interim regime was cornered, india tried to take advantage of situation.

The denial by the Indian High Commissioner that two accused in the Sheikh Mujibur Rahman murder case are not in fact held in an Indian jail I think indicates the trend you suggest. Also the postponement of the India trip by Hasina does not look good. If it is cancelled again expect political fireworks.

Back
Top Bottom