What's new

BD-Burma Relations

Myanmar, Bangladesh seek promotion of trade
YANGON, May 16 (Xinhua) -- Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dr. DipuMoni, who is currently on an official visit to Myanmar, held talks with her Myanmar counterpart U Nyan Win in Nay Pyi Taw Friday covering promotion of bilateral trade and mutually beneficial cooperation between the two countries.

The two foreign ministers had the discussions shortly after Moni arrived the new capital Friday on an official visit to Myanmar.

Besides calling on Myanmar Prime Minister General Thein Sein, Moni also met with Myanmar Minister of Energy Brigadier-General Lun Thi and Minister of Home Affairs Major-General Maung Oo on theday.

Moni's visit came after a joint trade commission of Myanmar and Bangladesh met in Nay Pyi Taw last month to seek ways of boosting bilateral trade cooperation.

Comprehensive discussions had been made between Myanmar delegation, led by Deputy Minister of Commerce Brigadier-General Aung Tun, and Bangladeshi delegation, headed by Secretary of Commerce Feroz Ahmed, at the third meeting of the commission.

That discussions covered extended export of Myanmar's products especially agricultural produces.

In February this year, businessmen of Myanmar's Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry and Bangladesh Bank delegation also met in Yangon to seek ways of enhancing economic and trade cooperation between the two countries.

Noting that it was encouraging its private sector to export rice to Bangladesh to supplement its need, the Myanmar side said it was also undertaking many important communication linkages in the western Rakhine state, adding that transport facility and smooth flow of commodity will improve soon between the two countries through the state.

The Myanmar side proposed to establish banking arrangements between the two countries to promote trade, stressing the need for Myanmar's Investment and Commercial Bank and the Myanmar Foreign Trade Bank to have corresponding banks in Bangladesh for effective and reliable payments related to trade transactions.

At that meeting, the Bangladesh side also emphasized the need to promote the bilateral trade and change the trend of border trade to normal trade, disclosing that Bangladesh wants to invest in Myanmar's agriculture and livestock breeding sectors through bilateral cooperation.

Meanwhile, Myanmar has planned to add one more border trade point in the Rakhine state linking Bangladesh, according to the Directorate of Border Trade.

Tender for building the infrastructure of the new border trade point planned at Taungphyo township has been called for and the Taungphyo border trade point will be Myanmar's third with Bangladesh after Sittway and Maungtaw in the same state.

Currently, Myanmar and Bangladesh are engaged more in border trade than in normal trade. Myanmar exports to Bangladesh marine products, beans and pulses, and kitchen crops, while it imports from Bangladesh pharmaceuticals, ceramic, cotton fabric, raw jute, kitchenware and cosmetic.

The two countries formally opened border trade in 1994.

Bilateral trade between Myanmar and Bangladesh now stands at 140 million U.S. dollars and a target of 500 million dollars for the next fiscal year 2009-2010 is being strived.

Official statistics show that Myanmar exported 23,000 tons of marine products to Bangladesh annually, standing as Bangladesh's fifth largest marine products importing country out of 30.

During a visit to Dhaka by Vice-Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council Vice Senior-General Maung Aye in early October last year, the two sides decided on purchase of 100,000 tons of rice from Myanmar by Bangladesh, import of pharmaceuticals from Bangladesh, construction of a 25-kilometer trans-border road and delimitation of maritime boundary.

An agreement on avoidance of double taxation was also signed during the Myanmar leader's Bangladesh trip.

Myanmar, Bangladesh seek promotion of trade _English_Xinhua

We gave you freedom and we do see the deep gratitude from you!

You did not give us freedom but helped it gain it.There is a Huge difference between both.
Besides talking about gratitude,it was a deal which served the purpose of both countries.We got our independence and you got a divided and a weakened Pakistan.Deal cleared.

Now yet with your cheap mentality you are saying you gave us freedom.If we didn't want to separate from Pakistan at first place,would you be able to give us "Freedom"?

Remember 1965 war,when East Bengal Regiment soldiers strapped mines on their bodies to stop Indian tanks rolling into Lahore.This history is still written in Bangladesh Army EBR's archives.(Although probably erased from Pakistan army's history,after 1971).
Just after 6 years,they mutinied for the sake of Bangladesh.And together with thousands of defected Bengali Pakistani officers,they formed the core of Bangladesh freedom fighters.

Looks like I will have to put back my old signature again.

When we talk respectfully to you, you try to thrash us, hope that India dies - and against all your wishes we stand tall. Show respect, get respect - that is a policy; may be you missed that!

Apart from reading RAW conspiracies, it would help you understand how much aid dependent your country is. It is only recently that yearly budget's proportion of aid has fallen to 10%.

This was probably meant for someone else,so I won't comment on it.

So before threatening India and cursing India - just salute India for money we are giving you - an aid from a poor country to another poor country - only to be cursed by that country men. But ofcourse, when they fear attack Burma, they come running back to India. You people are really great!

I have one word for above mentioned propaganda.

B U L L ****

Bangladesh govt. went for Chinese Govt.'s help just like in 2008 confrontation.It is only Indian media that reported that Bangladesh was asking Indian help.Whereas the truth is secretary level meeting was held between Bangladesh and China to solve the problem.And it was successful.

Looks like Indian media is hell bent on making themselves a Superpower.Even if it means by spreading lies.Pathetic.

While I thank India for its generosity for its role in 1971 and giving us aid,another fact pops up in my mind.

China have given us Billions of dollars in aid/Investment since 1975.

But I wonder why no Chinese member yet posted anything here about those.May be they don't like bragging as some of my Indian friends do.
Fortunately I know Indians who doesn't have this kind of cheap mentality.

Last edited:
We gave you freedom and we do see the deep gratitude from you!

When we talk respectfully to you, you try to thrash us, hope that India dies - and against all your wishes we stand tall. Show respect, get respect - that is a policy; may be you missed that!

You are talking about showing respect to BD by saying you gave us freedom. You must be funny. Freedom was achieved by sacrficing only 1300 lives of Indian troops - is this what you want us to believe? However, we were killed in lakhs. By the way, when are you going to give freedom to Kashmir?

That's typical cooked up indian lesson every indian gets soon after they learn how to talk. But reality is Bangladesh fought for its own and given india freedom from headache of facing its enemy in two front.

Its obvious you have no clue about own country let alone Bangladesh or any other. India's debt to GDP ratio is 88%. No wonder india has over 600 million people live under proverty.

IMF says debt-to-GDP ratio of advanced countries to rise by 20 percentage points in 2009 - - biggest upturn in decades

and rest of your post is only remind us slumdog and begging bowl mentality.

Beggar calling the other guy a beggar

The news was posted in another thread.The news is a worrying sign for Bangladesh.Precisely warning for Bangladesh to prepare accordingly.Now we will have to see how our strategy makers deals with it.

I would suggest better RADAR and multi-level SAMs as always.Instead of going for fighters.

Myanmar to buy 20 Russian MiG-29 fighters for $570 mln

A 400 million-euro ($570 mln) contract has been signed for the delivery of Russian MiG-29 fighters for the Myanmar Air Force.

A 400 million-euro ($570 mln) contract has been signed for the delivery of Russian MiG-29 fighters for the Myanmar Air Force, a source close to Russia's arms export monopoly told a business daily on Wednesday.

Vedomosti quoted the source at Rosoboronexport as saying the Russian bid to supply MiG-29 Fulcrum-D carrier-based fighter jets beat China's offer to sell its latest J-10 and FC-1 fighters.

Myanmar was rearmed with Chinese military aircraft worth some $2 billion in the 1990s, the paper said.

The country bought 12 MiG-29 fighters in 2001, but this contract is the largest since the 2007 unfulfilled contract to supply Algeria with 34 MiG-29 fighters.

In 2008, a contract for the supply of six MiG fighters was signed with Sri Lanka.

Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov announced last year that Russia would give Lebanon 10 MiG-29 fighter jets for free, Vedomosti said.

Ria Novosti

News.Az - Myanmar to buy 20 Russian MiG-29 fighters for $570 mln

Myanmar deputy minister arrives for talks | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Myanmar deputy minister arrives for talks
Mon, Dec 28th, 2009 9:14 pm BdST

Dhaka, Dec 28 (bdnews24.com)柚yanmar deputy foreign minister Maung Myint arrived in city on Monday to lead his country's delegation at foreign secretary-level talks, which are likely to feature the thorny issue of Rohingya refugees entering Bangladesh from the neighbouring state.

The two-day talks between Bangladesh and Myanmar starts on Tuesday at foreign ministry.

"Deputy foreign minister Maung Myint and two officials of Myanmar have already arrived," Saida Muna Tasneem, a foreign ministry director general (external publicity), told bdnews24.com Monday.

She said foreign secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes will lead Bangladesh side while Myint, who holds the status of foreign secretary, will head the five-member team of his side.

Quayes recently told journalists that Bangladesh would press its neighbour to stop pushing Rohingya refugees into Bangladesh territory.

Myanmar's Muslim people from the Northern Rakhain state have been crossing into Bangladesh in large number since 1991 to escape persecution by the rulers there.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees set up camps in Bangladesh to repatriate the Rohingya people.

Some 28,000 out of 500,000 Rohingya refugees registered in 1992 have been living in the refugee camps in Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar district. But many of those repatriated under the UNHCR returned into Bangladesh and now mingle with local people for fear of repression in their homeland.

Local officials say almost all of the repatriated Rohingyas have intruded into Bangladesh again and have been creating social problems.

According to international law, host country cannot force repatriation of refugees.

The foreign secretary also said the discussion will also feature introduction of banking facilities between Bangladesh and Myanmar to increase business activities between the two counties.

bdnews24.com/krc/saz/2113h.

China have given us Billions of dollars in aid/Investment since 1975.

But I wonder why no Chinese member yet posted anything here about those.May be they don't like bragging as some of my Indian friends do.

You have wrongly cited the Chinese investment matter here to an Indian. Yes, Indians are so generous that they are not letting us forget that they have donated a BIG $1 MILLION to the sufferers of SIDR cyclone. If you go through the pages of some threads, you can see it.

I personally do not want Indian investments in BD, only because these small frogs from India will come out bragging how they are helping us. I, of course, like BD investment in India, because nobody of BD origin will boast about this.

We have a great neighbour inhabited by small-minded people. These small guys think that one million dollar is such a big money to a poor BD whose more than 50% people do not even eat food one time a day.

Last edited:
I have questions to only BD members.

# What will happen to the BD-Burma-China road plan if we won't have good relation with Burma?

# Don't you think that it is possible to have a good relation or economical relation with Burma?

BTW,

# I personally want good relation with Burma, obviously, for strategical and economical benefits if it is possible.

# BD govt. should think before buy new weapons targeting Burma. The meaning of buying Mig-29 dose not ensure they will attack us.

# We should try for mutual understanding. It will be a diplomatic failure if fail to make good relation with Burma. So think before identify the enemy. May be we could build a good relationship.

# I don't know how much interest is China about BD-Burma-China road plan but it is very necessary to me to bring a new economical dimension in our economy.

# What will happen to the BD-Burma-China road plan if we won't have good relation with Burma?

# Don't you think that it is possible to have a good relation or economical relation with Burma?

BTW,

# I personally want good relation with Burma, obviously, for strategical and economical benefits if it is possible.

# BD govt. should think before buy new weapons targeting Burma. The meaning of buying Mig-29 dose not ensure they will attack us.

# We should try for mutual understanding. It will be a diplomatic failure if fail to make good relation with Burma. So think before identify the enemy. May be we could build a good relationship.

# I don't know how much interest is China about BD-Burma-China road plan but it is very necessary to me to bring a new economical dimension in our economy.

When thinking of BD outlet towards southeast or China, Burma is the only route. Burma knows very well about their important location. BD-Burma clash of interest started during Pakistan time. But, President Ayub Khan diffused the situation by agreeing to a border that follows the center line of Naaf Dariya.

After BD was created, Rohingya problem caused deterioration of the relationship. Sk. Mujib, in a meeting (I do not know about the venue) told the then Burmese President that BD considers a land as part of Bangladesh wherever Bangalis live. It was immediately after the liberation wear, so the Burmese became worried about the infusion of our trained and experienced fighters into Arakan.

After the death of Sk. mujib, everything changed due to weak leadership. Burma started to push the Rohingyas to BD. This was the starting point of renewed mistrust. BD has sweetened its plea of a good relationship by offering to build a 21km stretch of highway inside Burma with its own money. BD also proposed to build a hydro-electric project inside Burma with its own money so that BD can get supply of power from there.

There were and are similar offers of friendship from BD side. But, the Burmese govt did not recprocate these with positive responses, that is the reality. Even Burma does not want the Asian Highway route to connect it with BD. Moreover, there is a sea demarcation issue that remains unresolved. In the meantime, Burma is strenghthening its military strength. It has purchased 20 Mig-29 jets.

I am not sure, but it will take many more years when the relationship between BD and Burma will improve. However, if China has any leverage over the Burmese Junta, then it may try to influence Burma to connect with BD for easy transit among the countries. But, usually a third party initiaive does not bring results, or a third party does not try for the benefit of a second party.

That should be the first priority and that was and is still the priority from our side.
But from the Burmese side we are seeing aggression.Building up forces near BD border and continuous reinforcements suggests the possibilty of an attack.
According to BDR report,the Burmese might make an attempt to attack and capture St.Martins Island,if we do not act soon.

And buying of 20 migs just strengthens our suspicion that they will attack,if everything doesn't go according to them regarding maritime territory.
Remember there is a military Junta in power.They understand muscle more than discussion.
We can not afford to waste our time hoping for a friendly response from them.We need to get armed,to counter any threat.

Hitler was friendly to Britain before taking on Poland,remember that.

If there is a democratic govt. in place in Burma,then all these tension will wash away.After all who wants war?
There is a huge scope for business in Burma,through both nations can be benefited.Once trading between the both nation increases,then relation will automatically improve.

Remember there is a military Junta in power.They understand muscle more than discussion.

To guess their intentions clearly and to overview the possible peace negotiations, once again or for the last time, BD govt should invite their military Junta, I think.

I believe BD wants no enemy as we are very peaceful nation.

Myanmar to repatriate 9,000 Rohingyas
A family is engaged with bringing mud full of bucket from the nearest mountain area to build their shelter at Kutupalong Rohingya refugee camp at Teknaf in Cox’s Bazar.

Myanmar has identified 9,000 Rohingya refugees living in Bangladesh and decided to take them back to their own country, Foreign Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes said on Tuesday.

The announcement came at a press briefing after the first day talks of the two-day secretary-level meeting between the neighbouring countries.

Bangladesh asked the Myanmar authorities to repatriate the identified refugees as soon as possible, Mijarul said.

The government had earlier handed over a list of 28,000 Rohingyas who came from Myanmar and now in two refugee camps in Cox's Bazar.

Myanmar authorities verified the list and found 9,000 people on the list as its citizen, the foreign secretary told reporters.

Settling maritime boundaries, importing rice and gas from Myanmar, and setting up power plant at Rakhain state of Myanmar by Bangladesh were also tabled at the meeting.

Myanmar Deputy Foreign Minister Maung Myint arrived in Dhaka on Monday to lead his country's delegation at the talks.

Myanmar to repatriate 9,000 Rohingyas

At last some progress,I hope the other discussions also bear some fruit.:tup:

Back
Top Bottom