What's new

BBC | Secret Pakistan.

This argument of Pakistanis is almost as absurd as the argument about their economy being bad because of war on terror. I mean, yes, in past, USA had an alignment with Afghan Mujahideens. At that time, they were not hob nobbing with people who blow up malls, hotels and other civilian centers or fly airplanes into tall buildings. The Afghan Mujahiddeens changed their ideology and accordingly the attitude of the civilized world changed towards them. Pakistan on the other hand kept propping them up even after they went hand in glove with the international terrorist organizations.

Now blaming USA for that is like punishing a father if his son commits a murder because the father was responsible for the birth of the son.. Sounds absurd.. Isn't it

Pakistan being blamed is different ball game since in the above example, Pakistan is the friend who gave the knife to that son to commit the murder.. Kind of like an accessory
After reading upto this i stopped reading looked who posted it and Bang it was my Great sardar G:omghaha:

Calling his argument absurd tell us abt yr standards of judgement.:omghaha:

Dude u really need to have a Geo-Political sense. Its not even funny anymore.

Koi to Kam sedha kr lia karo Sardar G.

I am not generous with doling out respect. It needs to be earned IMHO and starting conversations with name calling definitely doesnt help.

That is exactly what I said, although in far fewer words, except that everyone else in Afghanistan was fighting the leftists/commies. Where you ultimately try to blame the US/CIA for rise of taliban, I lay the blame directly on the failed Soviet policies or rather lack thereof, in Afghanistan. Lack of political vision in Afghanistan and withdrawal of Soviet war machinery did nothing to replace the vacuum it created, not to mention failure to place even a semblance of a political infrastructure, leading to a free for all grab for power by the leading factions of the Mujaheedin.
The ISAF is trying to do what the Soviets did not or failed to, post 'war'.

Lets be adults here, shall we?

Right just scroll over the first reply you posted me and then come to me at earning respect. Usually when addressing someone for the first time it is custom to be civil.

Secondly, there was no failure of Soviet policies the Soviets were begining to realise that they were losing the Cold War and as every influential system has done they answered by increasing their military presence. The Soviet's were invited btw by the Afghani government. The US wanted to use this oppertunity, it should be noted that the Reagen administration had adopted a policy that was strategically aimed to increase the cost of being a 'superpower' for the USSR and thus increasing the pressure on their system. Though it was aimed at making the military might of the USSR colapse it stress their system to a collapse completely.

Now, in such circumstances, it should also be noted that the USSR, according to latest released KGB files, Taliban: Declassified, thought that the USA was supporting a Pan-Islamist alliance of Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan to infiltrate their southern regions with high Muslim populations which the Soviets considered to be 'backward'. Thus, they were always on the defencive. The USA completely abandoned the Afghani people: the years of fighting had seen the Soviet tactics of decreasing the civics structure so that the Afghani people would have to come to concentrated cities where they could easily be held in terms of military control. It backfired as the Afghans, as is their proud history, took on this tactic and embraced it to their use using a highly fluidic system to take on Soviet conventional strenght. The Soviets then started to destroy every symbol of the 20th century left in Afghanistan with the exception of the few cities they held and later on Kabul.

After their exit, the Soviet giant took its last breaths and fell. The USA was the only nation that could have stabalised Afghanistan and ignored it. THis is not just true for Afghanistan but the rest of the world where the fissures of the Cold War politik left Africa and Central Asia bleeding. The USA celebrated.

That is where the Talibs rose to fill in the gap and mind you, the Talibs were never a united front either. There were elements in the Taliban government that deemed that OBL and every foreign fighter should leave Afghanistan, they even were in talks with C. Powell for a gas pipeline as far back as 2001!

So read, please, these people are the bastards of the Cold War.

Read The Bear that went over the moutain edited by L. W. Grau, 1996
and Shuja Nawaz's account in Crossed Swords 2007.

Why open new thread for years old documentary when there are already many threads on this

I guess because people did not have their dose of 'Reasons to hate Pakistan' today.

Just like life existed before you were born?

Are we not discussing mujahdeen's metamorphosis into taliban , i do know life existed before we all where born but we are talking about ape's metamorphosis into man.

This argument of Pakistanis is almost as absurd as the argument about their economy being bad because of war on terror. I mean, yes, in past, USA had an alignment with Afghan Mujahideens. At that time, they were not hob nobbing with people who blow up malls, hotels and other civilian centers or fly airplanes into tall buildings. The Afghan Mujahiddeens changed their ideology and accordingly the attitude of the civilized world changed towards them. Pakistan on the other hand kept propping them up even after they went hand in glove with the international terrorist organizations.

Now blaming USA for that is like punishing a father if his son commits a murder because the father was responsible for the birth of the son.. Sounds absurd.. Isn't it

Pakistan being blamed is different ball game since in the above example, Pakistan is the friend who gave the knife to that son to commit the murder.. Kind of like an accessory

Actually their tactics, training, mentality was manufactured by the CIA to keep on a fight against the Soviets, the USA had over-estimated their strenght because of their initial success against the Afghans. Stephen Cohen had thought that by the earliest the Soviets would talk of retiring the Afghani adventure by 1997, the Soviet structure is stable and the Soviet war machine has a history of taking on long wars and drawn out campaigns as quoted in Flora Lewis (1987). Europe: A Tapestry of Nations. USA: Simon and Schuster. p. 364.

The CIA wanted to create a system that would need minimal input and give maximum results. Your view is like saying the Treaty of Versailles should not be blamed for pushing the Germans towards a political path that would cause the Second World War, the German nation inherently is belligerent - That line is by S. Milgram who wrote about his experiment on social obedience in the book Milgram, Stanley (1974). Obedience to Authority; An Experimental View. Harpercollins, prologue.

Back
Top Bottom