What's new

Bangladeshis heading home from Japan

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Bangladeshis heading home from Japan

Many Bangladeshi expatriates in Japan have started to return home while some are still in dilemma in the face of nuclear radiation and loss of jobs there.

Expatriate Hoq Emdadul last night told The Daily Star that he has never seen a catastrophe of such magnitude in his 23-year stay in Japan.

He said besides the aftermath of the earthquake and radiation panic, they have been faced with serious food crisis, breakdown of transport system and power cuts.

The Japanese government has announced three hours' power outage in each area every day. The power crisis has forced 80 percent of the country's trains to keep from operating.

Emdadul, employee of a global database service provider for airlines and hotels, said he spent half the day in office Monday while the rest collecting food from stores. He lives in Saitama, a city about 50 kilometres from Tokyo.

According to expatriates, around 15,000 Bangladeshis live in Japan.

Emdadul said almost 80 percent Bangladeshis there are part-timers. They hold several part-time jobs to survive and remit money home. Now that most of the industries and factories are closed the part-timers are out of work and are contemplating to return to Bangladesh.

Two Bangladeshis, Ahsan Rajib and Murad Chowdhury, who lost their jobs now are staying at Emdadul's. Murad is preparing to come home in a couple of days.

Ahsan Rajib told The Daily Star that he had four part-time jobs but now left with only one. He has also been trying to get an air ticket for home.

About 4.5 to 5 lakh tsunami affected people have taken refuge at government-supervised shelter centres. Japanese dry food manufacturers have been supplying food to these centres which triggered food crisis in other parts of the country.

Homemaker Nishat Sultana said daily necessaries like bread, rice and eggs have become so scarce there, and the power outages are only adding to the sufferings.

Emdadul said fear of radiation is the biggest issue now for the people living in Japan. Many foreigners including Bangladeshis have been moving back to their countries due to the fear. Eventually, air tickets have become very rare.

Asked whether he is planning to return to Bangladesh, Emdadul said, “I have a permanent job here. If I go to Bangladesh now it will be hard for me to find another full-time job when I come back. We hope things here will be fine soon. If the situation really goes out of hand, we will come home.”

He said the Japanese have been cancelling their tours and the ones abroad are returning home.

The Japanese radio and television are airing latest updates on radiation leakage. As a precaution, about two to three percent people have started wearing masks to avoid radiation, said Emdadul.

Bangladeshis heading home

What about the guy Eastwatch? He was in Japan right, is he alright?

What about the guy Eastwatch? He was in Japan right, is he alright?

@ Why are you worried about Eastwatch ? If the crisis is more he will move to West and become Westwatch !!!!!!

@ Why are you worried about Eastwatch ? If the crisis is more he will move to West and become Westwatch !!!!!!

Although I am not a fan of Eastwatch but I hope he is doing O.K.

Wonder what happened to him. Hope he's well and busy with his engineering skills, quite an interesting and bold person.
Bangladeshis should help Japan in whatever way they can. The problem is that country is far too developed for us to help.

Wonder what happened to him. Hope he's well and busy with his engineering skills, quite an interesting and bold person.
Bangladeshis should help Japan in whatever way they can. The problem is that country is far too developed for us to help.

You can send them hot lunch packs rice+fish. Japanease like both.

They are not in hunger although the foods are contaminated by radiation , which is scary.

Thank you very much for the wise and considerate sentiments. Unfortunately we have not seen any response from him. Hope he is well.

About the last sentence, even the most developed country can go through sufferings. Natural disasters can be very unsparing.

They are not in hunger although the foods are contaminated by radiation , which is scary.

Large number of people without house and any belongings. There is always room for humanitarian effort like providing food, as you see japan is overwhelmed by multiple disasters.

+1 to that. He is one of us. That is a good enough reason to think about his welfare. Hope he (and family if any) is alright.

yeah Capt, no matter how much do we curse each other, the community gives us a feeling of oneness. :)

Thanks guys for worrying about me. When the earthquake, then tsunami and then atomic debacle started in Japan I was in Bangladesh. I am back only today. Everything does not seem well in Japan. Because of shortage of powr I noticed the lights are dimmed not only in the Narita airport, but also in many other places. I saw a few escalators were closed, probably due to shortage of electricity.

Otherwise, everything seems okay, at least superficially. You see, Japanese are very disciplined and usually they would not allow themselves to share personal plights or bad experiences with others. In Dhaka, even an unknown person will shout at me to say the result of BD ODI cricket. But, in Japan people do not react at all even though they are inside the hot Sun.

At the airport and inside the plane, I have not found someone discussing the tsunami/atomic matters with anyone else. Well, that did not surprise me considering thebtypical mindset of an average Japanese.

Bangladeshis are moving out of Japan probably because of economic recession, and not out of panic due to atomic reactor matter.

Back
Top Bottom