What's new

Bangladeshis demand trial of Gen (retd) Moeen U Ahmed

You made claim in the past that having deep sea port and giving india access to it would increase Bangladesh per capital income to $3000. But offcourse there was no reality or proof to back up those claims.

Now we would have to painfully live through another of your out of reality plot. If it were real I would not mind appreciating your enthuse.

getting back to topics......

people close to MUA saying he is hopping gambling circuits in US. If that is true where is money coming from?????
Why do you get jealous if per capita income of my country Bangladesh goes up to $3000. By the way, if Gen. moeen is gambling why do you have to worry? Why do not you go yourself to Las Vegas and spend a million dollar every night? Who is stopping you?

Leaders across political divide want trial of 3 Ahmeds
Dhaka, Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 12:40am

A bipartisan consensus seems to have emerged over the need for an investigation of the activities of the military-controlled caretaker government that ruled the country unconstitutionally between January 11, 2007 and December 31 2008.

Quite a significant number of politicians belonging to both the government and opposition camps are unanimous in their opinion that the official and unofficial leaders of the military-controlled regime, particularly the top trio – army chief Moeen U Ahmed, chief adviser Fakhruddin Ahmed and president Iajuddin Ahmed – who ruled the country at their whims, need to be brought to justice to stop recurrence of such usurpation of power in future.

Some senior leaders of the ruling Awami League, opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party, Workers Party of Bangladesh, Jatiya Party, Jatiya Samajtanrik Dal, Communist Party of Bangladesh and Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal came up with identical views over the issue in separate interviews with New Age on Sunday.

Notably, after taking over power on January 11, 2007 in the midst of a fierce power struggle between BNP and Awami League, the military-driven government of Fakhruddin Ahmed promulgated a ‘state of emergency’ and threw into prisons hundreds of politicians and businessmen in the name of cleaning up politics and economy. Besides, the government made all-out efforts, unsuccessfully though, to re-design the country’s political landscape in collaboration with a section of western diplomats and their local cronies. On top of that all, the military-driven regime kept the fundamental rights of the citizens suspended for two years in the name of a ‘state of emergency’.

The acting general secretary of the ruling Awami League and local government, rural development and cooperatives minister, Syed Ashraful Islam, however, told reporters on Tuesday that the ‘government has not yet taken any decision as regards trial of [former army chief, retired] general Moeen U Ahmed’.

Talking to New Age, politicians viewed that the key persons of the caretaker government and its military backers – particularly the top trio – should be brought to book to ensure that no military or quasi-military forces could intervene in the political process in the future.

Textile and jute minister Abdul Latif Siddiqui said, ‘An investigation should be conducted into the activities of the military-controlled interim government during its two years in office.’

The minister, also a veteran leader of the Awami League, demanded trial of Iajuddin Ahmed, Fakhruddin Ahmed and Moeen U Ahmed. ‘Iajuddin should be put on trial first as Moeen and Fakhruddin had engaged in unconstitutional activities during Iajuddin’s presidency,’ he said.

Replying to a query, the minister said, ‘As a part of the government, I cannot file a case against them before the government takes any decision in this regard’. But he believes that ‘the government should take a decision to investigate the two-year rule of the interim government which had resorted to unconstitutional activities.’

The general secretary of Awami League, Abdul Jalil, who was detained and reportedly harassed by the caretaker regime, said: ‘An investigation should be launched into the activities of the caretaker government, and those who had been involved in anti-constitutional activities during the regime should be tried lawfully.’ Jalil further said that ‘the investigation and trial is needed to stop recurrence of such unconstitutional governance in the future’.

Awami League presidium member Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim echoed Jalil. ‘All of those who conducted illegal activities in violation of the constitution of the state should be tried to prevent their repetition,’ said Selim.

Answering a question, the AL leader said that the victims of the caretaker government should go to court against those who had harassed political leaders with ill motives. Selim, who was imprisoned by the caretaker government on corruption charges, however, is yet to decide whether he would file a case.

Another AL presidium member, Dr Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir, sounded more specific. ‘The caretaker government in question violated the constitution by way of indulging in activities beyond the routine work of the state, and therefore those involved in such illegal activities should be punished’.

Alamgir, who was imprisoned by the caretaker regime, said ‘I will file a case against the caretakers soon’. He said the government should decide what punishment should be meted out to them for such unconstitutional activities. Lawmakers of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party demanded trial of the former army chief, retired general Moeen U Ahmed, on charges of sedition and violation of the constitution, the Army Act, service rules and for vitiating the discipline of the armed forces.

‘Bring Moeen U Ahmed under the purview of the law immediately,’ said the opposition chief whip, Zainul Abdin Farroque, in a written statement at a press conference held at the media centre of the parliament complex on June 16.

BNP leader Moudud Ahmed on June 17 demanded trial of the members of the ‘unlawful’ caretaker government of Fakhruddin Ahmed. Moudud also demanded ‘trial of six retired and serving army personnel, including the just-retired general Moeen U Ahmed, for their move to depoliticise the country, make it dysfunctional and destroy the economy’. He also called upon the government to constitute an all-party probe committee for the purpose.

Rashed Khan Menon, president of the Workers Party of Bangladesh, also demanded an investigation into the illegal activities of the military-driven caretaker government of Fakruddin Ahmed and trial of those who had ruled the country beyond their constitutional limits. ‘I will continue to press for this, because if they are not tried, such unconstitutional takeover will recur,’ Menon told New Age on Sunday.

Jatiya Party (JP-Ershad) acting chairman Anisul Islam Mahmud told New Age that the caretakers, if they were involved in illegal activities during its regime, should be taken to court as every extra-constitutional action should be brought under the scrutiny of law. ‘Then the court will decide whether the caretakers were right or wrong,’ he said.

Hasanul Huq Inu, president of the Jatiya Samajtanrik Dal, said, ‘We have already recognised the caretaker government [of Fakhruddin Ahmed]. But steps can be taken against those in the caretaker government, who might be found guilty of wrongdoings.’

Communist Party of Bangladesh general secretary Mujahidul Islam Selim also called for trial of ‘those behind the unconstitutional takeover of power and illegal activities of the unconstitutional regime’ of Fakhruddin Ahmed. He, however, wants trial of all of those who violated constitution since 1975.

Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal (BSD) convener Khalequzzaman, also demanded that ‘those who were involved in the usurpation of power on January 11, 2007, and ruled the country unconstitutionally for two years should be brought to book ’. 'In a democratic dispensation, all governments, civilian or otherwise, have to remain accountable to the people’.

http://www.newagebd.com/2009/jun/23/front.html#1

In Denial: Moeen U Ahmed

1) General Moeen U Ahmed denies taking approximately Taka 1 crore loan.
2) Puts the loan amount at Taka 35 lakh.
3) Claims he is a victim of “internet propaganda.”
4) Prospectus issued by Trust Bank itself contradicts Moeen.

[Mashuqur Rahman, USA.]

Since my post two days ago regarding General Moeen U Ahmed’s tenure as chairman of Trust Bank, General Moeen has responded to the concerns raised by me and others in the Bangladeshi blogosphere by giving a series of interviews to various television, radio and print journalists.

Today General Moeen’s response has been covered by every major Bangladeshi newspaper. General Moeen’s denial and the many interviews he has given surprised me. The blanket coverage in Bangladeshi papers was also surprising. I am sure Bangladeshi readers are confused since this may be the first time they are hearing about the Trust Bank issue since no papers have ever covered it. They must be wondering what General Moeen is responding to.

In his interviews, General Moeen denied taking out a loan of approximately 1 crore taka. Instead he said that the loan amount was much less and the internet reports about his loan were “false” and meant to “malign” him. BDNews24 reports:

General Moeen U Ahmed Saturday brushed aside the allegations of taking Tk 1 crore in loans from a bank and said it was all designed to “malign” him.

The army chief, visiting the US, said: “It’s not true that I borrowed Tk 1 crore from Trust Bank. It’s not true either that I paid back Tk 60 lakh.”

The interview was aired on BBC Radio (Bangla).

According to the allegations what BBC said was spread by the internet, Moeen borrowed about Tk 1 crore in loans from Trust Bank in 2005 and repaid more than Tk 60 lakh until the end of 2006.

“It’s totally false. I have borrowed only as much as permitted for an army officer in line with Trust Bank rules. I didn’t borrow even one taka more than permitted.”

Moeen said he borrowed only Tk 35 lakh, which includes Tk 25 lakh in house loans.

“It’s all documented. Anyone can see that. Anybody can contact me. I am paying back the loans with the money I get from house rents,” he told BBC by phone.

“It (allegation) was all designed to malign me.”

The New Nation quotes General Moeen as follows:
The New Nation - Internet Edition

General Moeen said, “I have the documents whatever I have said. Anyone can see these documents at any time. So, I took a loan of Tk 99 lakh and repaid Tk 66 lakh in the following year is absolutely a blatant lie.

“It is a propaganda against me which is being carried out intentionally. This propaganda is being carried out against me with an ulterior motive to destroy my image and undermine me before the members of the public. And, this propaganda has been carried out when I have come to the United Nations, and when the expatriates living in the United Kingdom and the United States have been extending warm welcome to me. Perhaps, someone could not tolerate this affection and love of expatriate Bangladeshis toward me and has resorted to making false, fabricated and baseless propaganda against me. But, I have nothing to say against such propaganda and spreading of lies. However, if somebody wants to know about the income and expenditure statement of mine or Trust Bank loan I will welcome him,” he said.

The Army Chief said he had always been trying to remain transparent to his conscience. “So, I don’t want to make any comment on such propaganda through Internet. There is no problem if anyone wants to know about my account officially or privately,” he said.

However, the prospectus filed on May 17, 2007 by Trust Bank to the Bangladesh Securities and Exchange Commission notes that General Moeen had an outstanding loan amount of Taka 99,69,215 at the end of 2005 and an outstanding loan amount of Taka 33,15,323 at the end of 2006. The following chart appears on page 20 of the prospectus

In denial: Moeen U Ahmed - E-Bangladesh

Leaders across political divide want trial of 3 Ahmeds
Dhaka, Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 12:40am

A bipartisan consensus seems to have emerged over the need for an investigation of the activities of the military-controlled caretaker government that ruled the country unconstitutionally between January 11, 2007 and December 31 2008.

Front Page
You are supporting even the AL goons as well as BNP goons, who stole many billions of dollars from the coffers of a poor BD. General moeen is the only person since partition in 1947 who did not take undue advantage and staged a military coup. Now, you are siding with the AL goons who you claim as Indian stooges. This has exposed your true nature. You are deceiving others by making anti-AL propaganda, but then supporting their corruption.

It seems all the political thieves are united against one powerful good man only because he exposed their misdeeds, punished them and shamed them in front of public. This kind of morally right and strong-minded persons are needed to counter Indian aggression, if something like that happens in the future. Do not expect your BNP and AL goons to take care of the country in such a situation.

Recently Greater Noakhali Shamite of NY named MUA as the worst ever Noakhaillah (Not to degrade good people from NoaKhali though)
and compared him with Mir Jafar as that commie Mo Fo, Bustardo sold our beloved country to Bharati dalals by eating foods of Bdeshi people.

It seems that another 107 officers will be sacked from the army for their unruliness before the PM at Sena Kunja a few weeks ago. The list was provided by MUA just before he retired.

If this happens, then it would be great for Bangladesh Army. There needs to be discipline in the Army. They can't be given the impression that Bangladesh is like Pakistan where Army is everything.

only BNP and Jamaat losers want Moeen to be tried. The thread is misleading. Not all Bangladeshis are protesting. Only minority are.

only BNP and Jamaat losers want Moeen to be tried. The thread is misleading. Not all Bangladeshis are protesting. Only minority are.
I didn't see any Dhotiwala, Brass colored Babu was feeling uneasy after heaing feary anti-MUA/Commie-Bustardo speaches by people from different walks of lives. Ario Dada, An- ne ke MUA chor-er lahan sneaked in there?

Last edited:
I didn't see any Dhotiwala, Brass colored Babu was feeling uneasy after heaing feary anti-MUA/Commie-Bustardo speaches by people from different walks of lives. Ario Dada, An- ne ke MUA chor-er lahan sneaked in there?

Low life MUA lives in quietly in cantonment house. Only time this gaddar goes out for Jumma pray according to noya diganta. If he can not even moves around freely under awami regime than imagine his outcome if BNP ever comes to power on his life time. I would like to see this bastard given street justices some day. :smokin:

Low life MUA lives in quietly in cantonment house. Only time this gaddar goes out for Jumma pray according to noya diganta. If he can not even moves around freely under awami regime than imagine his outcome if BNP ever comes to power on his life time. I would like to see this bastard given street justices some day. :smokin:

hmm...interesting.....

Last edited:

Thats interesting Zakir. Didnt your or idune claim that he has run away to USA? He came back to face the music despite knowing people are gunning for his head? .... what a fool i must say, coming back despite having a Case lodged!!!!

I agree with you. Despite all the threats that he has received, he should behave like a true soldier and roam around or go for outings freely. Why be afraid ..... brave guys dont need body guards to protect one's self. A true coward indeed.. he previously showed this cowardice when he opted not to rule BD like brave Mr.Zia. Needs guts to stage a coup and rule a country. I'm with you guys on this one.

Let him pay for what he did to this politician's. He deserves nothing better.

Thats interesting Zakir. Didnt your or idune claim that he has run away to USA? He came back to face the music despite knowing people are gunning for his head? .... what a fool i must say, coming back despite having a Case lodged!!!!

I agree with you. Despite all the threats that he has received, he should behave like a true soldier and roam around or go for outings freely. Why be afraid ..... brave guys dont need body guards to protect one's self. A true coward indeed.. he previously showed this cowardice when he opted not to rule BD like brave Mr.Zia. Needs guts to stage a coup and rule a country. I'm with you guys on this one.

Let him pay for what he did to this politician's. He deserves nothing better.

Stumper,
He did try his best to stay in the power or at least hang to his CAS post for one more year. Reality is different now.

Most of the indian people do not like Zia but except a few bangladeshi,
he was and still a true patriotic. He promoted the multipary democracy from one party system of Baksal. May be a one party
system of govt will serve the best interest of india and indian dalal inside the coutry but not for average bangladeshi people.

What was the fault of zia ? He allow multi party democracy from
indian dominated one party BAKSAL govt. ? Or he was a patriot who
stand up for his own people ?

Stumper,
He did try his best to stay in the power or at least hang to his CAS post for one more year. Reality is different now.

he was and still a true patriotic. He promoted the multipary democracy from one party system of Baksal. May be a one party
system of govt will serve the best interest of india and indian dalal inside the coutry but not for average bangladeshi people.

Khabib : Three whole paragraphs on India and Zia!!!....I guess we are talking about MUA here. I would like to hear Zakirs views on what i wrote.

Stumper,

Whatevere rumour people try to spread over MUA, at the end of the day he did not take over the political power of BD.

Back
Top Bottom