What's new

Bangladesh ranks 4th largest clothing exporter in world - WTO

Bangladesh ranks 4th largest clothing exporter in world

Bangladesh has been ranked as the fourth largest exporter of clothing with a 3 percent share of the global market by the world body World Trade Organization (WTO), Vice-president of Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) Faruque Hassan said on Wednesday.

Hassan made the remarks while speaking to the members of Overseas Correspondents of Bangladesh (OCAB at the office of BGMEA.

Hassan said the ready-made garment industry in Bangladesh, with 30 years of experience, has turned into sourcing hub in the global market and demonstrated a spectacular growth in export over the past two decades.

He said Bangladesh is the largest exporter of cotton T-shirts and second largest exporter of cotton pullover and jeans for the European Union and the second largest exporter of cotton trousers to the United States by volume.

The BGMEA vice-president said although the low cost production of clothing is still an important competitive edge for Bangladesh, the increasing competition in the global apparel market has caused manufacturers to produce quality products, increase the commitment with buyers and social responsibility in factories, which have made Bangladesh a reliable option in the global supply of clothing.

At present, there are about 5,000 garment factories in Bangladesh and over two million workers are employed in the sector, 90 percent of them are women.

Bangladesh ranks 4th largest clothing exporter in world - GlobalTimes
hope all the RAW materials are indigenous too..then this sector has good potential--i've read soemwhere else abt cotton being imported from Indo/pak

The main resaon behind this phenominal increase is preferential treatment given to BD exports. Both EU and US have higher allocation of textile quotas for BD being one of least developed counteries in Asia.

EU and US are resisting Pakistani demands for favorable terms for Pakistani textiles on one pretext or other.

In USA pakistan enjoys more trade preferences than BD. Quota regime has long been gone. You probably in a deep sleep for a long long time.

Your industry should start using German machineries instead of Chinese, only then you should be able to compete in quality textile goods. That is what our indsutry is doing now.

I think BD is the 2nd largest exporter of garments goods after China as it overtook India and Turkey this year. BGMEA president did not quote it right.

@ bd_4_ever & iajdani

Congrats on this achievement. i have used BD made garments and i am a satisfied customer. Will be a continuing customer.
Cheers !

Congratulations to brother Bangladesh. Best of luck for future.

Textiles is highly price conscious and competitive area here timely and availability of raw materials at highly competitive rates is must. BD has to do something for this.

Congratulations to brother Bangladesh. Best of luck for future.

Textiles is highly price conscious and competitive area here timely and availability of raw materials at highly competitive rates is must. BD has to do something for this.

Textile and Ship building is in our blood and we been doing these for thousands of years. So dont worry, we are back in business and you are just seeing the tip of the icebarg now...

Beating China??? huh we could only dream.

Above you have said "tip of the icebarg" and now saying diffrent things. But don't worry as i have already said that you need to take care of raw material only.

Rest will fall in place as labor cost in china is increasing day by day and their hostile attitude and ego will led major nations to give chance to other countries like BD. Nothing is impossible.

Since indians are in so much in praise, why india block Bangladeshi export in india with tariff barrier???

Since indians are in so much in praise, why india block Bangladeshi export in india with tariff barrier???

They allowed tariff free 8 million pieces of garment import from BD. Still there are local taxes and other taxes applied on them. But I do welcome the first step and hope that the number bar will go in near future. We want free trade.

They allowed tariff free 8 million pieces of garment import from BD. Still there are local taxes and other taxes applied on them. But I do welcome the first step and hope that the number bar will go in near future. We want free trade.

One question asked and indians left you high and dry to fend for indian deception. I really pity you.

Back
Top Bottom