What's new

Bangladesh Navy

BNS Durgam
IMG_8363.JPG

Three more frigates?
It means another 3xUS Coast Guard cutters are going to retire soon after celebrating their 40+ birthday?
C 13B are just a downgraded version of Type 056 with no ASW suite.
For the Mings you should also think about buying a submarine salvage ship.

:cheers::cheers::toast_sign:
@Aung Zaya
that is funny when you bought 2nd hand chinese frigates even older than 2nd hand chinese frigates which BD bought, it is no surprise that you call C13B has downgraded version of Type056 when it has same or more firepower than your frigates :lol::lol:

I am talking about cold war era outdated Jianghu and Halmiton.

Two of our Jiang-hu's are actually newer than yours and more potent. Your F21 and F23 are Jianghu-II class (053H1). We have a Type 053H1 as well (BNS Osman), but we also have two Type 053H2's.

1. 535 黄石 / Huangshi - Sold to Bangladesh Navy as BNS Abu Bakar (F15).
2. 536 芜湖 / Wuhu - Sold to Bangladesh Navy as BNS Ali Haider (F17).

But Jiang-hu's and Hamiltons are not active combatants in our Navy. Their role is best described as cadet training and maybe -support. Our forces goal 2030 for Navy is not even near completion. You will see a lot more between now and 2030.

Syed1 - you made my day. :-)

C 13B are just a downgraded version of Type 056 with no ASW suite.
Do not propagate false information. The two C13B corvettes BN bought possess higher firepower than even the Type 056 LPC. Go and read upto the last line below:

Two C13B Corvettes Delivered to Bangladesh Navy by Chinese Shipyard

Two C13B Corvettes, BNS Shadhinota (F111) and BNS Prottoy (F112), were delivered to the Bangladesh Navy at the China Shipbuilding & Offshore International Company (CSOC)'s Wuchang Shipyard in Wuhan, China. CSOC is part of the part of the State Shipbuilding Corporation, China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC). The C13B-class of corvette is based on the Type 056 Jiangdao class in use with the PLAN.

C13B_Corvette_Bangladesh_Navy.jpg

BNS Prottoy (F112) corvette of the Bangladesh Navy during sea trials

"With a displacement of 1300 tons, the 90-meter long and 11-meter wide corvettes are of China’s most advanced export warship type. And they will be the key warships of Bangladesh Navy" according to Zhu Xuejun, chief engineer of the CSIC.

“Decked out with powerful weapons, the vessels are able to sail at a max speed of 25.5 knots on the high seas. They have comprehensive combat capacity and excellent maneuverability,” Zhu said.

BNS Shadhinota (F111) was launched in November 2014 and BNS Prottoy (F112) was launched in January this year.

Bangladesh C13B-class corvette retains most of the sensor and weapon systems found on board Chinese Navy Type 056 corvettes:
» 4x C-803 (export version of YJ-83) Anti-ship missiles (2 launchers with 2 missiles each)
» 1x FL-3000N (export version of AJK-10 / HQ-10) Surface to air missile launcher (8x missiles)
» 1x H/PJ-26 76mm main gun (similar to Russian AK-176)
» 2x H/PJ-17 30mm dual mode (auto/manual) remote controlled naval turret

The Bangladesh Navy corvette however will be fitted with one Type 730 CIWS, and two Type 3200 ASW rocket launchers will replace the two triple torpedo launchers

Last edited:
superstructure-of-asw-lpc-at-ksybn-nears-completion-001_zpsbhpjfzes.jpg

superstructure-of-asw-lpc-at-ksybn-nears-completion-002_zpsvktcbjwo.jpg

Images copyright BDMilitary.com

Although I was happy to see the hull and superstructure fit-out started - I was somewhat disappointed to see the super lax security around the vessel.

Typically for defense ships being floated for the first time, you will see a floating steel net barrier all around the ship as a security measure. In some cases - civilian boat traffic is prohibited from coming at least 200 feet near defense ships.

Here you can see all manner of floating unknown 'majhis' gathering around a critical defense installation worth tens of millions and there is nothing stopping rogue actors from carrying out anything sinister .....:rolleyes::disagree:

Two of our Jiang-hu's are actually newer than yours and more potent. Your F21 and F23 are Jianghu-II class (053H1). We have a Type 053H1 as well (BNS Osman), but we also have two Type 053H2's.

1. 535 黄石 / Huangshi - Sold to Bangladesh Navy as BNS Abu Bakar (F15).
2. 536 芜湖 / Wuhu - Sold to Bangladesh Navy as BNS Ali Haider (F17).

But Jiang-hu's and Hamiltons are not active combatants in our Navy. Their role is best described as cadet training and maybe -support. Our forces goal 2030 for Navy is not even near completion. You will see a lot more between now and 2030.

Syed1 - you made my day. :-)
I wonder from where you get your source that it is a training ship...? As far as I know... after the British frigate was retired after the fire broke out... they plan to convert the cutter to training ships.

There is an article on BD military on the next frigate of BD. "Bangladesh Navy to build next generation frigates indigenously". Is that a Korean or Chinese type ?

There is an article on BD military on the next frigate of BD. "Bangladesh Navy to build next generation frigates indigenously". Is that a Korean or Chinese type ?

I would take half the articles published in BDMilitary with a pinch of salt. Let's just say we don't know yet. If they claim to know - then I'd question it.

Photos (undoctored) are good proof. Until then - everything is speculation.

My money is on the Chinese type 054 - but Korean Daewoo FFX class (Incheon-class frigate) could also happen. Whatever it is - I'm sure BN would want ToT to build them here, and stealth and VLS features. Being that these would be the lead ships of the Navy, they would also need common standardized Electronic Naval Warfare suites, with Electronic Support Measures (ESM), Electronic Counter-Measures (ECM) and Electronic Counter-Counter-Measures (ECCM).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom