What's new

Bangladesh Navy

I think this essentially confirms to a high degree of confidence that these four ships from Italian Navy (Marina Militare) will be Minerva Class (don't know with or without Aspide - but the fact that the news article talks about 'OPV' means probably without.) Of course I'd be happier if these four ships would have been the ready-to-be-surplused Maestrale class frigates - but something is better than nothing (Shamsuddiner betar ghorer nati).

Interesting that Pakistan uses the latest variant of the Aspide (Sea Sparrow copy - Aspide 2000). China ordered the Aspide back in the 80's to develop the HQ-6 which has now been passed over for the improved HQ-7a or FM-90.

famiglia-minerva.jpg_zpslxupnwbj.png

Urania_F552.jpg
actually its not going to be the Minerva-class.... its the Cassiopea-class.... :)

actually its not going to be the Minerva-class.... its the Cassiopea-class.... :)

Thanks for the information and my bad (my sources were supposedly reliable - BN, but guess not). The Cassiopea class is a bit smaller than the Minerva class (Also built by Fincantieri) and is a true OPV, yet still has a rear helodeck. Still very compact - sort of like a Fiat 500 'Cinquecento' :-). Anyway we shall see by this year - two are supposedly due by 2015 :-)

151177.jpg

(Image copyright shipspotting.com)

No its Minerva. Latest purchase committee meeting approved that as Minerva class.

News Details
"The vessels will be procured from the Italian Navy under government-to-government level agreement," Mustafizur Rahman, Joint Secretary of Cabinet Division, told reporters after the meeting.

He added, "The four Minerva class corvette offshore patrol vessels will require cost of 10.50 crore Euro."

Last edited:
Not its Minerva. Latest purchase committee meeting approved that as Minerva class.

News Details
thanks for the news.... first news was of Minerva, then it came out 'confirmed' as Cassiopea.... but as its quoted by official sources, it has to be taken as final..... :)

Thanks for the information and my bad (my sources were supposedly reliable - BN, but guess not). The Cassiopea class is a bit smaller than the Minerva class (Also built by Fincantieri) and is a true OPV, yet still has a rear helodeck. Still very compact - sort of like a Fiat 500 'Cinquecento' :-). Anyway we shall see by this year - two are supposedly due by 2015 :-)

151177.jpg

(Image copyright shipspotting.com)
my mistake.... its changed yet again.... now its back to Minerva-class..... so, you're right.... :)

I think this essentially confirms to a high degree of confidence that these four ships from Italian Navy (Marina Militare) will be Minerva Class (don't know with or without Aspide - but the fact that the news article talks about 'OPV' means probably without.) Of course I'd be happier if these four ships would have been the ready-to-be-surplused Maestrale class frigates - but something is better than nothing (Shamsuddiner betar ghorer nati).

Interesting that Pakistan uses the latest variant of the Aspide (Sea Sparrow copy - Aspide 2000). China ordered the Aspide back in the 80's to develop the HQ-6 which has now been passed over for the improved HQ-7a or FM-90.

famiglia-minerva.jpg_zpslxupnwbj.png

Urania_F552.jpg
since we inducting 4 type 56 corvate why BN is interested to bought that old platfrom (Minerva Class) ? it,s cost too much to me (10.50 crore Euro). we can easyly build more of this type 56 corvate in bangladesh navy shipyeards. plz provide some more details.......:raise:

i want more of this ship..........:feminist:
HozzPZL.jpg

Last edited:
since we inducting 4 type 56 corvate why BN is interested to bought that old platfrom (Minerva Class) ? it,s cost too much to me (10.50 crore Euro). we can easyly build more of this type 56 corvate in bangladesh navy shipyeards. plz provide some more details.......:raise:

i want more of this ship..........:feminist:
HozzPZL.jpg
Minerva class is for coast guard. 056 class Is for navy. 056 class will also be built locally.

Sad to see no bow-mounted sonar on this type either. Our foreign policy is built on appeasement and cow-towing to big-brother pressures.

Even if bow sonar is absent - they could still use towed array sonars (TAS). I wonder if TAS is more accurate for locating submarines at longer range in varying sea conditions....where is Mr. @Penguin when we need his expert opinion :-)

Low_frequency_towed_sonar.png

Even if bow sonar is absent - they could still use towed array sonars (TAS). I wonder if TAS is more accurate for locating submarines at longer range in varying sea conditions....where is Mr. @Penguin when we need his expert opinion :-)

Low_frequency_towed_sonar.png
you can install a sonar under the hull even if its not on the bow... that way, you can actually install a bigger sonar than you could have if it was installed on the bow.... remember than sonar sizes are dictated by the size of the ship.... a bow sonar on a ship like this would've been very small....

Bit of old news ,,,,

BNS Somudro Joy leaves for Maldives

Bangladesh Navy Ship Somudro Joy left Chittagong Naval Jetty Sunday for Maldives on an emergency basis, taking five mobile desalination plants for water purification and 100 tonnes bottled water. The country declared Thursday a 'disaster situation' after a fire at a desalination plant that led to a drinking water crisis in Male. The ship will reach Maldives December 11.

Here it is docked at Port of Male.

HgUzo4J.jpg

Some new prototype construction images from Khulna Shipyard (looks like Naval Seal transport).
386452_190710041024006_341421838_n.jpg

386452_190710051024005_1060255725_n.jpg

Admiral Rabinder "Robin" Kumar (R.K.) Dhowan PVSM AVSM YSM ADC, the current Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy visited KHULNA SHIPYARD LTD recently. KSY is owned and operated by the Bangladesh Navy.

1620586_781884855239852_1380848789846990808_n.jpg

Couple of naval products from the medium sized yard at Narayanganj (DEW operated by BN). Mostly for coast guard harbor patrol but some for Navy.

Local-made quality, instrumentation and fitting out (GPS, Radar etc.) has definitively improved...even for smaller craft....

DSCF2327.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

DSCF2487.jpg

DSCF3037.jpg

Couple of naval products from the medium sized yard at Narayanganj (DEW operated by BN). Mostly for coast guard harbor patrol but some for Navy.

Local-made quality, instrumentation and fitting out (GPS, Radar etc.) has definitively improved...even for smaller craft....

DSCF2327.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

DSCF2487.jpg

DSCF3037.jpg
Those HPB's looks awesome!!:cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom