What's new

Bangladesh Naval Commando Operations in the 1971 war: Operation Jackpot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bangladeshi Soldiers are second to none

When you decided to sabotage their ships Bangladesh's Armed Forces Officers succeded in accomplisihng their objective of destroying Pakistani Ships - rendering them useless for attacking Bangladesh

LeonBlack. buddy do you know that you defeating Pakistan is taken up as Case Studies because of the brilliant strategy you applied to achieve the most comprehensive defeat any country has imposed on another country in War Colleges in the US and UK

Bangladesh is truly blesssed to have been a country were such brave and daring Officers have served their country with pride

[Okay, now Pakistani member might challenge my statement that their 1971 defeat is taken as Case study in military strategy and planning by War Colleges in the US and UK.
Let me clarify to you that this had been told to my friends father who is currently a Colonel and was part of the Indian Army contingent that took part in the international endurance and tactical competition in Africa. His fellow officers from the US and UK had informed him so.
Some US and UK members of this forum could be requested to clarify this statement to remove any lingering doubts]

Since you look like a fond of Naval case studies let me share you another case study. This one describes how a navy of lot smaller size defeated the major naval power of the region.

Operation Dwarka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are right that Bangladeshi soldiers are second to none. Let me enlighten you with Major Zia’s achievement.

During the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, Zia served in the Khemkaran sector in Punjab as the commander of a company unit of 300–500 soldiers. The sector was the scene of the most intense battles between the rival armies. Zia's unit won one of the highest numbers of gallantry awards for heroic performances.[6] Ziaur Rahman himself won the distinguished and prestigious Hilal-e-Jurat medal , and his unit won 7 Sitara-e-Jurat medals and 12 Tamgha-e-Jurat medals from the Pakistani government for their brave roles in the 1965 War with India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziaur_Rahman

Last edited:
I totally understand why some Bengali's would take pride in such actions in 1971 conflict. The outcome however was not in any way beneficial to Pakistanis and certainly not the Bengalis. The only beneficiary was Hindustan. It broke free of its encirclement by a united Muslim nation.

Since you look like a fond of Naval case studies let me share you another case study. This one describes how a navy of lot smaller size defeated the major naval power of the region.

Operation Dwarka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you let go of your feeling of smugness and spare a minute to read the wiki link you have posted...it says exactly the opposite of what you claim...:woot:

Indian and Pakistani navies played no significant roles and that the "insignificant bombardment"[1] of the town was a "limited engagement, with no strategic value."[2]

If you let go of your feeling of smugness and spare a minute to read the wiki link you have posted...it says exactly the opposite of what you claim...:woot:

This line describes the view of only two authors who think like that. They are not the authority to decide the strategic importance of the attack. The fact is that the attack was successful, strategic importance is a further question.

Authors like Lorne John Kavic and Lowell Dittmer have noted that both Indian and Pakistani navies played no significant roles and that the "insignificant bombardment"[1] of the town was a "limited engagement, with no strategic value."[2]

the thing which has more importance is:

It was aimed at luring the major ships anchored in Bombay to attack the Pakistan ships. The intention was that the submarine PNS Ghazi lurking in the Arabian Sea would then take out the Indian ships. Accordingly a fleet of seven ships comprising PNS Babur, PNS Khaibar, PNS Badr, PNS Jahangir, PNS Alamgir, PNS Shahjahan and PNS Tipu Sultan set sail for Dwarka and bombed the tiny town. All of the primary objectives were achieved. The radar installations were destroyed, casualties were high in the town and more importantly the Indian Navy's ships were kept at bay.

Pakistan’s main aim was to destroy the radar installations which were guiding the attacks on Karachi and the objective was successfully achieved without any damage.

Last edited:
why is operation dwarka being discussed here?
it was a pakistani naval operation...not a bangladeshi one...why do we need to flex our muscles everytime?

[/QUOTE]the thing which has more importance is:
All of the primary objectives were achieved. The radar installations were destroyed, casualties were high in the town and more importantly the Indian Navy's ships were kept at bay.[/B]

Pakistan’s main aim was to destroy the radar installations which were guiding the attacks on Karachi and the objective was successfully achieved without any damage.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE, PLEASE just read the Wikipedia entry once, just once.......

It says the exact opposite of what you are saying:no:

And now, lets come back to the topic!

Well I will say that:

It would have been much better had East Pakistan been given an independent status without all the PAIN, MISERY and BLOODSHED.

While many of my fellow countrymen would not agree with me but East Pakistan had to beome Bangladesh sooner or later.

When the WHEEL OF FATE turns, nothing can stop it.

Today, we still discusss ALTERNATE SCENARIOS with ACHING HEARTS but it is better that we MOVE ON.

My grandfather was almost killed by one of these characters back in 71, Thankfully he heard something, turned around and saw the fellow. Alerted a guard who shot the assailant.

There are factual mistake in Operation Jackpot.The Commando Operation has to be Edited.
24 Commondos mined six foreign owned ships.The Mongla Operation was leaded by Aminur Rahman,Khosru who was the most yongest among Naval commandos and got the command for Mongla port.260 commondos took part in that operation of 15th August 1971.Among them 60 were Naval commandos and 200 C&C Special trained land Commandos who gave the naval commandos covering during operation.These are facts and these facts could be seen in Wikipedia in Operation Jackpot in Operation Part further in Mongla operation.I shall be too glad if you please edit this for readers.Its very important that reader read the fact.
Best regards,

Foxtord50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom