What's new

Bangladesh is way too Dhaka-centric

Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Even this Indian visitor managed to form this impression during his short stay in the country, something us Bangladeshis know all to well. Dhaka receives excessively high central government funding. You can understand them receiving higher share than others as it's the capital, and the city most likely to showcase Bangladesh, but the differences should be narrowed. I think you have to aim for 3 or 4 world class cities at least.

An Indian’s view of Bangladesh : part 1 | The New Horizon

Even this Indian visitor managed to form this impression during his short stay in the country, something us Bangladeshis know all to well. Dhaka receives excessively high central government funding. You can understand them receiving higher share than others as it's the capital, and the city most likely to showcase Bangladesh, but the differences should be narrowed. I think you have to aim for 3 or 4 world class cities at least.

Based on info from the link you are given, he traveled 8 to 10 yrs back to BD. From then to now lot has changed in the world, especially in India.

To experience the culture and customs of Bangladesh then visiting the village is your best option. Bangladesh has a lot of diversity even though it is such a small country, from Dhaka to Sylhet to CTG.

Based on info from the link you are given, he traveled 8 to 10 yrs back to BD. From then to now lot has changed in the world, especially in India.
My mistake, I thought it was a recent piece. In terms of changes over the last 8 years or so, so has Bangladesh, particularly Dhaka. My argument about Dhaka is still true. In Sylhet a lot of the progress has been people-led, rather than heavily government-assisted.

I have to agree with you about India's development over the last 10 years or so, but just recently foreign companies are also increasingly being lured to Bangladesh. I do think we need to focus on high-end industries. Pharma is a bit of a strength of ours, info tech needs to be developed more strongly, while textile needs to remain the prime sector for few more years. Wage increases in China will likely shift some Western companies to shift their manufacturing to Bangladesh in the coming years.

Last edited:

i used to hold a theory that people and capital would naturally move elsewhere especially to Chittagong and Sylhet, as Dhaka becomes overburdened

i used to hold a theory that people and capital would naturally move elsewhere especially to Chittagong and Sylhet, as Dhaka becomes overburdened
It's better people stay in their own cities unless they have to move. I still think its important Dhaka still retains some of the favoured-city status because one great city can make a great difference to the image of a whole country. Mumbai I think is a good example. But I can understand the frustrations of people in other major cities in Bangladesh, probably feeling a little let down. Too many influential MPs and government staff are from Dhaka so it's no surprise they will lobby for their own city especially considering how city-centric us Bangladeshis are.

It's better people stay in their own cities unless they have to move. I still think its important Dhaka still retains some of the favoured-city status because one great city can make a great difference to the image of a whole country. Mumbai I think is a good example. But I can understand the frustrations of people in other major cities in Bangladesh, probably feeling a little let down. Too many influential MPs and government staff are from Dhaka so it's no surprise they will lobby for their own city especially considering how city-centric us Bangladeshis are.
influential MPs and other staff actually tend to be from all over the country with somewhat higher representation from districts where ruling party has good base. decentralization away from Dhaka (and in a way, away from Ctg as well as these are two cosmopolitan centres) is as much in the interest of non-Dhaka residents as it is of Dhaka residents. what is the whole 'New Dhaka' area is essentially everyone from all over moving there. this process needs to be slowed/stopped/reversed

Idiots are fighting if BD should join India or West bengal sould join BD,Cant believe average BD is so delusional :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

When the inevitable balkanization of India happens, we should annex the coastal regions of west bengal and rename west bengal dalitland. Then we should export all the hindus and bengali nationalists to daliland so that they can live in harmony and peace.

When the inevitable balkanization of India happens, we should annex the coastal regions of west bengal and rename west bengal dalitland. Then we should export all the hindus to daliland so that they can live in harmony and peace.

:lol:

Excellent.

Back
Top Bottom